Skip navigation

Question about Hegemony Rome and DRM.

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > Question about Hegemony Rome and DRM.
Level 7 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on February 20, 2014 at 3:03 am

Ever since playing Hegemony: Philip of Macedon I've been really looking forward to Hegemony Rome. I'm glad to see it's finally available for early access on Steam but I have a few concerns before I spend money on it. Mainly I'm wondering if there's going to be a DRM-free version of Hegemony Rome, like there was with the previous games? If so, will people who buy it on Steam get access to the DRM-free version? I vaguely recall this being the case with Hegemony: Philip of Macedon. I'm curious because I worry things could be different this time since this game is associated with Kalypso and the other one wasn't.

While I often tolerate Steam, I REALLY value DRM-free software. No, I'm not a pirate but I've been bitten badly by DRM too many times. So I'd like to know how things are going to work with Hegemony Rome. Also, I assume it has no other DRM besides Steam? That would be an absolute deal breaker.

Level 17 Extraplanar gamer
Posted on February 21, 2014 at 12:27 am

We do really appreciate your position on DRM and we will do everything we can to make sure our customers can always play the games they've purchased.

As you've noted, our distribution plans are a little different for Rome than they have been with our past games and this does mean we need to coordinate our distribution with Kalypso and their partners. It is our desire to eventually release the full version on our site, but at this point I can't confirm exactly how that will be handled.

Regardless, we don't usually have access to sales information from other distributors so unfortunately it's not generally possible for us to redeem purchases made on other sites.

Level 8 Human gamer
Alignment: Lawful good
Posted on March 14, 2014 at 4:42 pm

I there, i have the same concerns. I do have some games on steam but none for which i paid the full price...my confidence is limited. I am considering to buy the game but would also love to see it either on your site or on GOG...Kalypso has already "some" games there and i wished they would publish more on GOG.

Cheers

Level 7 Human gamer
Alignment: Lawful good
Posted on March 14, 2014 at 9:53 pm

No, I'm not a pirate

No real pirate hates DRM (perhaps some wannabe-pirates do, though), it's primarily the paying customer who has to suffer all the drawbacks of a cheap DRM method. Good (discreet) methods of copy protection that both guarantee relative safety for the, say, first week or so after the release (the bigger the franchise, the shorter the time, I'd say) and reliably discourage wannabe-pirates AND at the same time allow the customer to play the game without major restrictions are very rare, probably also more expensive or (thought to be) less secure for the publishers. The Tagès copy protection was a fine method (in those ancient days of CDs/DVDs), I think, but no recent DRM method seems to be as user-friendly as that one was.

Level 8 Human LINUX RULES
Posted on April 19, 2014 at 8:31 pm

I have been one of the followers and then buyers of Hegemony: Philip of Macedon and later gold version mainly because you offered drm-free and fairly priced games. Steam as a drm only platform (yes steamworks is drm) is a no go for me and the pricing at the moment is not fair - 24.99$ for US customers and 24.99€=35$ for EU customers. I will wait if you release the game on your website and buy it there or on gog.com if you do release it there. Im really disapointed. I understand your decision since you wan't broader user base and more sales. But did you have to go with the disaster called Kalypso (Tropico games excluded). Well either way hope you do have a big sucess with the game when it gets out of early access.