Skip navigation

Sandbox?

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > Sandbox?
Level 5 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on February 15, 2014 at 7:21 am

I made an account on here just to ask if we could please, please get sandbox mode going sooner rather than later. I can't speak for anyone else but if we have to hold production on smaller features like diplomacy and campaigns, so be it. If you feel the same way please post with me to see it done!

Level 9 Human Truffle Farmer
Alignment: Good
Posted on February 16, 2014 at 4:19 am

I agree. Sandbox mode is, by far, my favourite aspect. Even in Philip I enjoyed the more freeform Philip campaign rather than the more directly objective focused secondary campaigns.

This translates over to Rome too. I like the work that has been done on Caesar's Gallic campaigns but they really don't have the same appeal to me that something more sandboxy does. Really can't wait until the full sandbox is implemented.

Level 5 Human gamer
Posted on February 16, 2014 at 6:59 pm

I have similar feeling but... The sandbox in Gold was far worse to me than campaign mode due lack of any objectives. If we get the same sandbox in Rome it will be sad for me personally. Still developers say that Rome sandbox will have customized random objectives. This is something new and unclear, so I really like to see that because chapters in Rome doesn't have Gold campaign feeling also.

Level 5 Human gamer
Posted on February 17, 2014 at 6:13 am

Yes I'll admit Hegemony: Rome's campaign chapters are actually very good excellent story and some small sandbox feeling. Until you hit the edge of a very small part of the map, in their very short durations, even the two together was maybe two hours long(?)

I think most of the game, is in fact, the sandbox and the campaigns are just the tutorials. I want the freedom to conquer in the direction I want at the pace I want. If this means at the start of sandbox only being able to play the Romans whilst unlocking factions along the way, so be it. Also another compromise too this is maybe after you finish the campaign (Chpt. 2 (Yes I know it goes to 4 chapters)) to have it then unlock the rest of the map. But please make Sandbox a top and near first priority!

Level 9 Human gamer
Alignment: Chaotic evil
Posted on February 17, 2014 at 7:15 am

They cannot make sandbox a top priority, it is more important to fix the chapters first, so that everything in sandbox can flow great. Since sandbox can consume great hours of gameplay, you dont want it to crash often, or it will just ruin that "freedom". The more stable the game is, the better sandbox experience we will have.
Also i had a taste of sandbox in the early beta, i played it a bit and it felt great, until it crashed after 2 hours and couldn't resume it. It had a lot of tweaks before you began your game, regarding raiders, economy i believe etc etc. So your games could be a little different depending on the options you chooce.

Also the next 2 chapters, are said to be greater in length!!

Level 5 Human gamer
Posted on February 17, 2014 at 9:32 am

Yes, twice greater. And also they said that some additional optional objectives have to be added to chapters too.

Level 9 Human Truffle Farmer
Alignment: Good
Posted on February 17, 2014 at 9:53 am

I have similar feeling but... The sandbox in Gold was far worse to me than campaign mode due lack of any objectives.

VDimitry, you misunderstand exactly what I said. I felt that the Philip campaign, which was for the most part a very open-ended campaign, was good. I liked the objectives and the more casual way that you had to seek them out as you explored the map. The hegemony:gold sandbox, on the otherhand, was awful. It lacked a lot of the main features of Gold that made it so fascinating to play. Not to mention that the lack of any AI activity limited it.

The Rome sandbox though has great potential. AI factions expand on their own and the lack of major objective prompts all the time leads to an open ended game. Currently, the chapters are not quite to my liking. The push to accomplish objectives has a very linear feel. It is essentially narrowing the game into a long hallway. I will need to see if the later chapters open this up more but currently the 'go here and do this' style objective layout isn't doing it for me.

Level 5 Human gamer
Posted on February 17, 2014 at 10:04 am

Ok, then this is exactly my feelings here.

Level 5 Human gamer
Posted on February 17, 2014 at 7:48 pm

Blxz, I agree and like I said if they can make the Chapter 4 an open ended sandbox at the end of it then by all means pump out the chapters and lets get it done, but the sandbox is the heart and body, campaign being the limbs or etc.