Skip navigation

Cant play error problem installing

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > Cant play error problem installing
Level 8 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on February 13, 2014 at 11:11 pm

I brought the game of steam just now, it loaded perfectly and quick. But when trying to start this launcher error comes up

"Installation error. could not execute x64/Hegemony.Rome.exe"

Any ideas ??

Level 8 Human gamer
Alignment: Chaotic evil
Posted on February 14, 2014 at 12:04 am

Find your rome.exe on program files/steam, if you cant find it there is a chance your anti-virus, McAfee in particular(if you have it), has deleted the exe and doesn't let you play.
If that's the case, you need to disable the antivirus in order to play i think, putting your computer at risk of course. So i do not recommend it, unless you have another protection.(if you decide to do it, validate the game's files through steam before playing)
If that is not the case, then i do not know ^^

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on February 14, 2014 at 12:28 am

On the steam forum for the game, seems loads are having this issue, Rob the developer here is looking into it with mcafee, as its flagging up the games exe as a virus. Its a bit annoying and i dont want to turn real time scanning off so ill wait a bit till its sorted before playing

Level 17 Extraplanar gamer
Posted on February 14, 2014 at 3:10 am

I have asked McAfee for access to submit the exe for inclusion in their database, but I'm still waiting on a response. We may actually have an update ready before this gets resolved, but I'll post when I know more.

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on February 14, 2014 at 12:44 pm

Ok rob thanks for that, im personally cool waiting not sure others will be mind lol.

Level 17 Extraplanar gamer
Posted on February 14, 2014 at 10:30 pm

Ok rob thanks for that, im personally cool waiting not sure others will be mind lol.

I believe you can work around it by setting up an exception in mcafee or temporarily turning off real-time scanning, but I appreciate that not everyone is comfortable with that.

Level 5 Human gamer
Posted on March 2, 2014 at 9:32 pm

Has this issue been resolved? I paid for the pre-release, have not been able to play it, and still have a broke game. Yes i have McAfee, and no i really don't feel i should turn off real time scanning to play this game. I'm starting to feel like i have wasted my money, and will probably never get it back.

Level 8 Human Lord-General
Alignment: Lawful
Posted on March 4, 2014 at 1:49 pm

Eh, McAfee probably reckon they have "more important" things to do if it is dragging on. Did you try adding an exception yet? Been a while since I've used McAfee, but that should do the job without having to keep real-time scanning disabled.

Level 5 Human gamer
Posted on April 7, 2014 at 4:28 pm

I am having the same issue with Norton 360 AV. It's associating the Rome executable with Suspicious.Cloud.7.f, which I'm gathering is some sort of heuristic match. I know that the easy solution is just to tell Norton the file is ok, but frankly the whole idea of AV is to protect my system against unknown threats.

I will contact Norton to see what they say, but is there any alternative to feeling secure about the EXE? I guess verifying it against Steam is an option, but really could we get some sort of executable file date/byte count or something that will ensure we've got the right file?

Also, is there a central location for finding a resolution to this sort of problem? I'm sure the forum is filled with fascinating info about all the Longbow Games titles, but as my issue is with Hegemony Rome it would be nice to NOT wade through hundreds of unrelated threads. I tried searching, but that didn't seem to find anything related to the Norton error I am getting. Maybe an installation problems folder broken out by game title?

I'm guessing this error, while not common, is affecting more people as it seems to affect multiple AV products. I'd love to start playing the game, but not at the expense of my system security.

Thanks for any help, and I look forward to playing Hegemony Rome. Hegemony Gold was one of the most enjoyable games I've ever played, and I'm sure Rome will be equally as good if not better.