I wanted to give my first impression and provide feedback in terms of gameplay as well as technichal issues. I really like what I have seen in my nine hours of playing so far and want to contribute to make this an even better game :)
First of all, is there some device to report bugs directly? I am quite tech savvy and can provide specific bug descriptions.
For now I will just list them here:
1. In windowed mode, the interface does not adapt to a change of aspect ratio until the next restart
2. The description text of the slaves mentions that it can hold up to 40 slaves. That seems to only work if you capture a group that is bigger than 20; otherwise the maximum number is 20.
3. In chapter two I get a LUA exception, right after I capture the bridge west of Bratuspantium:
The instruction at 0x00000001404EDEED referenced memory at 0x0000000000000018. The memory could not be read.
Help us debug this script! Type 'clipboard(history())' to copy everything above into your clipboard, so you can send it to a dev!
4. Some weird pathing issues not only for the units but for the trade routes as well. I can not quite remember it from the top of my head, but if I can reproduce it I will certainly hand that in later.
5. The city improvements seem to do nothing. The nightwatch (and consecutive buildings) always give +0 morale which makes them utterly useless. Also, I tried to improve my recruit production which also ended in an incredible change from 2.3 per week to 2.3 per week.
In terms of gameplay, things that crossed my mind:
1. There are achievements for completing the chapters in less than x days. Maybe I overlooked it, but i could not find a calendar or something to see how much time already passed or at least get a feeling for time in the game. The same holds true for the seasons, I suspect that the icon right below the pause button represent the current season, but the tooltip justs mentions the pause button.
2. If I try to capture a city with a unit that has no food and no morale left all that is needed by the defenders is a unit with one (!) manpower to drive them away, even if that one also has no morale. Yes, they do not have any morale, but nonetheless 40 people should not be driven away by only one. That just does not feel right. In terms of mechanic maybe it should not even be possible to issue anything else than movement orders to units with no morale. Or maybe have some kind of intimidation stat that is required for routing.
3. I do not quite get the manpower reinforcements. If a unit is inside a city with the same, let's call it 'ethnicity', it will be reinforced. But if unit and city do not match, reinforcements happen nonetheless although at a much lower rate. How does this work? Is it some kind of resource transportation or does this just work the same but with lower speed?
That's it for now, I will add points here as they come along.