Skip navigation

gameplay comment, disengaging from combat, ROE.

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > gameplay comment, disengaging from combat, ROE.
Level 7 Human Master & Commander, HMS Spitfire
Alignment: Lawful
Posted on February 8, 2014 at 2:04 am

It seems you can't disengage from combat as you could in Gold. There should be some chance to disengage, especially for cavalry and skirmishers.

There could be a morale cost to represent disorder from the maneuver and to discourage micromanagement to get successive charge bonuses. Maybe units with a guerrilla trait or skill would have less or no penalty.

The old TacOps alllwed you to set ROE (rules of engagement) for each unit. I think I've seen the concept elsewhere, too. For example, avoid engagement or defend to the death. It was too complicated, but ROE would reduce the need for babysitting. It would give archers and javelineers a fighting chance.

Level 16 Extraplanar gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on February 9, 2014 at 11:23 pm

We haven't purposely changed it from gold, but the underlying unit movement/combat code has all changed so it doesn't surprise me if it feels a little different.

It definitely makes sense to have the non-melee units be able to run away (I still have plans for some auto melee-avoidance behaviour for them), but I like the idea of adding some extra depth to the general engagement logic as well. I'll keep it in mind as we go forward.