Skip navigation

First Impression of Rome

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > First Impression of Rome
Level 5 Human English-Norwegian translator
Alignment: Lawful
Posted on February 3, 2014 at 11:03 pm

Here's my first impression. I haven't had that much time to look at the game yet but I will update this post over the coming days.

Apart from the text not being synchronized with the speech in cut scenes I must say the game is looking rather good although the terrain often gets in the way and makes it hard to see what's happening on the ground, which can be frustrating at times.

Settings screen (in Options):
If you keep clicking the + or - buttons you wrap around to the start. I think it would be better if they stopped at the lowest and highest setting to avoid unnecessary clicking, since you don't at first know if the highest setting is High or Highest or even Medium (for Shader Detail - why not just call it High when the only other option is Low?). I also think it would also help if the + and - buttons were beside each other instead of so far apart. I know this is all very minor but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

Chapter I:
You're told to select the Destroy option on the bridge by Genava, but the option is actually called Demolish. I suggest you change all occurrences of "Demolish" to "Destroy". Also, it looks like it should be possible to click a bigger area to select the bridge. The selection box seems rather small compared to the physical size of the bridge.

Right-hand side objectives: Why not move them closer to the 5 top right buttons?

I'd like to be able to resize the event log by dragging it up or down. It only shows 5 lines, which is very little.

When merging Labienus, the menu says "Merge Slaves" and the tooltip corresponded to this. The option should say "Merge Unit" or something similar, depending on the context.

Posted on February 4, 2014 at 11:26 pm

I think setting up supply routes should be taught after Caesar gets to Eporedia, so the player can set up a supply route to the camp by Salassorum. I have played the previous game and know how to do this but new players will not know this.

I also managed to get Labienus and his troops stuck on the red border west of Lemincum (path not found) trying to get to Lugdunum. Actually, I can't see how I am supposed to get to Lugdunum since the river and the red border are blocking my movement. I tried loading another game and reloading my latest save and they're still stuck.

Link to save game: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hvmoo4wujrq99e8/Units%20stuck.HegemonyRomeSaveGame

Posted on February 4, 2014 at 11:55 pm

I found a ford by accident and managed to get across the river to Lugdunum. Perhaps the roads could be made a little bit darker so they stand out more? Or perhaps fords could be made easier to spot?

Posted on February 5, 2014 at 8:02 pm

I managed to get another unit stuck by crossing the read line east of Lemincum. Once you do you can't cross back. I suspect this could happen in lots of places.
Save game: https://www.dropbox.com/s/f1uiv7x2s0e8nzj/Stuck%20II.HegemonyRomeSaveGame

Posted on February 5, 2014 at 10:41 pm

Left the game running for a few hours while I went out. When I came back I got an invalid call error: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jhug3ejgldghorq/Invalid_call.jpg

Memory dump: https://www.dropbox.com/s/mrytx65ak2v9zot/Hegemony_Rome_1_9_99%20rev_29305%20Feb05.dmp

Posted on February 7, 2014 at 10:18 pm

I have downloaded 1.9.99 rev29436 x64. Units still get stuck if they manage to cross the red line. I can provide a save if necessary. It's very easy to replicate, especially with Caesar.