Skip navigation

Possibly Awkward Question About Rome Beta Test

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > Possibly Awkward Question About Rome Beta Test
Level 9 Human Gamer
Alignment: Good
Posted on February 3, 2014 at 12:41 am

Hey Everyone.

Got got accepted into Hegemony Rome's Beta and I couldn't be happier right now.
I put my Steam key in and am downloading now.

I had a question that may or may not be awkward though.

I was originally planning on purchasing the game on Steam as soon as it's available to purchase.
So I was wondering if my beta key will only be good for the next ~week? Or do I officially own the game now?
What I mean is do I have the game forever or only for the beta?

Sorry if it's been asked before or is posted somewhere.. and I'm greatly looking forward to playing.
Just would be nice to know ahead of time if and when I'll need to re-purchase, if at all.

Thanks,
Vince

Level 9 Human gamer
Alignment: Chaotic evil
Posted on February 3, 2014 at 2:19 am

I believe, your key will be usable for Steam early access, in one weak or so. Which means you get to keep the game.

Quote from Rob
"Officially, we will be closing it down Feb 12 and everybody who's been testing so far will automatically get updated to the Early Access release (and eventually the full version)"

Level 17 Extraplanar gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on February 4, 2014 at 1:03 am

Yep, there's technically no difference on steam between the beta, early access and full release so everybody who has it now will still have it as we go forward.

The main difference is that after the 12th we'll be password protecting the 'beta' branch that's currently accessible in the game properties page. However, we will be making this accessible to current testers who want to help pre-screen releases before they go active to the full Early Access group.

Level 9 Human Gamer
Posted on February 4, 2014 at 1:06 am

I was wondering about the beta section under the betas tab.
Does it currently do anything?

I mean can we access a more beta beta? hehe
Or is that just for future use?

Level 17 Extraplanar gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on February 6, 2014 at 12:33 am

Yes, the "beta" version in the properties tab is used for less polished versions that we're still testing. We usually keep updates in the "beta" branch for a few days before updating the main version just to make sure we haven't broken anything significant.

At the moment, both versions are identical but we should have a beta update in the next day or so.

Level 8 Human Truffle Farmer
Posted on February 6, 2014 at 12:47 am

At the moment, both versions are identical but we should have a beta update in the next day or so.

Excellent. I've been doing most of my playing offline but I'll make sure to stay near my interwebs access point for a bit longer.