Skip navigation

Closed Beta and Early Access

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > Closed Beta and Early Access
Level 17 Extraplanar gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on February 1, 2014 at 3:56 am

By now most of you have probably heard that we'll going to be launching Hegemony through Steam's Early Access program on Feb 12. We've always been interested in the program but we weren't actually planning this when we started the closed beta. However, we've really appreciated everyone's feedback so far and this seemed a good way of carrying the beta forward to the next level.

So, what does this mean for the closed beta? Officially, we will be closing it down Feb 12 and everybody who's been testing so far will automatically get updated to the Early Access release (and eventually the full version).

However, even during Early Access we will still need to double check our builds before they go live to the wider audience so we will still be keeping the 'beta' branch active for internal testing and for a limited number of external testers. The only catch is that we ask anyone testing this beta version to keep feedback on our forums rather than on steam so it doesn't get confusing.

And the last bit of news: we've got a lot of testing to do before the early access launch so we will be sending out a few more beta codes over the weekend. Unfortunately, we still won't be able to include everybody who applied, but for those who don't make this cut we hope you join in the with Early Access.

Level 9 Human gamer
Posted on February 1, 2014 at 3:52 pm

A little off topic, will you guys be selling a non-Steam version of Rome (or allow us to buy it through you and get a steam code) so that you get the full profit from it without Steam getting a cut?

Posted on February 1, 2014 at 4:01 pm

Thanks, we appreciate the sentiment. Nothing is final right now, and retail decisions are really Kalypso's territory, but it was our plan from the beginning to have Rome available on our site just like Gold and Philip were. At the moment we're concentrating on the Early Access launch which will be Steam only, but as we get closer to the full release we'll announce more.

Posted on February 2, 2014 at 6:09 am

Just a quick status update on the beta ... normally we try to get an update out by the end of the week, but we've been working on some fairly significant AI & scripting changes and combined with the Early Access announcement we didn't quite make it. We've got a few things to tidy up on monday, but we're hoping the next build will be out by tuesday.

Posted on February 2, 2014 at 9:37 pm

Just finished sending out the last batch of codes for the closed beta. Unfortunately, we still had far too many applicants than we could accept. So if you didn't receive an invite today, thanks for your interest and we hope you join us when we launch on Early Access.

Level 5 Human gamer
Alignment: Lawful
Posted on February 3, 2014 at 5:59 am

So early access will be the 12.02?

Posted on February 4, 2014 at 1:05 am

Yes, the game will launch on Early Access on Feb 12 so anybody who still wants to get involved and give feedback can join in then.

Level 9 Human Evil Overlord
Alignment: Chaotic evil
Posted on February 4, 2014 at 3:55 pm

Level 5 Human gamer
Posted on February 5, 2014 at 9:46 pm

Wow! Congratulations!

How do you feel about us starting to make YouTube videos to the wider public when the game reaches Early Access on Jan 12? Does Longbow encourage YouTube Let's Playing/coverage? Would you mind if I do a YouTube video featuring Hegemony Rome a few days before? I's not like I have thousands of subscribers, but I have a few followers on YouTube who would surely be interested in knowing about the Early Access and I've been on about the Hegemony-series on my channel quite a bit already.