Skip navigation

what's going on?

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Tread Marks > what's going on?
Level 13 Human gamer
Alignment: Chaotic
Posted on September 2, 2005 at 10:48 pm

ok, first, I SCREWED UP, I admit that. I made assumptions about things that were incorrect.

I have a life away from this community. Recently, it's been taking more of my time away from here than usual. I'm not going to apologise for this, server admin is a volunteer job, and it sure doesn't pay bills.

When the new server was first installed, I had no FTP access because the account I was using hadn't been recreated. After regaining FTP access, I looked over the folders on the server, and everything seemed to be ok, but as logscan was not setup yet, I had no way of testing. I tried getting help from the people who were best able to assist, and received no replies or was told that it wasn't their problem.

After receiving word that everything was finally ready to go, real life kicks me again, can't test anything, so lets go live and fix problems as they arise.

Welcome to today. I've now had my logscan account deleted, the FTP password changed, and anyone with any control over the situation has decided to ignore me.

What is going on?

Level 13 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on September 3, 2005 at 2:14 am

I dunno... :(

Keep yer head up and thanks fer trying to keep things running! I'm sure an email to the proper people can clear things up...mistakes happen... ;) :shock: :?

Level 15 Human Jack-of-all-trades
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on September 3, 2005 at 2:42 pm

Sorry to hear you are running into standard IT disregard of its user base.

Were you trying to contact Jim directly for some administrative intervention?

Could you have relinquished some control to your management subordinates or partners?

Was anyone will to help you? I remember seeing a couple of volunteers.

Level 13 Human Sr Code Monkey
Location: lost in the evil lands, of soccer-mom piloted minivans....
Posted on September 3, 2005 at 8:37 pm

I had the passwords changed for the simple reason that ever since the LDA server was moved, *I* had to take care of basically everything. All Kv needed to do was test the servers. Serveral times I contacted him to do this. He NEVER responded. No heads up. Nothing. No message saying he's too busy, or that it was done.

Then we find out that a server was missing nearly every file.

Yes, people have real life responsibilities that come first, but if you can't take care of something, then say so. You don't sit on it. The reason I havent posted this the moment the hammer fell, is because I had a real like issue to deal with.

For now, I'll deal with the technicals (like I've been doing for the past couple of months) and Pablito will take care of the adverts and getting map picks. We will ned a replacement for Kv, since I know certain people will not like the idea that I'm handling the servers.

The position is *alot* of work, and communication is a must. So if there are any takers, say so.

Level 13 Human gamer
Alignment: Chaotic evil
Posted on September 3, 2005 at 9:12 pm

Would it be alright if you put a list of like things this person needs to do? I may be able to do something... *whistles* ... :mrgreen:

Level 16 Human gamer
Posted on September 3, 2005 at 9:16 pm

This is not the best place to have this discussion, but since its here. It's faulty to single handedly remove an elected server admin from their position without forewarning or consensus reasoning.

Second, the server admin job is draining and time consuming. I wouldn't mind helping with kvs workload, but to seminally dismiss him, I do have problems with.

Level 13 Human Sr Code Monkey
Location: lost in the evil lands, of soccer-mom piloted minivans....
Posted on September 3, 2005 at 10:12 pm

and I have problems with "community elected officials" having me do thier work.

I don't mind helping, but this is ridiculous.

Or you expect me to do the work, just because you picked someone who simply can't/won't?

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on September 4, 2005 at 9:44 am

Everything's resolved. Half-truths and misinformation. End of discussion.

Can I get a lock over here?

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on September 4, 2005 at 6:12 pm

KV COULDN'T RUN THINGS WITH THE HELP OF KILLER. HE IS GOING TO RUN THEM WITHOUTH HIS HELP NOW?

LOOK AT THE FACTS: 3 MONTHS NO EVENTS! NO INFORMATION PROVIDED, AND FINALLY IM GETTING BLAMED FOR MY VOLUNTEERING JOB.

KILLER IS OUT AND SO AM I.

GOOD JOB KV.