Skip navigation

Hegemony Gold Walls Question

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > Hegemony Gold Walls Question
Level 9 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on January 21, 2014 at 12:15 pm
Tagged: walls hegemony gold

So I've played several iterations of Hegemony and I'm not exactly clear what the latest effect of walls is (aside from the obvious defensive one).

I've read that walls cost money to maintain (they used to cost pop, remember that?), and I've also read that they double the amount of tax from each pop point. If both of those statements is true, then there must be a sweet spot in which walls for cities over a certain population are always a good idea (at least for native cities).

Any definitive answers? I can't figure out if it makes sense to just put a wall around every native city in the game, or if it would pay to tear them down as it did in previous versions.

PS -- this game gets better every time I play it, and I've had it since the day it came out. Can't wait for Rome.

Level 17 Extraplanar gamer
Posted on January 25, 2014 at 4:55 pm

Sorry for the slow response. I've been working on Rome for so long I had to go back and look at the code for the old games to make sure I was remembering it correctly.

In the original Philip of Macedon game, you're correct that walls required at least three population points and increased the income generated by a city. The idea was to recreate the situation where only larger cities would have had walls and the security those brought usually increased trade to the city.

When we dropped the population points for Gold, we switched to a more traditional model where walls cost money and there were no limits on which cities could build them.

In both of these games, walls also increased the threat of rebellion in those cities. This was designed to reproduce the situation where Philip would tear down the walls of captured cities so that they felt too vulnerable to turn against him.

For comparison, in Rome walls have a one time cost in wood and an ongoing cost in gold. We've also dropped the effects on rebellion since it wasn't relevant in Caesar's time.

Level 4 Human gamer
Posted on September 3, 2014 at 9:01 am

First of all, I should say that I recently bought Hegemony Gold and I'm really impressed by it. I had years to get hooked so much on a video game. Congratulations to the developer team!

So my question is: do walls cost population points?
I haven't find any info in the manual. I found an old thread that stated that walls cost 2 population points, but that might not be the case any more.