Skip navigation

Hegemony Rome - 1.9.99 rev29166 x64

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > Hegemony Rome - 1.9.99 rev29166 x64
Level 5 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on January 17, 2014 at 7:02 am

I'm trying to do the siege of Atuatuca in chapter 3. It's a really tight situation where you can only send one unit at a time up the hill. My Javelineers aren't able to throw their spears at the city. Siege machines are of no use. Really interesting scenario.

I had one Legion going up that hill and starting the siege. I had to pull it back before its morale ended and tried to get another one in. The other unit isn't able to start the siege though, leaving it doing nothing on the hill, just standing before the city gate and taking the arrows from the walls. This breaks chapter 3 since I'm supposed to take the city as part of the story.

Level 5 Human gamer
Posted on January 17, 2014 at 8:32 am

Hi
try to starve them, works for me quite well. Capture all farms around and wait until food and therefor the moral drops low. With the bugs you mentioned it is the only possibility at the moment.

Level 5 Human gamer
Posted on January 17, 2014 at 1:06 pm

Yes, I figured starving them out was the only way to proceed about it. I'm going to try it out this evening. IIRC, they had something close to like 400 food in there though and it's going to take a long time and I don't think it's good for the game's pace just me sitting there watching their food stocks diminish slowly. We'll see how it turns out.

Level 5 Human gamer
Posted on January 17, 2014 at 1:35 pm

I don't think it's good for the game's pace just me sitting there watching their food stocks diminish slowly.
surely it isn't but keep in mind that this is just a workaround and not the intended behavior. Depending on how many units defending the city the food sometimes drops very fast.

Level 5 Human gamer
Posted on January 17, 2014 at 7:50 pm

I do think it's the beginning of some very cool siege behaviour though. Before every siege, I have my light units going around the countryside taking out his supply routes, cutting them off from supplies and isolating the city. Only then, do I go in with the heavy legions and siege towers. It seems only natural that they will design the AI to counter this strategy; send out units from the city to protect the farms and strike back at my raiders. Also, I like the occasional sallies by enemy garrisons. Things like that could be worked on to make the sieges in this game really epic. Also, the siege equipment don't really seem done yet.

Level 5 Human gamer
Posted on January 17, 2014 at 9:57 pm

I've finished Chapter 2. The save tells me it took me something like 374 minutes. Nothing game-breaking at all; even that last battle worked out well in the end with starving them out. Good stuff!