Skip navigation

Hegemony Rome - 1.9.99 rev 29161 x64

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > Hegemony Rome - 1.9.99 rev 29161 x64
Level 8 Human gamer
Alignment: Lawful
Posted on January 14, 2014 at 6:22 pm

Started fresh, couple problems right off the bat.

- Minor: The N key shortcut to face the camera north doesn't work. Didn't work in initial release either but don't remember if I mentioned it or not.

- Major: Camps: Camps are missing their supply zone, or at least the camps pre-built in the mountain passes in Chapter 1. They do not supply any unit nearby, nor do units exiting the camp refill their supplies despite the camp having 199/200 food at all times with supply lines connected.

Edit: Saving, exiting and reloading seems to have fixed this. Random glitch or an issue with the script that initially changes the forts to Roman control?

Edit 2: Have confirmed this repeats with a second restart, the camps have no supply radius and will not resupply troops that exit. To fix this game has to be saved and reloaded. Select any city and mouse over, then reselect the camp and the supply zone will start working.

Figured I'd post the camp one right away as it's a fairly huge issue though I do want to know if I am alone experiencing this or not. Another reinstall may be needed if that is the case.

Level 5 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on January 14, 2014 at 8:35 pm

Weirdest thing just happened to one of my skirmisher units outside Nemetacum. It has just stopped responding altogether. I tried to send it out to capture one of the farms nearby; it says "No Path Found". Now I can't give it any orders at all. I can send other units to the farm OK though.

Title screen stutters. Some minor FPS-hits in-game, but no major problems even with a large amount of units on-screen on AMD Radeon HD 8760. Overall, the game has been very stable with AMD.

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on January 14, 2014 at 9:08 pm

Fresh from a play through of Chapter 1, another pile of notes :)

- Camera panning: Panning the camera with WASD and attempting to zoom with the mouse wheel causes the game to judder for a moment and then the zoom levels locks until WASD are released. However panning with WASD and using RF adjust zoom works flawlessly. Minor annoyance but one I hope can be fixed.

- Stockpiling question: Would it be possibly to have the default supply level for food and lumber at towns/camps to be set to minimum rather than zero? Ma be a personal preference thing but I'd far rather set the few places I want to zero stockpile than have to set absolutely everything to minimum.

- Unit selecting: When you have your troops multiselected it becomes bit of a pain to have to remember to deselect the entire group then find the one unit you wanted to select and give a separate order, especially in the thick of battle. (I know I know can pause, still though.)

- Supply consumption: This feels a little high to me. When my legions can leave camp, march a little way and then form a line for the enemy to crash upon their supplies are already half gone. Can lead to major issues during a prolonged fight, especially on occasions like fighting Ariovistus' hordes. Being restricted to fight only within supply zones would honestly kind of suck, I liked being able to march into an opposing army in the middle of nowhere and fight the epic fight in Gold.

- Loading saved games: Loading a save from in game now works without a hitch, nice fix.

- Path finding: Still some issues here from certain areas. This time ordering units to march from Ledo to the other side of the Arar river (via the bridge) caused them to spaz out and spin on the spot.

- Graphical artifact: Large yellow/brown rectangle flashes consistently on the terrain outside the city of Cabilonnum when viewing it from the south and west.

- Scavenging: Units when set in a formation (At this particular time, double line of legionaries up from, two units of slingers behind them) and ordered to scavenge from a farm will do so. The tonnage counter appears and the farm takes the damage but no food is actually acquired by any unit. This is due to formations not being fully implemented yet?

- Forced marching: Units that are on a forced march and have to cross a bridge seem to forget that they are on a forced march upon exiting said bridge. Perhaps the ladies of the night encamped at the bridge should be relocated somewhere more appropriate?

- Bridges/Waypoints: When a unit is sent on a long route, IE: moving a defeated legion from the Roman town in the south east back up into Suebi territory, setting their final waypoint to be a garrison command causes them to get halt in a bridge if that bridge is the penultimate waypoint. No issue occurs if the bridge is not the penultimate waypoint. Reissuing the order to garrison another structure while the unit is in the bridge sends them on their merry way as usual.

- Weather/Lighting: Absolutely loving how the map gets so much darker when it is raining. Very nice touch.

- Recruitment/Replenishment: Will the recruiting icon be making a return to the unit card/tool tip? I had my legions stationed in Magetobria and despite a constant network of supply lines running all the way back to every other area of the map they refused to replenish their losses. Took me a good 10 minutes to realise this.

- Ox carts: No XP reward for killing them? Aw.

- Forced marching (again): I suspect you are aware of this but I'll state it for the record. 3D models of units forced marching fall way behind their actual location. Zooming out and back in sorts this out for a very short time before it happens again.

- Question: The inability to manually plot the path of supply lines, is this intentional?

- Typo: In the tooltip for Epamanduodunum it says 'Lying on mondern day...'

All in all some huge improvements from the initial release, good work!

Would like to also reinforce Antiscamp's point about AMD, XFX Radeon HD 7970 here and no issues at all. Truthfully haven't noticed any frame drops even with large numbers of units on screen but that could be ignorance of it rather than non-existence.

Level 17 Extraplanar gamer
Posted on January 15, 2014 at 12:06 am

- Minor: The N key shortcut to face the camera north doesn't work

That's likely because we removed the button for that which used to be above the minimap. We'll get the shortcut fixed.

Major: Camps: Camps are missing their supply zone ...

Thanks for the report. We've seen this before but hadn't replicated the cause yet so your information is helpful.

Weirdest thing just happened to one of my skirmisher units outside Nemetacum.

Not sure about that one, but I'll make a note and see if anybody can replicate it. We've actually had a different pathfinding bug reported around Nemetacum so there could be something wrong with the paths there.

Panning the camera with WASD and attempting to zoom with the mouse wheel causes the game to judder

I think this is the same as it was in gold, but the issue was also raised by one of Kalypso's testers and is on the todo list. Not sure at the moment how complicated it might be.

Would it be possibly to have the default supply level for food and lumber at towns/camps to be set to minimum rather than zero?

That issue has been suggested and I'm open to the idea. Units will draw food automatically across supply lines, so technically it's only necessary to have it local when your lines get cut off. However, I understand the reasons to have a bit of a safety margin by default.

Unit selecting: When you have your troops multiselected it becomes bit of a pain to have to remember to deselect the entire group

Yeah, that's not how it's supposed to work. Clicking a single unit within a group should only select that unit. I've filed a report and we'll get that fixed.

Supply consumption: This feels a little high to me ... Being restricted to fight only within supply zones would honestly kind of suck, I liked being able to march into an opposing army in the middle of nowhere and fight the epic fight in Gold.

That's very helpful feedback. Ideally we're looking for a balance where it's worthwhile to set up a camp before a major battle/siege but not always necessary. Some of that flexibility may eventually come from upgrades since you'll be able to extend a unit's range 3x-4x by the end.

- Loading saved games: Loading a save from in game now works without a hitch, nice fix.

I won't say there aren't still a lot of savegame bugs, but glad to hear it's a little better.

- Path finding: Still some issues here from certain areas. This time ordering units to march from Ledo to the other side of the Arar river (via the bridge) caused them to spaz out and spin on the spot.

There's a known bug where units have problems figuring out which end of the bridge there supposed to move towards. It's particularly bad at the bridge near Ledo because it's angled relative to the river so when you're north of the bridge on the east bank, you can actually be closer to the west end of the bridge. The fix for this is unfortunately complicated, but if you move you units closer to the bridge entrance it should work for now.

- Graphical artifact: Large yellow/brown rectangle flashes consistently on the terrain outside the city of Cabilonnum when viewing it from the south and west.

Not sure about this one, could you send a screenshot?

Scavenging: The tonnage counter appears and the farm takes the damage but no food is actually acquired by any unit. This is due to formations not being fully implemented yet?

Quite possibly, I'll have to look into that.

- Forced marching: Units that are on a forced march and have to cross a bridge seem to forget that they are on a forced march upon exiting said bridge. Perhaps the ladies of the night encamped at the bridge should be relocated somewhere more appropriate?

:) I'll make a note of that.

Bridges/Waypoints ...

Added to the bug list

Recruitment/Replenishment: Will the recruiting icon be making a return to the unit card/tool tip?

Recruitment will be overhauled before the next update to fix a number of major issues including the missing buff icons.

Question: The inability to manually plot the path of supply lines, is this intentional?

Trade route waypoints are on the todo list

Typo: In the tooltip for Epamanduodunum it says

Fixed.

Level 8 Human gamer
Alignment: Chaotic evil
Posted on January 15, 2014 at 12:18 am

I think i found another bug.

I had a ranged unit upgraded for Extra missle damage. After i fully ugraded to 100% damage. The same trainer came up again, so i had a second trainer for another extra missile damage.
When i fully upgraded the second one too, it just disappeared...just wasted 2000 xp! It made me sad!

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on January 15, 2014 at 1:17 am

That's very helpful feedback. Ideally we're looking for a balance where it's worthwhile to set up a camp before a major battle/siege but not always necessary. Some of that flexibility may eventually come from upgrades since you'll be able to extend a unit's range 3x-4x by the end.

Yes.. upgrades. Maybe it just the way my mind works but that also forces a restriction on what we can actually do with our troops. The original point was that we'd have to try keep fights any larger than a skirmish in a supply zone. This is another issue in that it basically says "Sure you can fight large fights in the open, but to do so you absolutely must use two of your upgrade slots for hunters and QM's."

Though thinking of it another way then yes, if I want to fight big fights far away then I should have to upgrade my units to be able to do that. /shrug, brain things complicated.

As I haven't actually recruited a Tribune yet, when the squad size increases does the max supply count increase also? If so then hunter/tribune may be a decent enough half compromise that still leaves the 4th slot for something 'fun'.

Will go grab that screenshot and send it via the email addy. Screenshot would have taken a long time to catch properly so: vidjya If that isn't helpful then I'll go spam a key until I catch it.

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on January 15, 2014 at 10:23 am

Some observations from Chapter 2 (Pathing issues already known so won't mention those):

- Unit formation/upgrading: When you have units in a formation, even if you select a single unit it is impossible to A) access the upgrade tab B) access the trade tab and C) change the units individual formation, they stay locked into battleline for example unless you drag them out of the formation, change it then re-add them.

- Message box: Isn't showing when friendly or enemy units are routed or defeated. Doesn't display general defeats either and only shows when generals recover. Not implemented yet or going to be a toggle option later on?

- Siege towers: They sound like galloping horses when on the move. Amusing it it's own way.

- Siege towers: Any time I select single or multiple siege towers and try to attack a town with them, nothing happens. I just get the red X with 'command not available'. Am I missing something here? There was something said by the nice tutorial lady but the voice did not match the text thus the text flashed by very quickly.

- Windows (IE city upgrades): Ok so say you open the upgrade window, due to all the options it has a scroll bar. In this particular event the scroll bar displayed two extra options. I built both those options. The scroll bar vanished and wouldn't allow me to scroll back up to see the top two. Window needs to be closed and reopened to function properly again.

There was a single crash when trying to move my legions into the fort right as the Nervii ambushers show up but as it did not repeat when loading the save file I can't say for sure if that was what caused it.

Posted on January 15, 2014 at 4:26 pm

When i fully upgraded the second one too, it just disappeared...just wasted 2000 xp! It made me sad!

Sorry, that's a frustrating one. We have actually fixed that one since the update. My current plan is to have the next update out by thursday night so I've got a chance to fix any problems before the weekend. The update should also be in the "Beta" branch sometime earlier thursday.

"Sure you can fight large fights in the open, but to do so you absolutely must use two of your upgrade slots for hunters and QM's."

Ideally it's less about imposing hardfast restrictions as it about promoting variety and ensuring that any one strategy (be it rushing straight into battle or setting up a battle camp first) isn't always the best choice.

When the squad size increases does the max supply count increase also?

Yes, the unit's capacity increases proportionally with the total unit size.

Screenshot would have taken a long time to catch properly so: vidjya

Thanks. I haven't seen that glitch before, but I'll make a note of it.

- Unit formation/upgrading ...

You're right, it should probably select them as individual units when you select members of a linked group. As I mentioned in the release notes, I haven't spent much time on grouping for awhile, but I'll keep that in mind when I get back to it.

Siege towers: They sound like galloping horses when on the move. Amusing it it's own way.

Yeah, I don't have a sound effect for those yet :)

Siege towers: Any time I select single or multiple siege towers and try to attack a town with them, nothing happens ...

Siegecraft definitely needs work ... it probably won't make the next update, but hopefully I'll have some time to address it next week.

- Windows (IE city upgrades): Ok so say you open the upgrade window, due to all the options it has a scroll bar ...

There was a bug where scrolling with the mousewheel and dragging the handle had different results. I think Chris fixed some of those issues yesterday so it should be better in the next update.

There was a single crash when trying to move my legions into the fort right as the Nervii ambushers show up ...

If you can send me the dump files on any crashes you encounter we can usually figure out what at least caused the crash (if not always why)

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on January 15, 2014 at 5:09 pm

Sent 4 dump files to you.

The latest one is the crash you quoted. I think the Jan 10 and 14 may be that cattle farm in the north east on chapter 2.

Can't for the life of me remember what caused the Jan 09 one.

Level 5 Human gamer
Posted on January 15, 2014 at 7:06 pm

I have a Quicksave from yesterday that won't unpause when pressing space. I'll check today if other Quicksaves have the same problem. I E-Mailed the save file.

I have two slave units trapped inside a bridge at Samarobriva, and I can't get them out of there. I think a similar problem with bridges was reported by someone earlier as well.

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on January 15, 2014 at 7:54 pm

Why hello, me again with a few more notes!

- Sieges: Ok so I know this wasn't a thing in Gold but it is one of those things on my inside voice wishlist. Inside voice is asking to be let out for once though. XP for units that successfully siege and conquer a city. In Gold that could have been quite overpowering with all that extra xp but in Rome it seems less so. Especially with the huge upgrade trees with 4 or 5 tiers for most upgrades. Could also help alleviate the punishment of having to retool a particular unit to adapt to a new scenario.

- Siege units: The inability to disband these is fairly painful, especially later on in the game when garrisons are far more important and every single Denarii counts. Can't disband them after deliberately sending them to be defeated before they retrain either.

- Sieging towns: I'm not sure if something isn't quite right here. Both times I attacked two different towns. I used the exact same units both times. Both towns had wooden walls and nothing else. The first town had 120 garrison strength, the second had 30. For some reason, the town (and another similar later on) with 120 garrisoned units fell much faster than the one with 30. Don't know what to make of that or if I have missed something.

- Night Watch: NW and it's upgrades don't appear to be working. When built in a town with a garrison they constantly display +0 Morale. No modifier is applied on the morale tooltip for the city either.

- Camps: Having spent many more hours in the game, it has fast become apparent that camps seem to be a major culprit in causing pathing issues.

- Recruitment rates: The more time I spend playing the slower this feels. I've noticed that it actually becomes an issue to even recruit enough workers to manage all the resource buildings, combined with garrison and army losses I seem to spend a hell of a lot of time out of recruits and stuck twiddling my thumbs.

I can understand the idea behind punishing mistakes and/or wasteful mismanagement of troops, yet the idea of making workers and garrisons to feed and defend my empire punishing in and of itself feels overly harsh. Will the recruitment rate option from Gold be making a return?

- Generals/Sieges: Seems to me that generals die incredibly quickly during sieges, often among the first units to go. I know realistically that any Gaul sighting a centurion/tribune/legate under his walls would see every spear sent his way but for gameplay reasons it's little more than frustrating.

- An oddity: Somehow it took several days to notice this. Every single legionary is wearing a crested helmet (maybe it was the puffed up faces that initially distracted me). Why is this? It is my understanding the Caesars Gallic legions were post Marian reform head count legions and wore the plain legionary helmet of the time. Am I mistaken? Or is this just artistic choice?

Antiscamp: I had that issue twice, saving and reloading fixed it the first time, the slaves could exit. The second time I couldn't find a fix, the slaves had entered right as the Belgae captured the bridge and on retaking it nothing would move them.

Somewhat unrelated. I was under the assumption that even with the 'episodic' nature of the main campaign that our legions were be persistent. Did I imagine seeing this somewhere or did something happen to change that?

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on January 15, 2014 at 10:46 pm

By the way, i believe ranged attacks should be a lot more visible. You have to zoom a lot in order to see the projectile.

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on January 15, 2014 at 11:14 pm

If you can send me the dump files on any crashes you encounter we can usually figure out what at least caused the crash (if not always why)

I believe I have figured out the cause of this.

It just happened again in Chapter 3, repeating the exact steps confirms what I suspected. Having legions in a formation and then ordering the entire formation to enter a fort. They move towards the fort then as the first unit reaches the point it should enter the fort, boom, game crashes.

Repeated this three times with the exact same result. Hopefully that helps you figure it out.

Edit:

- Objective log: The scroll bar cuts off the last couple letters on each line when reading the detailed mission info.

- Routed units: They don't appear to be adding back to their home city pool when they run into the nearest friendly structure such as camps.

- Random thing: 3 dudes decided that they were tired of barbarian living and constant war. They decided that they were going to follow no orders, not even their own. As such they have decided they are going to stay exactly where they are for all eternity. video here.

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on January 16, 2014 at 6:13 pm

I found a small bug, dont know if it has been reported yet!

When i hover the mouse over City Defence, of a city with walls, for more information it says : Defence Rating:%DEFENCERATING% instead of having a number.

Level 5 Human gamer
Posted on January 16, 2014 at 6:46 pm

Last night I had a surrendered enemy unit trapped inside the mesh of the city of Viromandis. I mean literally inside the city, on the 3D map. It stood there quite naturally among the buildings of the city. Of course, when I tried to capture it with one of my units, it reported "Terrain not Accessible".

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on January 16, 2014 at 6:52 pm

Last night I had a surrendered enemy unit trapped inside the mesh of the city of Viromandis. I mean literally inside the city, on the 3D map. It stood there quite naturally among the buildings of the city. Of course, when I tried to capture it with one of my units, it reported "Terrain not Accessible".

Had this on a few towns as well, same issue. Ignored them and they eventually went away iirc.

Level 5 Human gamer
Posted on January 16, 2014 at 9:44 pm

Yep. I lost the town (I think it was due to rebellion; I was busy elsewhere), but retook it tonight and they were gone.

I haven't found out how to upgrade units in a city. Is there a way to do that or do you have to have them out in the field to upgrade them? No biggie to move them out to be upgraded though, but seems kinda odd if you couldn't upgrade them when they're inside the city.

Oh, and I can't resist showing off this screenshot of just how impressive the game looks. The attention to detail is just immense.

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on January 17, 2014 at 12:56 am

I haven't found out how to upgrade units in a city. Is there a way to do that or do you have to have them out in the field to upgrade them? No biggie to move them out to be upgraded though, but seems kinda odd if you couldn't upgrade them when they're inside the city

I believe you cannot upgrade them while in the city. Besides it would need a new tab to open it up. But an indication of when the unit can be upgraded while in the city would be nice.(unless there is already one and i haven't noticed)

Level 8 Human Truffle Farmer
Alignment: Good
Posted on January 17, 2014 at 8:38 am

Title screen stutters. Some minor FPS-hits in-game, but no major problems even with a large amount of units on-screen on AMD Radeon HD 8760. Overall, the game has been very stable with AMD.

I've had this too. Apparently my processor is on the low end of acceptable but the game runs 100% smoothly regardless of what I do; only the main screen has any sort of issues.

Posted on January 17, 2014 at 11:26 pm

Sorry for the slow response. Busy from the Kalypso announcement yesterday and trying to get the next update out.

XP for units that successfully siege and conquer a city.

I agree. One of the reasons we avoided it in gold was that we didn't want to create an xp farm where you captured a city, let it rebel and then captured it again. However, since rebellions are less common in Rome we could probably do it.

Siege units: The inability to disband these is fairly painful

You should be able to scrap ships, siege towers, etc to save money. I'll look in to it.

For some reason, the town (and another similar later on) with 120 garrisoned units fell much faster than the one with 30.

As in gold, garrison defense is handled as a percentage of the max garrison, so bigger cities require a larger garrison to defend them than a smaller city would. While I think it makes some logical sense, I agree it's not necessarily intuitive and I'd be interested in changing it to something more straight forward so that a higher garrison is always better.

Night Watch: NW and it's upgrades don't appear to be working.

Yes, a lot of the upgrades aren't working yet. We'll be getting to those in a future update.

Camps: Having spent many more hours in the game, it has fast become apparent that camps seem to be a major culprit in causing pathing issues.

Doesn't surprise me. The camps use a new pathfinding mechanic that lets us subdivide the path regions when a camp is present. We'll be spending more time debugging this as we go forward.

Recruitment rates: The more time I spend playing the slower this feels.

This seems to be a common sentiment and we'll definitely look at balancing it better.

Generals/Sieges: Seems to me that generals die incredibly quickly during sieges

Whether realistic or not, I agree that it's annoying. The idea is that your general's should only dies when the rest of the unit is defeated.

Every single legionary is wearing a crested helmet

I don't remember all of the details on the legion design since it was the first unit created and goes back a couple years now. However, I suspect it was just an artistic choice by our lead artist, but I'll look into it again.

By the way, i believe ranged attacks should be a lot more visible. You have to zoom a lot in order to see the projectile.

Yes, that's something we've been considering for a while, but delayed to see what the feedback was like. The mostly likely solution will be to add some sort of particle trail.

I believe you cannot upgrade them while in the city. Besides it would need a new tab to open it up. But an indication of when the unit can be upgraded while in the city would be nice.(unless there is already one and i haven't noticed)

Yes, we're aware this is a bit of problem. While you won't be able to open the tab, we will add a shortcut to open the upgrade window for units that are inside other objects.