Skip navigation

Beta Update 1

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > Beta Update 1
Level 17 Extraplanar gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on January 14, 2014 at 7:02 am
Tagged: hegemonyrome beta

The first update to the beta is now live on steam. The revision number on the title screen is 29161. I'm not quite sure how steam decides when to update, but if you exit steam and log back in again it should force it.

Before I get into what's changed, I want to thank everyone for their comments this week. I know some of the bugs have been pretty hard to work around so we appreciate your perseverance. I'd also like to apologize up front if I don't get a chance to respond specifically to all of the feedback. It's a bit of a juggling act managing the beta while also making sure we spend time on development. So, even if we don't comment on all of the bugs and suggestions, they are still getting read and filed into our bug/feature database. That said, if a couple updates go by and you don't see any changes on a particular issue, don't feel bad about reminding us :)

One other note: in addition to the primary steam version that you've been playing, there are also now two "beta" builds that can be accessed by right-clicking on Hegemony in your steam library, opening the properties window and clicking the Betas tab. In the tab you should now see a drop down box that let's you opt in for different versions of the game.

From now on we'll be maintaining an untested "Beta" version that has the most up to date changes as well as a "lastrelease" version that contains the previous version of the game so you can revert if we've accidentally broken something. If you decide to play either of these versions, please make a note of the revision number from the title screen when you're submitting bugs so that we can file them appropriately.

Changes:
* Fullscreen mode now works on nVidia GTX cards. The fix appears to have some performance penalties, but it should work for now.
* Fixed water regions disappearing after a device reset
* Fixed bug where units remain invisible after being interrupted entering a building
* Fixed bug that caused units to run through the water when crossing a bridge
* Fixed occasional freeze in the sandbox
* Fixed error loading savegames made while Lugdunum is cleared from the fog
* Players can no longer set supply level of enemy camps/cities
* AI should no longer occupy the farm or build the bridge near Lugdunum
* Bridge the Arar tutorial now accepts any unit that can build bridges, not just workers
* City governors are now saved
* Fixed crash opening vehicle construction menu on captured raider forts
* Raiders no longer track hostility
* It's no longer possible to demolish bridges through the command panel when they don't belong to you
* Fixed tooltip and portrait for Roman Transport
* Fixed bug connecting trade routes through marsh, alpine and blocked terrain (fixes problem connecting fort and roman city in chapter 1)
* Fixed sound bug caused by oscillating alerts
* Fixed 'Invalid Target Pos' crash
* Fixed bug where promoting 2nd rank officers would remove other officers

Level 9 Human gamer
Alignment: Chaotic evil
Posted on January 14, 2014 at 12:50 pm

I can confirm, that the fullscreen problem has been fixed, but yes it does have huge performance penalties for me at least.

Level 5 Human gamer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on January 14, 2014 at 3:09 pm

Nice patch-list. Can't wait to help out, as I've sent an email your way a day or so ago :)

Posted on January 14, 2014 at 4:28 pm

I can confirm, that the fullscreen problem has been fixed, but yes it does have huge performance penalties for me at least.

Thanks for the report. Last night it appeared to have dropped about 10fps on my machine after the changes, but it sounds like it might be worse on other setups. I'll do some more profiling today to see if I can improve that.

Level 9 Human gamer
Posted on January 14, 2014 at 5:00 pm

To be more specific, i run a little fraps test during sandbox.

"Beta" fullscreen : Avg: 9.767 - Min: 0 - Max: 31

"Last release" windowed : Avg: 22.197 - Min: 0 - Max: 38

On fullscreen it was pretty much unplayable.

Also on both releases now, the ground on sandbox mode is all black. Just black darkness. Everything else is fine though. Just noticed that. Before the update it was fine.

Edit: The ground is all black on chapters as well. When the game first updated this morning it was fine though. Maybe something is wrong on my end.

Posted on January 14, 2014 at 8:26 pm

I've posted a new update to the opt-in beta (the beta of the beta) which should make some improvements to the framerate. It should be version 29166 on the titlescreen.

We haven't tested it thoroughly which is why I haven't made it the regular build yet. Let me know if it helps or you have any problems with it.

Level 9 Human gamer
Posted on January 14, 2014 at 8:39 pm

The ground is still all black, i will try to reinstall the game. But the framedrops are totally fixed. It was flowless, and better than before the patch, nice job!

Posted on January 14, 2014 at 8:51 pm

Try deleting the settings file as well in case anything got corrupted there. And just to confirm, are you seeing more than just the trees and GUI? Do the buildings, units or water show up? Also, I have known video cards to get into a corrupted state where you need to reboot in order to fix them.

Level 9 Human gamer
Posted on January 14, 2014 at 10:31 pm

I could see everything but the ground.
I deleted the settings file, redownloaded the game and everything works again!

The game is running smoother than before, although the zoom in-out function is a bit laggy. Everything else is bit better!

Posted on January 14, 2014 at 10:55 pm

Awesome! We're testing the "beta" build in the office now and I'm hoping to update the primary build to that one shortly.

Lag and stutters are expected at the moment since we've moved all of the resource loading to in the game rather than at the start in order to reduce load times. We've got plans for a more sophisticated loading system to reduce the stutters but that's further down the list right now.

Posted on January 15, 2014 at 12:11 am

I've just made the "beta" build (rev 29166) the new primary build. This update just fixes some performance issues on mid to lower end machines.