Skip navigation

Software installers with distorted graphics on Windows 8

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > General Chatter > Software installers with distorted graphics on Windows 8
Level 9 Human
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on January 11, 2014 at 2:56 pm

I came across a screenshot I had captured a few weeks ago, while installing Triangle Trifle. I guess this is more of a Windows 8 issue than a Longbow issue, but I thought I'd put it out there, in case anyone might know what's going on.

Basically, it seems that some software installers display distorted graphics in the header of the wizard.

Triangle Trifle installer

Anyone know what's up with that ?

Level 14 Extraplanar Programmer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on January 14, 2014 at 4:47 am

Your DPI scaling is set higher than 100%. This makes things on your screen bigger, but when you scale images up like this, sometimes things look off. There's more advanced ways to upscale images that look better than this, but Windows clearly isn't using them.

You can find out more about changing your DPI setting here.

Level 9 Human
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on January 21, 2014 at 3:07 pm

Interesting. I don't think I've ever come across this setting before, since upgrading from my previous XP system to Windows 8. I checked the setting in Windows and found that it was set to 125%. I changed it to 100%, but that made everything look very small on the 1920 x 1280 resolution, so I changed it back again. Anyhow, thanks for clarifying !