Skip navigation

Hegemony Rome - Initial observations.

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > Hegemony Rome - Initial observations.
Pages 1 2
Level 17 Extraplanar gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on January 11, 2014 at 5:06 pm

The "drumroll" sound glitch occurred mainly when the raiders were burning a resource.

I'm still looking into this one, but we'll get it sorted out before the next update (early next week probably)

I got this error: "class GK2LanguageException. . . . . No string name found for string index Factions#ADJECTIVE."

Thanks, I've fixed it now.

Also, when I captured defeated raiders, I got a message that hostility increased with [blank--no faction mentioned].

Thanks, the raiders are a little unique and require a few exceptions from the regular rules. I've fixed this now.

I noticed at least twice, that my skirmishers seemed to leave 3-4 stragglers behind when they advanced. I don't know if this is just graphics or affects gameplay.

I'm not sure either right now, but I'll look into it. One of the big changes under the hood in Rome, is that the unit graphics have been completely detached from the underlying movement and combat. This is to help optimize all the battles going on offscreen, but it has resulted in some synchronization bugs we're still working on.

For some more general impressions, I like the more limited scope of the sandbox ...

That's exactly what we were going for so so I'm glad to hear that. When we get closer to release we'll take some votes from the community on what other sub-maps we should include e.g. Briton, Alps, Aquitania, etc. It will also be pretty easy for modders to set up their own configs.

I like the expanded skills for armies. Is the description on "Sentinel" incorrect?

Nope, the descriptions give a better idea of what the officer should do, but I haven't implemented all the functions yet.

The skill names for non-Roman armies still sounded Roman

Our original plan was to have a unique officer set for each faction group, but there's so little documentation on the other groups that it was difficult to find appropriate names/characters for them. The underlying code still supports filtering upgrades by faction group and if we get the time this is something I'l like to expand on.

Finally, is there a way to split slaves into multiple units?

Not at the moment, but I'll add it to the wishlist and we'll see what we can do.

-On the main menu, there seems to be a semi-transparent layer while the camera is flying over the map.

That is a bit of a hack right now. I wanted to do a more procedural filter, but that requires some structural changes to the rendering engine and so it's been pretty low on the priority list.

-Game freezes when trying to load ingame. Only loading from the main menu seems to work.

Thanks. We've documented this and are working on it.

The enemy AI doesn't seem to care much about their units staying idle. I can just wait until they run out of supplies and then attack them.

Yes, there's still a lot of AI work to do. This is one of the challenges we've always faced with the games because we've purposely designed it to make it difficult to leave your army in a location indefinitely.

Generally, a lot of our focus for the next update has been on the really major issues that are getting in the way of gameplay e.g. the nVidia crash and some of the quest blocking bugs. However, beyond that most of remaining focus will be on AI and balancing issues.

Level 7 Human Master & Commander, HMS Spitfire
Alignment: Lawful
Posted on January 11, 2014 at 6:53 pm

The Belgica sandbox crashed when I tried to capture a defeated Nervi outside Namur (another place I've been in real life). It gave this message: classGK2LanguageException . . No string name found for string with index Factions#COLLECTIVE.

The first half dozen times I played Belgica I was beaten like a drum--then I got some momentum and now it's much easier. The non-Raider factions aren't building supply lines to farms, so their cities are often starving when I get to them and thus too easy to beat.

Level 7 Human Master & Commander, HMS Spitfire
Alignment: Lawful
Posted on January 12, 2014 at 7:28 am

In Chapter 3?, there are issues crossing the English Channel. I sent one ship to scout the northern beach and it's essentially stuck--it can move in a small area but I get "no path found" when trying to move it back to port.

I captured an British port and got "no path found" when trying to make a supply line across the channel to the Belgian port (both had deep water ports). I don't know if that's a problem or a scenario constraint.

I could not withdraw all my troops from Britannia back to the Continent when instructed. Three units--the stranded ship (see above) and two defeated units that stayed put and didn't run (even though no enemies were near) prevented me.

More generally:

While I still like Hegemony Gold a lot, this is going to be even better. I can see how the game design changes are rooted in changes in technology and warfare from the classical Greek era to the Roman era. While there's still a seasonal element to food supply (and maybe it should be more pronounced), it hasn't been such a killer. My armies don't starve and my outlying cities don't revolt every spring. I like the new city improvements, camps and bridges. I like not running out of supply nodes in a city or having to upgrade/downgrade supply routes--I like the new system of attrition based on length of supply route. Supply and logistics are still important, but Rome got rid of a lot of the micromanagement in a way that feels historically realistic.

Level 5 Human gamer
Posted on January 12, 2014 at 10:23 am

Edit: not sure if allowed here. gonna shoot a pm.

Posted on January 12, 2014 at 6:25 pm

I captured an British port and got "no path found" when trying to make a supply line across the channel to the Belgian port (both had deep water ports).

You should be able to connect paths across the channel. To create a water route you need to hold down the right mouse button and select water route from the list. I hope to detect this more automatically in the future.

Thanks for the feedback on the supply mechanics. We've still got some balance work to do, but I'm glad you like the changes.

Edit: not sure if allowed here. gonna shoot a pm.

We're not really trying to keep things secret, so anyone is welcome to post here whether you're in the current tester group or not. The main reason we're doing this as a closed beta is so that we can pace the feedback so that we don't get overwhelmed.

Level 5 Human gamer
Alignment: Lawful good
Posted on January 13, 2014 at 10:28 pm

-When traveling with Caesar and a full unit of legionaries to Eporedia, that unit went straight through the enemy village of Salassorum. Furthermore, almost the whole unit had been lost after reappearing. Only Caesar and 4 legionaries were left. Something similar happened later on after crossing an enemy suebi bridge.

-Units often have trouble building camps and bridges even standing right next to that place.

-Apparently both allies in chapter 1 fight each other. Not sure if this is intended.

-There seems to be some flickering issues on the diplomacy menu when scrolling over factions.

-When starting chapter 2 right after after having completed chapter 1, the tutorial that tells you how to improve the bridge did not trigger.

-After capturing the city of Bibrax and with only one logging camp nearby, it took about 10 minutes to complete the objective where I had to build a workshop and some siege equipment. Unfortunately, there was nothing else to do in the meantime.

-Voices and text did not match for the "Capture Noviodunum" objective. For example: I could hear Labienus say "They surrendered at the sight of our siege equipment" just as I had finished building the siege tower.

-I can confirm the CTD when trying to capture that cattle farm just northeast of the Axona river on chapter 2.

Level 5 Human gamer
Posted on January 24, 2014 at 8:28 am

Yes, we're never going to have Total War like numbers, but your legions do start fairly small (smaller than you've probably seen in the screenshots). The reason for that is because you can eventually triple their size through the upgrade system and we wanted to have some growth in scale/power over the course of the game.

We have also kept them a little smaller than the Gallic units because we wanted to maintain the feeling that Caesar was significantly outnumbered throughout most of the campaign.

In Hegemony of Rome, how many cohorts does a legion have? will a player of Rome be able to field multible legions at same time?

Posted on January 24, 2014 at 11:46 pm

We don't really use cohorts in Hegemony, each legion acts as a single unit. We brainstormed a few possible ways we could do it when we were first designing Rome, but ultimately they only complicated the game without adding any real strategy so we left them out.

You can definitely field multiple legions in the game. During the campaign, you get pretty much the same legions that Caesar documents in his writings, but in the sandbox you'll have the flexibility to recruit more based on the population of the Roman territories.

Pages 1 2