Skip navigation

Hegemony Rome - Initial observations.

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > Hegemony Rome - Initial observations.
Pages 1 2
Level 7 Human gamer
Alignment: Lawful
Posted on January 9, 2014 at 11:48 am

Been messing around for just under 2 hours so far with my trusty little notebook. Here are some things I have noticed with only one major bug found so far in the first campaign (not completed yet).

This will be a little disorganised as I'm going to just comment in the order that I wrote things down, if it ends up too messy just let me know and I'll sort out the post.

- The voice over in the cutscenes falls far behind the subtitles. The words rush on far ahead of the spoken voice, minor annoyance to some but for me personally I tend to read along with voices whenever subtitles are around. Not sure why, just can't help myself.

- Resolution options. I don't know if this is possible to change yet having some form of drop down menu would be much easier than having to cycle all the way through to 2048x1152. Quality of life thing more than anything else.

- The UI seems to be a little off center, specifically the income/season box at the top of the screen, seems a bit to the left. May again just be a personal thing but it left me feeling off balance, strange sensation to say the least.

- The hotlink to Caesar that shows during the first objective when moving him to Geneva doesn't actually bring the camera back to Caesar himself.

- Roman Legionaries when fully zoomed in have elongated and stretched faces, almost as if the model is struggling to fill the helmet. Screenshot taken if needed and/or not intentionally this way.

- A major sound glitch. The sound that plays like a drum beat after issuing an order or clicking a button starts to spaz out. It proceeds to loop constantly and very rapidly, seems so far to stop and start at random, though for the last 30mins it continued constantly, almost as if a unit was stuck in a loop unable to complete an order. Visiting every single building and moving every single unit around did not solve this however.

- When exiting the game (Only way to fix the sound issue above I've found so far) the game crashes, the appcrash report gives the exception code: c0000374 if that is important at all.

- Keyboard shortcuts cant be rebound? Is this a beta thing to keep everything accurate across testers or just not in yet? Took me a while to figure out that V no longer moved the camera between visible enemies.

- Several at a glance pieces of information are missing. Things like soliders alive vs max capacity (25/30 for example), current garrison vs max efficient garrison (80/80) and no garrison strength requirement info, as in Gold where it told you how many troops were required to prevent rebellion. While none of these are major issues, having to mouse over each tiny icon for a tooltip does feel overly fiddly and can break the flow.

- The Picked Cavalry from Geneva. When I beat one of the two Helvetian units south of Geneva I sent the cavalry to capture them for slaves. Once this was finished I selected the slaves and ordered them into Geneva, reselecting the cavalry their tooltip on their unit card from this point on when moused over showed the unit info for the slaves, not the cavalry. Screenshot of this also if needed.

- The way the hostages work? Fantastic, I love this new feature!

- Supply nodes. Are they limited at all? I could find no indicator on towns anywhere to tell me this. Also farms can be connected to other farms? Does this serve a purpose or not intentional?

- Once you have moved Caesar to Eporedia and discovered the forts, you get the mission to connect them via supply lines. Took me a minute to work out that the supply line could only be created one way from the closest fort to Eporedia, attempting to connect from Eporedia to the fort kept giving path not found errors.

- Units not replenishing troops outside of a building but within supply range. I'm guessing this is deliberate? The nice tutorial lady tried to say something about this I think but due to the constant sound looping mentioned towards the start I couldn't hear her properly and the text cycled far too quickly to read it as I was distracted fighting. It also seems that workers in a farm (11/20) wouldn't recruit from their city despite the supply line being connected.

- Construct unit window. Noticed it listed Roman warship twice, with no difference in the description between them, though they did seem to have two different grayed out unit icons.

- The option to have towns and forts stockpile zero resources. As with the hostages, I love this! One gripe with Gold was forts always having to maintain 25% despite them being well within my borders, unmanned and serving as little more than supply links between towns/farms.

- Upon ordering legions to capture a city they marched their merry way over and began to do so. However when the defenders sallied out, they ignored them completely and just stood there losing soliders until the capture had finished.

- Unit cards. The little crown stating a unit had a general attached was a nice bit of 'at a glance' info in Gold. Would be nice if this could be added to Rome also. I know above their heads in the field an icon shows but in towns this isn't very helpful. I can see that becoming an issue later on.

- The message box. Another quality of life thing. Is it possible to make this adjustable in size?

- Units moving through narrow passes sometimes have individual soliders that seem to get pissed off and pull of superhuman feats by charging directly across the terrain, mountains and all. Impressive and amusing but I fear factually incorrect :)

Overall I have to say I think you folks at Longbow have outdone yourselves. Despite the short time in game so far I absolutely love it. A tiny gripe is the small unit count size of the Legions, but otherwise a fantastic game so far.

Edit: Wanted to add one more thing. A minor complaint really. The new information tabs. I can sort of understand the desire to separate Units, Upgrades and Trade info into their own windows to maximize screen real estate but for me at least I'm not so very keen on it. Goes back to some of my other observations about 'at a glance' information. I quite liked the way it was done in Gold with all the info I might need at a moments notice readily available. I think like having to mouse over icons for individual tooltips it just breaks the flow. No doubt i'll get used to it and likely having gone straight from Gold into Rome is influencing my opinion atm.

Level 5 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on January 9, 2014 at 12:24 pm

- A major sound glitch. The sound that plays like a drum beat after issuing an order or clicking a button starts to spaz out. It proceeds to loop constantly and very rapidly, seems so far to stop and start at random, though for the last 30mins it continued constantly, almost as if a unit was stuck in a loop unable to complete an order. Visiting every single building and moving every single unit around did not solve this however.

I can confirm this on my side too. It sounds like a drumming machine gun. A game restart solved it for me at one point, another time just clicking the unit again.

I have to agree with Bansh that Longbow has created an excellent game with this one and it's going to develop fantastically! I'm impressed. I'll make a list of my initial impressions later this evening.

Level 7 Human gamer
Posted on January 9, 2014 at 3:52 pm

Ran into first major game breaking issue.

After moving to Lugdunum, the quest was scratched out, and the city changed to Roman but the quest itself did not actually complete until around 10 minutes later.

When it did finally complete, it opened up the command console, froze the advisor and locked the marker arrow and advisor on the screen and proceeded to bug out progressing with Superior Engineering: Bridge the Arar.

Bridge the Arar was also in itself impossible to complete before these events as a Sequani bridge was already in place in the only area it was allowing a bridge to be built. If at this point you were supposed to break the truce with the Sequani the game did not say.

In an attempt to clear the bug I saved the game and then attempted to reload it. This resulted in a CTD with an 'unrecoverable error' Conflicting ID's: 25952752.

Restarting the game and loading the save file did not in fact clear up the issue so this particular save is now unable to progress. Going to start a second one once this is posted and see if the same problem occurs again.

Level 5 Human Phalangite
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on January 9, 2014 at 4:20 pm

I wish I could talk about the game but i keep getting this error messages. "An error occured while running Hegemony. Could not lock vertex buffer. (Err: 80004005, Resourcce;". If anybody knows how to solve this problem please help.

Level 17 Extraplanar gamer
Posted on January 9, 2014 at 4:58 pm

- The voice over in the cutscenes falls far behind the subtitles.
Caption timing has not been implemented yet. I forgot to put this in the release notes.

- Resolution options. I don't know if this is possible to change yet having some form of drop down menu would be much easier
I agree completely. Ideally I would like to make all of the options drop-down boxes. We have added some support for dropdowns in our GUI system, but it's still a little rough and so we went for the simpler option for now so we could focus our time on gameplay. However, if we get a chance we will upgrade this stuff.

- The UI seems to be a little off center
You're right, I've been staring at it so long that I hadn't notice. I've fixed it now, so it will be in the next update.

- The hotlink to Caesar that shows during the first objective when moving him to Geneva doesn't actually bring the camera back to Caesar himself.
I couldn't duplicate this one. Are you talking about the 'A General Arrives' objective? When I click it it jumps right to Caesar.

- Roman Legionaries when fully zoomed in have elongated and stretched faces, almost as if the model is struggling to fill the helmet. Screenshot taken if needed and/or not intentionally this way.
- There's a chance this could be a problem the dynamic face system (the faces are added separately to the units to provide a little more variety), but I'll pass this on to the art team.

- A major sound glitch. The sound that plays like a drum beat after issuing an order or clicking a button starts to spaz out.
Probably a bug with the alert system. Sometimes the system gets in conflict where an alert is triggered and then cleared in a loop causing repeated warning sounds. Sadly this was also an issue with Gold and I should really find a permanent fix.

- When exiting the game (Only way to fix the sound issue above I've found so far) the game crashes, the appcrash report gives the exception code: c0000374 if that is important at all.
Yes, crashes on exit are unfortunately common at this point and we have a bug filed about it.

- Keyboard shortcuts cant be rebound? Is this a beta thing to keep everything accurate across testers or just not in yet? Took me a while to figure out that V no longer moved the camera between visible enemies.
It was on our wish list to add in-game keyboarding rebinding, but we haven't gotten to it yet. It should still be possible in the controls.xml file in the game folder as it was in Gold. I don't know if the shortcuts got accidentally switched from Gold, but right now it seems 'X' is visible enemies and 'V' is out of supply (these should be listed on the tabs eventually)

- Several at a glance pieces of information are missing. Things like soliders alive vs max capacity (25/30 for example), current garrison vs max efficient garrison (80/80) and no garrison strength requirement info, as in Gold where it told you how many troops were required to prevent rebellion. While none of these are major issues, having to mouse over each tiny icon for a tooltip does feel overly fiddly and can break the flow.

This was one of the issues I was expecting to come up so I'm interested in hearing what people think. The reason I dropped the denominator on those city stats was so that I could make the numerator larger and to reduce the overall clutter since some players seem to find it more intimidating when there are a lot of numbers on screen.

I was hoping to get away with leaving the maximums in the tooltip since they generally aren't as important as they were in Gold. Using the example you gave, rebellion is no longer an on/off issue so there isn't really a set garrison size needed to prevent rebellion but rather that more is generally better.

For now, I plan to see how it goes and what other players think and if proves to be an ongoing issue then we might end up making that panel of the GUI wider so we can include both numbers in a large enough font.

- The Picked Cavalry from Geneva. When I beat one of the two Helvetian units south of Geneva I sent the cavalry to capture them for slaves. Once this was finished I selected the slaves and ordered them into Geneva, reselecting the cavalry their tooltip on their unit card from this point on when moused over showed the unit info for the slaves, not the cavalry. Screenshot of this also if needed.
While I haven't heard this one exactly, there are some documented bugs with the unit portrait not updating correctly. I'll look into it.

- The way the hostages work? Fantastic, I love this new feature!
Great to hear!

- Supply nodes. Are they limited at all? I could find no indicator on towns anywhere to tell me this. Also farms can be connected to other farms? Does this serve a purpose or not intentional?
Not really. Resources always take the shortest route, so there isn't any advantage to redundant connections.

I'm toying with making them cost money so that there is encouragement not to go crazy with them (and also to provide some empire management). My only issue with that is I don't want to discourage players from making them in the first place and I don't really want players to be actively deleting them to save money.

The idea behind connecting farms is that you can daisy-chain them together since a series of shorter routes is more efficient than a single long one. It also makes the map a little cleaner.

- Once you have moved Caesar to Eporedia and discovered the forts, you get the mission to connect them via supply lines. Took me a minute to work out that the supply line could only be created one way from the closest fort to Eporedia, attempting to connect from Eporedia to the fort kept giving path not found errors.
That was reported before, but I haven't looked into it yet. I believe it's a problem with where the path search engine starts. There is a cap on the max number of nodes it will search and you can hit that cap earlier or later depending on what the terrain is like where the search begins.

- Units not replenishing troops outside of a building but within supply range.
I was expecting this as well. This was deliberate, but I'm 99% sure I'm going to change it.

In gold, I was concerned it was often confusing whether your units had a connection back to their home when there were inside multiple supply rings from farms, forts, etc so I had been thinking in Rome to limit recruitment to when you're inside a fort or city. However, I haven't liked out his has been playing so far in testing so I'm planning on changing it back so that units can recruit replacements whenever they are in a city/forts resupply zone and there is a route back to their home city. This will also work for workers in farms since I don't like in the early game having to wait for the workers to finish recruiting before sending them to the farm.

- Construct unit window. Noticed it listed Roman warship twice, with no difference in the description between them, though they did seem to have two different grayed out unit icons.
Oops, one of those should be the Roman transport which is the hybrid Caesar designed for his second crossing of the channel.

- The option to have towns and forts stockpile zero resources. As with the hostages, I love this! One gripe with Gold was forts always having to maintain 25% despite them being well within my borders, unmanned and serving as little more than supply links between towns/farms.
Cool, I've had some conflicting reports on this as some players were confused when the fort had no supplies locally, but still allowed you to resupply along the supply lines.

- Upon ordering legions to capture a city they marched their merry way over and began to do so. However when the defenders sallied out, they ignored them completely and just stood there losing soliders until the capture had finished.
I'll look into that. Your units in Rome do have the ability to auto-attack when they encounter an enemy, but something might have been going wrong in that case.

- Unit cards. The little crown stating a unit had a general attached was a nice bit of 'at a glance' info in Gold.
Yep, the units cards aren't finished yet and will definitely have the general "crown" when they are done.

- The message box. Another quality of life thing. Is it possible to make this adjustable in size?
Are you talking about the box in the bottom-left? There is a secret option to hide it right now, but not to change size. This is definitely something we could do. Are you thinking bigger or smaller?

- Units moving through narrow passes sometimes have individual soliders that seem to get pissed off and pull of superhuman feats by charging directly across the terrain, mountains and all. Impressive and amusing but I fear factually incorrect :)
This is probably just a visual bug where the unit's 3d mesh gets out of sync with it's real position. I suspect if you had panned away and come back the unit would have immediately jumped to it's proper position rather than running over the mountain to get there. AS a visual glitch, this shouldn't affect gameplay but we will try to fix it before release.

Posted on January 9, 2014 at 5:10 pm

Overall I have to say I think you folks at Longbow have outdone yourselves. Despite the short time in game so far I absolutely love it.

Thanks, the comments are much appreciated. While there are definitely still a lot of things to be finished, we're really optimistic the end product is going to live up to what we were hoping to make.

A tiny gripe is the small unit count size of the Legions, but otherwise a fantastic game so far.
Yes, we're never going to have Total War like numbers, but your legions do start fairly small (smaller than you've probably seen in the screenshots). The reason for that is because you can eventually triple their size through the upgrade system and we wanted to have some growth in scale/power over the course of the game.

We have also kept them a little smaller than the Gallic units because we wanted to maintain the feeling that Caesar was significantly outnumbered throughout most of the campaign.

Posted on January 9, 2014 at 5:15 pm

After moving to Lugdunum, the quest was scratched out, and the city changed to Roman but the quest itself did not actually complete until around 10 minutes later.

When it did finally complete, it opened up the command console, froze the advisor and locked the marker arrow and advisor on the screen and proceeded to bug out progressing with Superior Engineering: Bridge the Arar.

Thanks for the report, I haven't heard of that delayed completion issue before but we'll look into it.

Bridge the Arar was also in itself impossible to complete before these events as a Sequani bridge was already in place in the only area it was allowing a bridge to be built.

That is a documented bug and we're working on that.

In an attempt to clear the bug I saved the game and then attempted to reload it. This resulted in a CTD with an 'unrecoverable error' Conflicting ID's: 25952752.

Unfortunately savegames are a little unstable at this point so I recommend using multiple slots. If you could e-mail me that savegame I might be able to get a better idea of what's going on.

Level 7 Human gamer
Posted on January 9, 2014 at 5:23 pm

Yes during a General arrives. The hotlink sent the camera back to a spot west of his starting location. Also happened during the second playthrough. Some point tonight when my internet is a little more reliable (mass snow causing issues lately) I'll uninstall and reinstall, see how many if any things that fixes for me.

For the message box yes, the one that lists units defeated, quests completed, towns captured etc. I'd like to be able to make it bigger to be able to see more than two events at a time. Another pet peeve in Gold was when I'd get migrants for a reward and then the town cap, defeated units and generals etc would scroll that back a fair way.

Some issues/observations from second attempt at 1st campaign:

- Ordering units from anywhere north of Lemincum on Geneva's side to march into Lemincum causes them to start walking round in small circles, the unit formation box and green direction marker start rapidly flashing, they do not move beyond the circling. Asking units from the direction of Salassorum have no issues.

- Unit movement sounds. Seem too fast, when legions are marching, the sound effect plays as though they are running and not walking.

- Selection boxes for cities seem a tad too big. It can make selecting individual units close by, or attempting to move units close to the city difficult to do. Either selecting the city or telling them to garrison it respectively.

- Camera in passes. Gets a little awkward trying to zoom into the action when mountains are behind the cursor, tends to focus in on the mountains instead of the troops you actually want to look at.

- Farms and logging camps connected to cities. When camps exist either close to, or in between the resource building and the town destination they seem to be siphoning off all the supplies before they reach the town. With the chain setup as: Resource -> Town <- Camp. The resources are stockpiled at the camp, but the camp refuses to forward on the resources back to the city despite being connected. I need to visit each city individually and set their stockpile amounts from zero to minimum for the camps to acknowledge they exist and start forwarding supplies. In the end I just deleted all the camps to make life easier.

- Might be worth noting: In the first playthrough the farm at Lugdunum had workers already garrisoned as well as two units of workers in Lugdunum. In the second playthrough things were as they should be, no workers at the farm, two units in Lugdunum.

- As in 1st attempt, Setting the Stage was crossed out upon reaching Lugdunum but again did not complete. The town switched to my control but the quest remained.

- Superior Engineering: Bridge the Arar. Again as on 1st playthrough, impossible to progress. Sequani bridge is already in place at the trigger location. The only units the advisor recognises as valid are workers or slaves. Combat units do not trigger her next dialogue. As this had not yet bugged out like 1st attempt, I attempted to declare war on the Sequani to destroy their bridge but this was also impossible due to the advisor text window blocking out half the diplomacy window.

- A small issue, it feels as though the tooltip window takes up a rather large amount of screen space, rather frustrating when trying to select a unit that ends up buried behind it.

Going to take a small break for now and then attempt the second part of the campaign later this afternoon as currently I just cannot progress in the first. Should I continue to make my observations in this thread or is there another method easier for you that you would prefer?

Edit: Savegame file will be on it's way momentarily.

Edit #2: About the Garrison numbers etc. I can see how people would be intimidated by lots of numbers. With the new system of morale decline before rebellion, rather than the yes or no system of Gold the garrison strength is less important. I would very much like to see this sort of information back on the units though. While in time I'd learn what every unit should be at, I still like to be able to gather as much info in as short a time as possible. Personal preference though.

Level 6 Human by day; superhero by night
Alignment: Evil
Posted on January 9, 2014 at 5:43 pm

I can confirm this on my side too. It sounds like a drumming machine gun. A game restart solved it for me at one point, another time just clicking the unit again.

I can also confirm this. Similarly my own resolution was to restart the game. Did not know that clicking on the unit once again may resolve it, so thanks for the tip! :D

I also noticed how it escalates dramatically when the map is zoomed-out to its fullest extent, then begins to slow to an almost rhythmic pace when zoomed roughly in the middle of the map (50% in, 50% out) before finally beating crazily again as I zoomed in fully. Hope that helps the search for a fix. :P

Ran into first major game breaking issue.

Bridge the Arar was also in itself impossible to complete before these events as a Sequani bridge was already in place in the only area it was allowing a bridge to be built. If at this point you were supposed to break the truce with the Sequani the game did not say.

I can confirm this own end also. When attempting to reload the game to see if it would provide at least a temporary fix, I crashed-to-desktop without making a back-up. D: My own fault, though. :P

Similarly, I have to agree with Antiscamp and Bansh. Hegemony: Rome is a fantastic achievement! Even though we're at a very early stage in a very early beta, the game remains utterly enjoyable. :)

Level 7 Human gamer
Posted on January 9, 2014 at 7:55 pm

Last one for today me thinks, haven't written so much down since my school days, consequently my hand hurts =|

- After the battle of Bibracte a couple units of Suebi spearmen appeared, I sent the Legions to intercept and engage. They did so. The Suebi however had other ideas, they kept just trying to force their way through my troops to carry on to their original destination. My last point in this post will be related but I'll leave it last as it ties in with another observation.

- The unit window in towns constantly reset to the top row whenever you select a unit. In towns with several units currently garrisoned this can make multi selecting a chore.

- Unit upgrading. It seems that having a unit with Quartermaster and Hunter causes a conflict. Upon upgrading to Quartermaster II it forcibly removes the hunter from the upgrades. This does not refund the 1000xp spent on the Hunter so I am assuming this is a bug. If not, I'm curious to know why we can't have both?

- Select home city button is gone from the Command panel, intentional? Was a very useful tool to quickly monitor recruit levels at home cities.

- Generals stay mounted when merged with infantry units, is this intentional? Often leads to either the General leaving the infantry behind or vice versa.

- Are siege defenses currently working? Bibracte was besieged by two units of Suebi spearmen. Despite having all 4 Legions garrisoned inside Bibracte not a single casualty was inflicted on the Suebi. Before the city fell I sallied all the Legions and sent them to engage the spearmen. They then proceeded to act as the previously mentioned Suebi spearmen had earlier, charged into them and then kept on walking right through and beyond the enemy units. Down to the combat not yet being finished?

- After this battle I retreated the 4 units from Bibracte to Lugdunum, on the way back they all entered the bridge and unanimously decided it was prime real estate and refused to budge for any command and got stuck. A unit of workers I had tried to move earlier but forgotten about was also stuck with them.

- Attempting to send a unit of hostages from Bibracte to Eporedia via a waypoint due to distance. The route they had to take means they were forced to go through Lemincum due to the map boundary. They apparently managed to get themselves refused entry at the gate as they were stuck half in, half out of the city. Ordering them to garrison Lemincum and then reissuing the move command to Eporedia cleared this up.

I hope that isn't too many complaints/suggestions/observations/questions for one day. I still maintain that even in it's beta state this is a fantastic game and cannot wait to see the finished product when it comes.

Level 7 Human gamer
Posted on January 10, 2014 at 2:57 pm

Ran across a CTD in the 2nd campaign.

At the time was ordering a unit of workers from inside the bridge to move out and capture an independent farm, didn't repeat upon reloading and also hadn't occurred when giving the same order to the first unit of workers for a different farm. Still, might be useful in figuring out if this crash is part of a wider issue.

Level 5 Human gamer
Posted on January 10, 2014 at 6:05 pm

I had a very similar error message on the 2nd campaign last night too, and published my error message as well, so we're onto something good there, Bansh. I got a dmp file on that occasion, if Rob is interested. I can upload it, but it turns out it's rather large.

Level 5 Human gamer
Posted on January 10, 2014 at 10:04 pm

Has anyone noticed that unit sometimes go inside bridges? It is seen as a building and when i try to transport multiple units then all seem to go inside the bridge rather than over it this then results in the units losing food. I am not click on the bridge I am clicking on the other side of the crossing.

Edit: Just after posting this i sent my cavalry (full strength) over the bridge and only 3 units cam out the other side. I also did the same with my Legio, I started with 30 and ended up with.
It is the bridge called Suabi which is located on the first mission in between the cities of Segobodium and Vesontio.

Level 7 Human gamer
Posted on January 10, 2014 at 10:10 pm

They do that all the time for me. Not sure if it's intentional or not. Maybe it's too difficult for them to make an object both a walkway and a garrison structure?

Level 7 Human Master & Commander, HMS Spitfire
Posted on January 11, 2014 at 1:58 am

Just started in. Awesome first impression.

Even though I lived in Geneva for 3 years, I never knew that the Romans called it "Genava" (Wikipedia agrees).

I love period touches like this--since the info card for Genava gives later history, it might explain it later became "Geneva".

Level 13 Extraplanar Programmer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on January 11, 2014 at 3:33 am

There's a whole lot of cities where the modern name is different. Keeping track of them while doing the research could be challenging at times.

We could potentially add a "Modern name" line to cities where we know the modern name, but we'd need to do another pass over all the cities, and it's a trade-off between adding more information and making the tooltips larger and noisier.

Level 7 Human Master & Commander, HMS Spitfire
Posted on January 11, 2014 at 7:36 am

To start out, I feel really privileged to have the chance to participate. The whole Longbow team should be really proud of this game. All comments are intended to be constructive suggestions, not criticism.

Rick: The description of many of the cities already refers to their later history and modern name. For some reason, Genava/Geneva doesn't. An easy fix would be to just edit the Genava descriptive information. It's not a big deal--it just stuck out when I saw Geneva at the tip of Lac Leman.

I was stuck at "bridge the Arar" (bridge already built by ally), so I instead played the Belgica sandbox. The "drumroll" sound glitch occurred mainly when the raiders were burning a resource. I had a few freezeups--screen greyed out, the game was stuck, and I had to force quit and restart. As I played longer, it stopped.

However, every time I captured a Raider fort and clicked on the build siege unit button, I got this error: "class GK2LanguageException. . . . . No string name found for string index Factions#ADJECTIVE."

Also, when I captured defeated raiders, I got a message that hostility increased with [blank--no faction mentioned]. This may be related to the previous item.

I noticed at least twice, that my skirmishers seemed to leave 3-4 stragglers behind when they advanced. I don't know if this is just graphics or affects gameplay.

For some more general impressions, I like the more limited scope of the sandbox. For (at least) slightly obsessive players like me, the Hegemony Gold sandbox was a bit daunting. No matter how many cities you conquered, there was always another region, and I never felt like I won. Belgica is a nice contained size.

I like the expanded skills for armies. Is the description on "Sentinel" incorrect? If I remember correctly, the narrative describes a buff in town defense, but the last line says +10% view range, same as "Scout."

The skill names for non-Roman armies still sounded Roman. If the skill tree is the same, maybe the skill names could be different for the non-Romans. The idea of a Celtic warband being led by a Tribune didn't quite fit--but a Champion or Druid (if not a menhir-lobbing giant) might.

Finally, is there a way to split slaves into multiple units? I know how to combine them, but not split them. Since some resources don't use all 40 slaves, it would be nice to be able to split off 10 or 20.

Is there a way to rename units? Maybe I missed it.

Again, great job!

Level 5 Human Gamer
Alignment: Good
Posted on January 11, 2014 at 9:32 am

Finally, is there a way to split slaves into multiple units? I know how to combine them, but not split them. Since some resources don't use all 40 slaves, it would be nice to be able to split off 10 or 20.

Agreed, that'd be a really useful feature!

On another note, I have also lived in Geneva for 3 years, and didn't know that. However, last summer I visited and at House Tavel they had a visual presentation on the evolution of the city on a 3d model starting with Caesar pushing the Helvetii back by taking down the bridge so it's quite neat to also see this in-game. :)

Level 5 Human gamer
Posted on January 11, 2014 at 9:46 am

I came to think about when I visited Rome and saw a guy dressed up as a Roman Centurion at the Colosseum answering his cellphone, he then stepped into his Fiat and drove away. How about that for historical immersion and realism, eh? Reminds me a bit of Rome 2 Total War come to think of it.

Level 5 Human gamer
Alignment: Lawful good
Posted on January 11, 2014 at 11:10 am

Most bugs I've seen have already been described, but anyway, here is my first report.

-On the main menu, there seems to be a semi-transparent layer while the camera is flying over the map.

-Game freezes when trying to load ingame. Only loading from the main menu seems to work.

-That enemy controlled bridge near Genava can be demolished by simply selecting it and then choosing the demolish option, as if it was controlled by me. That bridge is tagged as camp by the way. Anyway, I did the same thing with the Arar bridge, which was controlled by my ally. It appears I can't cross bridges that are controlled by allies, which is somewhat odd.

-I too run into that drum sound glitch, several times in fact just after I reached the city of Bibracte.

-The enemy AI doesn't seem to care much about their units staying idle. I can just wait until they run out of supplies and then attack them. Some objectives like Sequani raids and ancestral debts are affected by this.

-Mouse sensitivity isn't that great yet. I find myself using the arrow keys most of the time to move around the map.

-Melee AI gets sometimes idle when facing multiple enemy units.

-At some point, I had this "under attack - auto-paused" message in the middle of the screen that just didn't go away, even though I wasn't being attacked and the game was no longer paused.

More feedback coming soon.

Pages 1 2