Skip navigation

Popularity?

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Tread Marks > Popularity?
Level 5 Human Machinist
Alignment: Lawful good
Posted on January 6, 2014 at 5:25 am

How many people actually play this game still?

Level 13 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on January 7, 2014 at 2:46 am

Believe it or not I still do! I mainly play capture the flag with the AIs with some mods. It gets me ready for the clan battles although they are getting few and far between anymore. Sigh ... time moves on ...

Level 14 Human bookkeeper
Posted on January 7, 2014 at 9:25 am

me and my bro still play, mainly on sundays on the armageddon server...
i also have 2 other brothers that still play, but not online.
it's a fun diversion that does not require any kind of lengthy time commitment.
toodles,
harmless
:)

Level 9 Human gamer
Alignment: Lawful
Posted on January 13, 2014 at 12:46 am

I play it everyday.
I play my Bro's "Harmless Enough" Server.
The tanks are fast and furious.

Level 13 Human gamer
Alignment: Chaotic
Posted on January 28, 2014 at 6:32 am

Some of us also nostalgically pull up the forums as well. Btw, are there any Sunday DDMs coming up? :)

Level 13 Human Cyb0rg tank pil0t:|@- ҉҈҉҈҉-§¹Ç--҉҈҉-
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on February 14, 2014 at 3:52 pm

i'm still here, just been through 10 computers and my clan still exists, S1C

many of my friends who were going to join ended up with life bs or changes etc, i also had networking issues from 2009 to 2013, now can finally run my game servers

on top of all this, work, school and other games people accept to play (WoW etc) keep me away from tread marks

the epic lack of popularity of this game is mostly due to longbow games being the exact opposite of enthusiastic about the potential tread marks has left

its even funnier that, World Of Tanks stole tread marks concept and makes thousands from the mobile market where longbow could easily tap into

just like scorched earth, it'll just fade into obscurity while anti-clones like angry birds ghoul-digg the crap out of the games

to all you oldschoolers, and i hope newbies. i will be gaming this sunday....

Level 15 Human Jack-of-all-trades
Posted on December 14, 2014 at 6:53 am

I know this is late but, I still host a server and need to dig out my CD so I an load it again on my current system.

Level 14 Human Shadow
Posted on December 21, 2014 at 4:59 am

As I have been on a Mac for years now, and no longer even start up my Windows XP VM that had Treadmarks on it... unfortunately don't play anymore :(

Level 12 Human scientist
Posted on April 13, 2015 at 12:40 am

I think I'm going to start playing again.

Posted on June 2, 2015 at 5:06 am

I think I'm going to start playing again.

you better! ;)

Level 12 Human Writer & Computer Consultant
Alignment: Good
Posted on June 15, 2015 at 6:59 pm

Still here, still modding to a point, although finding the infos (and programs!) to make new levels and tanks is proving close to impossible.

I suspect it'd benefit (greatly) from modern coding practices and whatnot. (No offense to those currently maintaining the code, mind you.)

Bothers me a bit that newer games from LDA are at v2.2.2 or above, while this one's languished at 1.6.2 for a long time. Granted, this game originated in the late 1990s, early 2000s, but heavens, folks...other games from the same time period are still being maintained more actively by their original companies (Nadeo's TrackMania comes to mind, and is just over 10 years old), or have been open-sourced.

Others are right: World of Tanks did steal the general idea of TreadMarks. Had a friend complain (bitterly) about how weak the normal gun is on his WoT tanks, which fits with TreadMarks pretty consistently. LOL

Posted on June 15, 2015 at 7:00 pm

As I have been on a Mac for years now, and no longer even start up my Windows XP VM that had Treadmarks on it... unfortunately don't play anymore :(Dude! Try PlayOnLinux or Crossover Office to get TM running on that Mac! Should work. LOL

Level 12 Human old school map & modpack maker
Posted on July 29, 2015 at 3:41 am

I'm considering starting up again too :p Too many mods to finish and modpacks to play - itching to play the haunted house, pooltable and hells bells again :) If I want to join in, whats the current setup re patches / and server ip ? (Win7) Thx

Posted on July 30, 2015 at 9:08 am

master server ip is 38.112.120.110

if you plan on using mods, don't install TM in the default 'program files' folder.
windows vista win7 win8 don't allow you to make any changes to anything in program files.
any change you try make, [ ie: using addons ] gets put in some weird location and TM will
never see the addons you try to use. just install TM on the C: drive itself or a 2nd drive
or some other place you have full rights to. then TM will see the addons. yea for windows.

toodles
harmless

Level 12 Human Tinker
Posted on January 1, 2016 at 3:58 pm

Still playing. It works quite well in Windows 8/8.1, I am pleased to say. I need to try it in Linux sometime, though, as I just spotted someone mentioning that it is possible.

Posted on January 5, 2016 at 7:11 am

i've been using codeweavers crossover on my macs for years now, and playing TM just fine.
they also have a linux solution, and give back to the wine project regularly.

Level 7 Human very old & slow
Posted on January 28, 2016 at 7:01 pm

It's been a while, but am back again, play the LDA server about 1 to 2 hrs a day, with short breaks between games.
Am using win 10, and works fine. I installed the mod for friction, and leave it at 15. Better control. Would like to see coop against AI. Not particularly a DM fan.

Posted on July 24, 2016 at 11:57 pm

It's been a while, but am back again, play the LDA server about 1 to 2 hrs a day, with short breaks between games.
Am using win 10, and works fine. I installed the mod for friction, and leave it at 15. Better control. Would like to see coop against AI. Not particularly a DM fan.

so am i...running tread marks 1.6.2 on a windows to go drive....windows 10 - X64

i run her on my Xplore tablet x104c5 with a 1tb samsung 850 evo SSD 8gb of ram

runs like a champ. also for those with intel chipset video, and windows

Intel PHDGD modded drivers (HD series, Media Accellerator)
http://www.intellimodder32.com

and for starving 945GMA junkers

Chell 1.8b gaming driver - supports windows 10 945/950/ most ddr2 (older cards)
http://brenton.nom.za/forum/showthread.php?tid=1

Posted on October 12, 2016 at 3:56 am

Still playing. It works quite well in Windows 8/8.1, I am pleased to say. I need to try it in Linux sometime, though, as I just spotted someone mentioning that it is possible.
Heck yeah, it's possible. And gets higher frame-rates than Windows, or at least it does using Linux Mint 17.3 on a Toshiba Satellite laptop. Install PlayonLinux (current version) and it would work pretty much out of the box, though you'd have to use "Custom Install" because there's not an install script.

Still considering another variant of the Black Plague, although my stepson took one of my older variants and made an insanely deadly variant called the Rapid Cruiser. Have also made a variant I call the Red Death; the thing is better for sniper shots, 'cause if it misses, it will eventually kill, but is so fast it has a harder time turning.

Couple of ideas I have for tanks and tracks are impractical because the tools I need are either not available or just won't work in Linux. If I were the custodian of TreadMarks, I'd release it to the open-source community. Chances are, it'd get rapid improvements and a toolset that will work reliably on Windows and Linux. :)