Skip navigation

Rome

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > Rome
Level 6 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on January 1, 2014 at 6:56 pm

Hey Longbow,

Game looks really great. I'm really glad you have a city upgrade system. The more there is to work for to build always the better. Is their unit upgrades? What about special elite units to make things more difficult sometimes kinda like maybe a boss battle when fighting vercingetorix?

I had long ago hoped this game would be out by now but its cool. Rome 2 Total War has been the biggest game disappointment ever for me becuase Rome and history games are very rare and it was the only game I looked forward to. Creative Assembly has a monopoly basically on TW similar games because no one else makes anything like it.

That's why I hope your game kicks ass and makes millions and millions. HOPefully steam will provide a large enough venue for people to see it and buy it and you guys be really successful. The game looks really cool and I'm excited for it. I was like two years ago though lol. Anyways, I hope whatever happens, you guys keep making history games in this niche market and not cater to all the mindless casual crap out there. Happy New Year!

Level 8 Human Truffle Farmer
Alignment: Good
Posted on January 5, 2014 at 8:34 am

Gibstone, I am not too sure about boss battles but the longbow team has mentioned that they wanted to include more 'set-piece' battles in Rome. If you have played Philip of macedon/Gold then you would have gone through the battle to secure Macedon near the beginning of the game. I think they plan to have more of those scattered throughout the game.

The only thing I know about unit upgrades is what was present in Philip of macedon. Essentially as the units gained experience they could become better at logistics or initiative, etc. I don't know whether they will be expanding upon this system much. Although I do know that some units will be able to traverse marshy terrain while others can't.

Finally, I think they mentioned that there will be special units. I know there were in the first game and I believe that, at the very least, some of Caesar's legions will be special units.

Level 16 Extraplanar gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on January 7, 2014 at 3:59 pm

Is their unit upgrades?

Yes, we've replaced the upgrade system from Philip with a new officer mechanic that is analogous to the new city upgrades e.g. each unit has a fixed number of slots and you can use your unit's xp to promote officers into those positions from a list of about a dozen officer types. Each officer can then be promoted further and eventually turned into a general if you wish and detached from the unit.

What about special elite units to make things more difficult sometimes kinda like maybe a boss battle when fighting vercingetorix?

Blxz pretty much covered it: the campaign in Rome is more like the opening of the Philip campaign where everything leads up to the battle against Bardylis in Upper Macedonia. So you will encounter quite a few set-piece battles like Ariovistus at the end of chapter 1 or Vercingetorix at the end of the game.

The sandbox in Rome will actually be more like the later campaign in Philip where you've got a completely wide open map and relatively straight forward objectives to capture and defeat certain enemy targets.