Skip navigation

Texturizer: what became its fate ?

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > General Chatter > Texturizer: what became its fate ?
Level 9 Human
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on December 28, 2013 at 8:27 am

Back in the earlier days of Longbow, there was a word about a seamless texture generator, programmed by Seumas, known as Texturizer. A beta version was distributed to a few members of the old bulletin boards, and I recall it was anticipated to eventually be released...but then its page was taken down, after years without a single word about it. So what lead to the decision to discontinue this brilliant program ? Is there any chance that Longbow will give it a public release in the future ?

Level 14 Extraplanar Programmer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on January 4, 2014 at 5:15 am

After Seumas died, the project never got finished. We were using it internally for a bit, but since then a couple things happened. First, storage sizes and Internet speeds shot way up, making it less important to distribute tiny textures. Procedural texture generators are still useful for creating abstract textures, but since Seumas died, hundreds of other procedural texture generators came out, making Texturizer dated before it was even released.

It's not completely out of the question that the beta could be publicly released at some point - I just dug it up and it still runs - but it would take a little work to prepare it for release, and we're really focused on getting Rome out the door right now.

Level 9 Human
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on January 4, 2014 at 3:05 pm

Well, I'm all up about it if you find some time after finishing Rome !