Skip navigation

Nasty Adobe AcroBat Bug

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > General Chatter > Nasty Adobe AcroBat Bug
Level 15 Human Jack-of-all-trades
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on September 1, 2005 at 2:48 am

Adobe Acrobat reader has a flaw that can cause it to stop running; apparently, it doesn't clean up after itself very well and can place thousands of .tmp files in one of several places.

When it reaches the maximum number for computers, a really big number, it won't load and will spike the processor and it might hang your computer.

To address this, look in temp directories for files starting with acr and with the .tmp classifier. Delete them. Oh, you will have to do this from a command prompt, I found nothing in the c:\temp using Explorer on one of my system but deleted over sixty-five-thousand files from the command line.

This problem affects Apples systems as well, I haven't a clue where Apples keep their temp files.

Level 13 Human wizard
Alignment: Good
Posted on September 1, 2005 at 5:01 pm

Yea you will have to delete all those files for Windows when Adobe Reader 7.0.3 (or whatever version you have) activates. That is why I limit the space to 1 KB (that is the minimum).

To do this go to your internet options in your control panel. Make sure you are at General tab first, then click on Settings in Temporary Internet Files. You should see a slider when you get to it. Put the silder to the minimum area and Adobe shouldn't crash for Windows.

Update! Version 7.0.3 is now available.