Skip navigation

A Legion of Your Own

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > News > A Legion of Your Own
Level 16 Extraplanar gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on December 12, 2013 at 3:45 am
Tagged: hegemonyrome devblog screenshot

We were polishing up the new unit window and thought it might be interesting to share since it shows off a number of new features in the game.

The stats you'll see are largely unchanged from the previous games with the exception of new Charge Strength and Charge Block. In Rome, charging is no longer limited to just cavalry vs light infantry. All melee units can potentially charge, but the success is now based not only on class, but also any bonuses they have.

Which brings me to the blue numbers you see next to a couple of the stats. These are the net bonuses the unit has from modifiers such as their stance, native faction, general or officers.

The last things on the page are the small pencil next to the title and the arrows underneath the portrait. With these you'll be able to customize your units both to add flavour to the game and also help you keep track of your units.

Clicking the pencil allows you to change the name of the unit - this won't be available for special units in the game like Caesar, but will work with anything you recruit yourself.

The arrows under the portrait allow you to change the unit's skin (model/texture) on the 3D map. There won't be many options for this at launch, but eventually this should fill up through mods and extra content.

Level 5 Human gamer
Posted on December 12, 2013 at 10:07 am

I really like the charge bonus for poor bloody infantry as well. Throughout history, it's been vital to warfare; seeing a large block of enemy troops coming at you with a loud "horraah!" was often enough to break enemies. During the Napoleonic Wars, infantry charges of this kind were more often than not able to break enemy units into routs and didn't result in proper melee even. I know Swedish armies during Sweden's wars up until 1809 made an artform of infantry charges with bayonets on. I bet the Roman Legion utilized similar ideas, and most certainly their Gaulic foes.

Good job! I'm really looking forward to this game and read all the dev diaries with great interest. This is going to be one of the big ones for 2014. :)

Level 6 Human gamer
Alignment: Lawful good
Posted on December 12, 2013 at 12:53 pm

Wasn't Roman warfare based on "Let them come to you!"? Or is that just a cliché?

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on December 12, 2013 at 5:37 pm

Total nerdgasm seeing this post, definitely can't wait for Rome to be released, I'm especially happy that the legions, whilst having low charge ability have a high charge resistance, so they'll be standing fast against hordes of light infantry. :D

Posted on December 12, 2013 at 9:46 pm

I'm especially happy that the legions, whilst having low charge ability have a high charge resistance, so they'll be standing fast against hordes of light infantry. :D

The numbers in this shot aren't final, but you have the right idea. Legions play a hybrid role in the game where they've got high enough attack strength to use them offensively, but they are also well enough armoured to resist a charge (including from most cavalry if they're in a battleline stance).

Generally we're hoping that if you've got a balanced army, your legions will hold the battleline like the phalangites in Gold while you bring your cavalry around to flank. However, one of their key benefits is that legions are flexible enough to also fill in as skirmishers or limited ranged support when needed.

Level 7 Human gamer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on December 13, 2013 at 9:30 am

The arrows under the portrait allow you to change the unit's skin (model/texture) on the 3D map. There won't be many options for this at launch, but eventually this should fill up through mods and extra content.

Cosmetic DLC confirmed. ;p

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on December 14, 2013 at 4:17 pm

When you say net bonuses, is the number in blue the actual value for that unit or is it the total of all bonuses added to that unit? That is, for the legion in the screenshot, is their view range 8 or 13?

Level 6 Human gamer
Posted on December 15, 2013 at 9:10 am

As the 5 is crossed out, I think it would be 8 then.

Posted on December 15, 2013 at 3:04 pm

GiftGrun is right, crossing out the number was supposed to clarify that the blue number replaces the original. But thanks Alexander for the observation, that is the trick with gui design - not everyone interprets things the same way and its helpful for us to get some different perspectives

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on December 15, 2013 at 3:27 pm

I missed the strikethrough, which caused the confusion. I figured that the blue number was a replacement and not additive, but wasn't sure.

Thanks for the reply!