Skip navigation

Mini-Blog: Flanking

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > News > Mini-Blog: Flanking
Level 16 Extraplanar gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on November 15, 2013 at 5:06 pm
Tagged: hegemonyrome devblog

We're deep in crunch right now which unfortunately hasn't left a lot of time for blogging. However, for those interested in how things work under the hood, I thought I'd make a quick post on some of the work we're doing updating the flanking mechanics for Rome.

Flanking plays a critical role in tactical combat in Hegemony. Along with logistics, it's a great equalizer between heavy and light units and also emphasizes the importance of the terrain and battlefield formations.

In Gold, we calculated flanking by comparing attack angles between units. While this worked most of the time, it could run into trouble when units became overly engaged. In Rome, the new system calculates a bounding polygon created by the attackers and then checks the percentage of the enemy that falls within it. Once roughly 3/4 of a brigade is enclosed by attackers then we consider that brigade flanked and they start losing morale.

In the screenshot above, the legions aren't flanked yet, but you can see how the polygon is extending around the Gaul at the bottom of the screen and will eventually enclose the Romans. In the shot below, you can see two Roman skirmishing units successfully flanking a larger brigade of Gallic Spearmen. As in Gold, the buff above a unit indicates when they are receiving a flanking penalty.

Next Blog: Rebellion
Prev Blog: Landscape Design

Level 8 Human Test Dummy (MK III)
Alignment: Lawful
Posted on November 16, 2013 at 5:31 pm

I might have missed something, but if i only flank one side of a brigade with cavalry i won't get a bonus?

Level 16 Extraplanar gamer
Posted on November 16, 2013 at 10:10 pm

To get a flanking bonus you'll need to attack an enemy from two opposing directions e.g. front and rear, or from three adjacent sides e.g. front and both sides. Check out the screenshots below for a couple examples or wikipedia has a pretty thorough article on flanking if you're interested.

A legion pins the enemy spearmen in place while cavalry sweep around behind to flank.

Two units of skirmishers converge on an enemy spearmen line.

If you have anymore questions let me know.

Level 5 Human gamer
Posted on November 21, 2013 at 6:35 am

I just bought Hegemony Gold Wars of Ancient Greece yesterday and it seems like it's a good time to join the fun over here. I'm really looking forward to Rome now as well!

Level 8 Human Test Dummy (MK III)
Alignment: Lawful
Posted on November 22, 2013 at 8:56 pm

To get a flanking bonus you'll need to attack an enemy from two opposing directions e.g. front and rear, or from three adjacent sides e.g. front and both sides. Check out the screenshots below for a couple examples or wikipedia has a pretty thorough article on flanking if you're interested.

A legion pins the enemy spearmen in place while cavalry sweep around behind to flank.

Two units of skirmishers converge on an enemy spearmen line.

If you have anymore questions let me know.

Thanks, that clears it up.