Skip navigation

Rome 2 Total War

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > Rome 2 Total War
Level 7 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on September 6, 2013 at 1:11 pm

Those of you thinking of buying Rome 2 total war, I would definitely wait til its cheap. I am so disappointed with it and can't believe how the developers could be so dumb to not see how they had a winning formula and turned it upside down. I know this is the forum about Hegemony. But I post because it's relevant to Hegemony because if only the advertising for this game could reach the community of total war players, I think they would really want to try this because of how disappointing Rome 2 is. I know there are problems with bugs and stuff like that when games come out. Even now I believe people struggle with bugs from the Philip Hegemony game. But those can be fixed. Rome 2's screwed up the actual gameplay mechanics.

Actually, something came to mind. This question is to the longbow game developers on here. I'm not sure how the working environment is for creating games, but at Creative Assembly, do you think the developers might see all the backlash and try to fix some of the core gameplay problems? I'm not talking bugs and stuff but for example, now they have this flag on maps so the game is essentially capture the flag instead of using total war tactics that make the game fun. Would it take too much time to fix something like that? As a regular person not knowing anything about program I would think that if they wanted to they could do it and it would make us very pleased but it may in reality take a long long time because you have to program the AI to not go after that flag anymore and stuff like that. I think in my mind though that they may not even care or try to fix anything because the executives at SEGA have said, "no fixing anything." "we are already moving on to the next DLC expansion." it pisses me off so much.

you guys do not seem like that this at all. from what ive seen you are always responding to your community. what do you think is going on over there at Creative Assembly?

Level 7 Human gamer
Posted on September 6, 2013 at 5:19 pm

I'll second that. R2's in some really bad shape. Only mods can save it and that will take some time. Bring on Hegemony Rome! Edit: just a heads up devs. I think a lot of TW vets will be looking at Hegemony as a replacement for the Rome fix. One of the biggest letdowns of the game are the immediate routing of units. Battles are way too arcade-like and it's really hurting reviews of the game. Maybe something to consider.

Level 17 Extraplanar gamer
Posted on September 6, 2013 at 9:12 pm

Battles are way too arcade-like and it's really hurting reviews of the game. Maybe something to consider.

I haven't had much time to play R2 yet, but I have been trying to read some of the feedback while I'm compiling or loading. Frankly some of it sounds a lot like where we were between the original Philip game and Gold. In the original Hegemony we also found the combat was too "arcady", but we tried to address this in Gold by adding the flanking and charging bonuses and tweaking some units like the phalangites so they were more defensive and better at holding the enemy while you brought your cavalry around.

We're taking this a lot further in Rome because we've been able to completely rebuild the unit movement and collision systems to allow for more accurate interactions on the battlefield. The charge system is no longer just a cavalry vs light/heavy infantry feature, but now any unit can charge and any unit can block a charge so success depends on their unit class plus any buffs/debuffs from their general, officers and stance. Those buffs can also affect every other aspect of combat from morale to missile range so how you use individual units can make a big difference.

Level 8 Human gamer
Alignment: Lawful
Posted on September 7, 2013 at 3:56 am

It is a sad day when I have to finally throw in the towel and admit CA made a bad game. On the one hand I am having fun with it but that is down solely to being able to play as Rome, too few games take a shot at this time period.

Empire was my warning, Shogun 2 seemed to redress the balance and yet Rome 2 has now turned CA from instant buy into wait for 75% sale for any future titles. I can't help but wonder how many of the changes are down to Sega and I am left wondering if those people with the console version theories are right.

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on September 13, 2013 at 8:26 pm

I agree with Banish.
CA made a total mess with the game... and it is not about the bugs and performance issues.

Although the battles are more or less the same (ignoring the annoying bugs and AI intelligence).

The strategical aspect of the game is changed and in comparison with the previous versions for the worst in my opinion.

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on September 14, 2013 at 10:39 am

Yea, Rome II have been simplified in such a degree, that it's no longer a strategy game - it's an arcadeish battle simulator that get's boring really fast.

Which is probably a good thing for Longbow's Hegemony Rome :)

Level 8 Human Sage
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on November 5, 2013 at 1:55 am

i am also completely unimpressed with TW:Rome 2. So much so that i am revisiting H:Gold, and am here mainly to check if i am up to date with the version number.

Fingers crossed that the poor reception of TW:Rome will boost interest in H:Rome and not put potential new players off the idea completely.

Level 5 Human gamer
Posted on November 21, 2013 at 9:45 pm

My tips is to play the original Rome Total War and apply the Roma Surrectum mod for some real Roman action until Hegemony Rome.

Myself, I've had some fun with Rome 2 Total War, but I've actually been playing Roma Surrectum a lot more since the release of R2TW. That's kinda sad, since R2TW was an expensive and really anticipated pre-order.

Level 5 Human Archer
Alignment: Lawful
Posted on March 15, 2014 at 10:46 pm

Hi there,

Not trying to necro a thread, but this one seemed relevant, and the subject still unchanged so I thought it would be fine.
So I've been playing Hegemony Gold and I found the game to be really fun. I am also a long time fan of the Total War series and have been very disappointed by the persisting issues that plague Rome 2.

Hegemony Gold has been a great take on historical strategy games. I really love the real time aspect of the entire region bringing battles, cities, and logistics all into the same play field. I think it is a brilliant setup. In comparison to Rome 2 or any other Total War game, I think the Hegemony recipe could very well bridge the strategy and battle elements. Once I read that Longbow games made the engine up all on their own just for these games I figured they have a huge chance to greatly improve this already fun and creative game franchise.

It has been hard to find a worthy game to stand up to the Total Wars. Honestly even when the Creative Assembly screws up they have such a solid foundation of previous titles that very few other titles can compare against them. I'll say that I think Longbow games has come very close to making a comparably great title.

The battle elements in the Hegemony games are not near as developed as in TW games, but with the development, the fact that you made this engine yourselves, and how open you are to the community as far as what you are working on I think the Hegemony games can only go up.