Skip navigation

GamesCom 2013

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > News > GamesCom 2013
Level 16 Extraplanar gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on August 26, 2013 at 5:28 pm

We've done a lot of trade shows from PAX to NY Comic Con, but we've never really seen anything close to the scale of GamesCom. While photos can't really capture the overwhelming sights and sounds of the show, head over to Facebook for a small taste of what it's like in and around the convention.

For an idea of what we were doing at the show, HookedGamers just posted their impressions of the demo in a new Rome preview. Edit: Strategy Informer also posted a preview from our GamesCom demo.

And finally, a shoutout to our friends at Kalypso, it was great to finally meet you guys in person and thanks for hosting us and giving us some space to show off the game!

Level 6 Human gamer
Alignment: Lawful good
Posted on August 31, 2013 at 7:06 pm

I think the GamesCom isn't really the right place to advertise your game. As you have probably seen, the by far biggest part of the space in the "public" areas is occupied by the big companies to advertise their mainstream games, and probably thousands of 13 year old gamers who happily wait over three hours to play first person shooters or look at all the big shows and marketing surrounding them. Perhaps the business area is different, but some friends of mine went there and were so disappointed that they decided to return home on Saturday even though they had booked their hotels until Sunday.
One of them even said that the whole GamesCom is on the same level as the worst booths on the E3...

Level 16 Extraplanar gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on September 3, 2013 at 2:26 pm

You're right, the consumer section of GamesCom is way out of our league. I enjoyed checking out the big booths for the shear spectacle, but it's not really our demographic. However, an event that scale draws the press like moths and that's what we were there for. The game really demos best live and only a handful of the press we met had heard of Hegemony before, so we were able to introduce a fair number of new people to the series. And also it was a good opportunity to meet more of the Kalypso guys in person.