Skip navigation

The news you've all been waiting for ...

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > News > The news you've all been waiting for ...
Level 17 Extraplanar gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on August 22, 2013 at 11:32 pm
Tagged: hegemonyrome

In last week's blog we mentioned that, while we wouldn't have a blog post this week, we might have some other news to post while we're over at GamesCom. And, as some might of guessed, you don't go to the world's largest game show unless you've got something big to say. So, without further ado ... drum roll please ...

Longbow Games is excited to announce Hegemony Rome: The Rise of Caesar will be officially launching in Spring 2014 with the help of our new publishing partner Kalypso Media!

It's going to be a busy run up until release, and we've got a lot of exciting stuff to share, so stay tuned for more blogs, screenshots, videos and more!

Level 8 Human gamer
Alignment: Chaotic evil
Posted on August 23, 2013 at 10:32 am

Great news, great publisher!

Level 9 Human gamer
Posted on August 23, 2013 at 4:45 pm

Awesome. Also now there will have to be either a hegemony game set in the carribean, or a light-hearted palace-intrigues simulator set in the Macedonian court.

Level 8 Human gamer
Alignment: Lawful
Posted on August 24, 2013 at 8:54 am

Hmm I'm almost certain Kalypso are getting the better deal here. They'll actually have a game released under their label that isn't so bug ridden it wont work for the first week for a change.

Kinda sucks that we have to wait another 5/6 months though.

Level 8 Human Human
Posted on August 25, 2013 at 6:37 am

Great! Released just before I go back to Japan. That will give me something to play while I wait for my interwebs to be connected!

Level 5 Human gamer
Posted on August 25, 2013 at 3:32 pm

Hi all,
Been a long time fan of Hegemony: Wars of Ancient Greece, though never felt compelled to join the forum until now. After the debacle that was "LEGENDS OF PEGASUS", published by Kalypso last August I vowed never to buy another game published by them again. I now, of course have a dilemma. I am loathe to give Kalypso any more of my money so I may have to pass on a game that I was so looking forward to. I suppose I am cutting of my nose to spite my face, but there you go. The way Kalypso handled and ultimately abandoned Legends of Pegasus was disgraceful. I hope they do not do the same to Longbow Games.
Is there any way to buy the game directly through you when it comes out?

Posted on August 26, 2013 at 2:05 pm

Hi Drillerman, sorry for your previous experience. I only played Pegasus after all of the patches, but I did follow the news on the problems with the original release. I don't know what fell through between Kalypso and the developer in that case, but I can say that Kalypso has never pushed us to rush the release (hence the new release date). And, while we will utilize some of their QA services, ultimately the quality of the game will be our responsibility.

Under our current plan we will have a demo available so that players can try the game first so there should be no surprises. And, if you do decide to continue your boycott, like our previous games Rome will also be available for purchase through our site.

Posted on August 26, 2013 at 2:11 pm

Kinda sucks that we have to wait another 5/6 months though.

Sorry about that. Christmas is a really awkward period to schedule around - you either have to release far enough before the Holiday or you need to wait until long enough after. And, following up on what Drillerman was talking about, we really didn't want to risk the scale or quality of the game by rushing it to meet the holidays.

Level 8 Human gamer
Alignment: Lawful evil
Posted on August 26, 2013 at 2:28 pm

Bene

Level 5 Human gamer
Posted on August 26, 2013 at 9:14 pm

And, if you do decide to continue your boycott, like our previous games Rome will also be available for purchase through our site.

well, that is excellent news! I shall purchase the game through your site.:)

Level 7 Human gamer
Alignment: Lawful good
Posted on August 28, 2013 at 7:01 pm

As long as they let you patch your game as you like (i.e. through your site) in any loclization, they're far better than the ones you took for publishing Hegemony Gold in German...

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on August 29, 2013 at 2:10 pm

Do you know if Kalypso's edition (boxed) will have steam or their own copy protection? If yes, i'll buy from here (even though i'd love a manual). Kalypso started as a very good company but made some unwise decisions on the way and i don't buy from them instantely anymore.

Do you consider releasing on GOG as well? This would be great. Kalypso did release some games there (Omerta for instance).

Cheers

Level 7 Human gamer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on August 31, 2013 at 1:35 am

Been drolling around old posts on the forums and i found a hint as to this being the case:
http://www.longbowgames.com/forums/topic/?id=2900
Ricks post hints towards kalypso. o.O
Generally you only have releases with companies if you want to partner with them, correct?

Level 7 Human Soldier
Posted on October 26, 2013 at 10:43 pm

The wait is no big deal the longer the wait the better chance of killing bugs so I really appreciate it. Hegemony of Greece was an amazing game. I liked sandbox but without any goals to fulfill or a special unit you can upgrade the thrill of the game slowly slipped away. There were a few bugs that had accrued but a convo with customer support took care of it real quick. I do enjoy the games and look forward to continued playing. I like how I can get ahold of support unlike rome total war you call seta and get a long run around and in the end.the problem never gets solved.

Posted on October 30, 2013 at 5:16 pm

I liked sandbox but without any goals to fulfill or a special unit you can upgrade the thrill of the game slowly slipped away.

I think you'll like the sandbox changes we've done for Rome. We've got a new dynamic objective system that lets you pick what kind of objectives and rewards you like and generates new ones each time you play. We also have an extensive new upgrade system for your units and cities that lets you continue building your empire long after you capture the territory.