Skip navigation

I need aid (again)

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Tread Marks > I need aid (again)
Level 13 Human Unaffiliated Game Maker
Alignment: Chaotic
Posted on August 27, 2005 at 6:52 am

Sorry about all this but I've found your all quite helpfull and I have yet another question:
Does anyone know how to make a projectile spawn another projectile (or more than one) when it detonates.
Also: My projectile is sort of semi-see-through and I don't want it to be :?:

Level 13 Human Sr Code Monkey
Location: lost in the evil lands, of soccer-mom piloted minivans....
Posted on August 27, 2005 at 9:16 am

2 ways:

1) replace the expo ent in the projectile file with a spewer that fires off the original explo ent and your new projectile.
2) if your explo ent uses a mesh, you can use an entity chain in the explo ent in the explo t fire off the projectile.

As for your semi transparent projectile,change blend to alpha or remove the blend line altogether, from the projectile ent file.

Posted on August 27, 2005 at 1:27 pm

So if I chose the spewer that fires fireballs - like on volcano - would it fire once, or at intervals.
Also if it fires once- how do I get My Projectile to shoot out more that one other projectile?

Thx anyway :P

Posted on August 27, 2005 at 5:59 pm

look at the existing spewers in the entities folder. There are parameters to control how many entities to spew, how often, etc. I dono't remember them off the top of my head, but there are a few spewers in the game that use such options.

Posted on August 28, 2005 at 3:26 pm

Thx but I've abandoned that weapon since there was too much that turned out just not to work.... :cry:
Oh well....back to the old typing board I guess....

Level 13 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on August 30, 2005 at 12:17 am

Well, just for reference, as others have said, the best way to have a projectile create other projectiles is usually with a spewer. Since you wanted multiple types of projectiles to be thrown, a spewer would have been the best approach.

I haven't seen it explicitly mentioned in any of your threads yet, either, but take a look at the readme.txt files in the various entities directories. They detail what most of the parameters do, and are good reference tools.

Another thing that I've got to mention is one of the things that nobody's ever been able to do (as far as I know) in TM is have an entity inherit its direction from the entity that called it. So if your weapon relied on shooting the second projectiles in a direction relative to the direction of the first, then it can't be done, unfortunately.

You can somewhat control the direction of stuff with spewers, but spewer coordinates are global ones, not relative to anything but the map. So with a spewer, you could have something always shoot straight up, or north, or west, etc, but you can't tell one to shoot in a direction relative to what created it.

Posted on August 30, 2005 at 9:32 am

The only way you can get projectiles to inherit speed and direction is by

- entity chaining it to the parent projectile, which means you have to use a mesh type for the parent, and the projectiles cannot be repositioned. You can fake it by moving the projectile's mesh in a 3d editor to make it look like its firing from a different position, or use the "meshoffset" parameter. This okay for closly packed projectiles, or guided missles traveling at a good clip. In these cases, you will not notice that the projectiles are stacked on the same 3d point.

- by hanging it on the parent projectile as a flare and use "flareoffset"(IIRC, have to look it up) to position it relative to the parent but you can only have one.

In either case, both (or more, if you're multiply entchaining) projectiles are created simultaniously.