Skip navigation

Leader Modifiers

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > Leader Modifiers
Level 5 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on August 4, 2013 at 12:06 pm

The way I understand it, Leaders when attached to a unit simply add their stats to the unit stats. So if you have a 3 Heroic unit paired with a 5 Heroic leader, the unit essentially becomes an 8. However, in playing the Archidamian campaign, I've noticed plenty of leaderless 5 Spartan hoplite units fight to the last man, while the aforementioned 8 Athenian hoplite unit routs rather easily. I've tried this with identical units as well (Epirus 3s vs Acarnanian 3s, for example, where all else was equal, except that Epirus had a leader) and the led unit fared no better than the leaderless one (in fact, usually worse).

Now, I know it's too late to worry about this for the Greek game, but the devs might want to take a look for the upcoming Roman game just to make sure all is working as designed.

Thanks!

Level 7 Human gamer
Alignment: Lawful good
Posted on August 4, 2013 at 12:27 pm

The Spartian hoplites are, firstly, 10 men more than the Athenian ones giving them the possibility to fight 4 opponents with 5 of their men. Secondly, they're stronger too (or was it tougher? better than a normal hoplite anyway) and thirdly, a four-star unit without leader is as good in this stat than a three-star unit with a three-star leader, as one star = nothing, 2 stars = normal advantage (12.5 morale), 3 stars = doubled advantage (25 morale), 4 stars = 4x the normal advantage (50 morale) and 5 stars is 8x the normal advantage, giving the unit 100 extra morale. So the advantage doubles with every star added, and 3 stars + 5 stars is only a mere 25 morale better than the 5 star-Spartans. And while your "normal noobie-hoplites" are weaker, they will not kill as many opponents and as such will suffer more from a morale loss (every kill gives a morale boost, less kills grant less morale regeneration).

Level 5 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on August 4, 2013 at 1:24 pm

That's awesome, GiftGrun! I take it you're part of the development team? If so, this kind of info in the rulebook would be wonderful. I had assumed a 1-star leader was better than nothing, for example, and can see now that he is not. Would have been nice to know as it makes a lot more sense now to double up leaders, taking advantage of their traits when some of them (the traits, that is) are worthless.

Thanks for the explanation!

Level 7 Human gamer
Alignment: Lawful good
Posted on August 4, 2013 at 3:51 pm

No, I'm not part of the development team, (not even one of the testers during beta :-D ). I'm just a person that really wants to upgrade his men according to his needs and his personal style, so I looked carefully which upgrade does what.

By the way, all the modifiers currently active can be seen in the tooltip that pops up if you hover your mouse over one of the bars (food, morale). Alternatively, the advantages you get from a stat (without other modifiers like a shrine's aura) can be seen hovering the mouse over one of the four upgradeable stats in the unit screen.