Skip navigation

Releasing Hegemony Rome, a year after Rome II

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > Releasing Hegemony Rome, a year after Rome II
Level 7 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on July 16, 2013 at 5:40 pm

I thought you would have released Hegemony Rome before the release of Total War Rome 2, so the millions of players could have filled out the void - the waiting, with Hegemony Rome.

It seems the release of Hegemony Rome is still af fair distance in the future, and I think it would be best for the game to be released a very good while after Rome II, so Hegemony Rome, won't be ignored by gamers/reviewers because their attention is fixed at Rome II.

It's a shame you could not have released Hegemony Rome two or three months before the release of Rome II, because that would almost surely had given you some extra sales - now I just hope you will wait with the release of Hegemony untill Rome II has settled down, so Hegemony Rome will have a fair chance of getting some attention.

Looking forward to playing your game!

Level 5 Human gamer
Posted on July 16, 2013 at 7:53 pm

IMO, the best time to release Hegemony Rome will be when interest in gaming the Roman era is at its height. So releasing in the "shadow" of Total War might not be such a bad idea.

The sooner the better though for me. I have little interest in the TW franchise, but Hegemony is a must-buy.

Level 7 Human gamer
Alignment: Lawful
Posted on July 17, 2013 at 5:17 am

I would have thought before hand would have been better, cashing in on the hype/interest around Rome 2 and putting something on the market to grab gamers attention while stuck waiting.

Ofc if Rome 2 does well, then there is always the chance people will be hungry for more, either way could work I suppose.

Only danger would be if R2TW releases in the same state Empire did, could do some harm despite being two different devs.

Level 7 Human gamer
Posted on July 17, 2013 at 12:17 pm

IMO, the best time to release Hegemony Rome will be when interest in gaming the Roman era is at its height. So releasing in the "shadow" of Total War might not be such a bad idea.

The sooner the better though for me. I have little interest in the TW franchise, but Hegemony is a must-buy.

If they release in the shadow of Rome 2, most RTS gamers won't have time to play Hegemony, because they will be playing Rome 2. Im a big fan of Hegemony Gold, and im looking forward to Hegemony Rome - but Rome 2 total war will be what im gaming for a long time after it's released, and most other RTS gamers who play and like TW games, put hundreds of hours into each TW game. That is why it's dangerous to release Hegemony Rome in the shadow of Rome 2 - people won't play it (including me, who love hegemony) untill they feel they got enough from Rome 2 Total War.

If Longbow release Hegemony Rome when we are waiting for the first Rome 2 expansion on the other hand - we will be starved for some action, and have time available to put into Hegemony Rome - but that will probably be at least half a year after the release of Rome 2.

I just wish the best for Longbow games and I hope they will continue producing Hegemony games for many years to come - but imo it's imperative to release the next iteration, when the market want's it, and not when the market is allready saturated (with Rome 2).

Level 8 Human Truffle Farmer
Alignment: Good
Posted on July 18, 2013 at 10:12 pm

when the market want's it

'When you want it' I think you mean. How about we let the guys and girls do their job and write the code. When they are finished they can release it. This is how games should be done. None of this, "release now to get the market, oh it's not finished, no matter there is the internet and we can always patch it later."

As frustrated by waiting as I am, I still understand that Longbow Games are writing a massive chunk of code here and if they need the time to finish it I'd much rather they take that time. I'm buying their game for the quality they promise and the quality I saw in the first Hegemony. If they fail to provide that quality then they risk losing a customer.

Finally, they are two different games. I know I won't be buying CA's Rome2. The game quality has gone down and down since Rome 1 and shogun2 was not at all interesting for me. It takes all kinds in this world Mr Wali and if you won't be buying Hegemony unless they release it 'right now' then that is rather unfortunate but thankfully not the end of the Hegemony.

Level 7 Human gamer
Posted on July 19, 2013 at 12:24 pm

when the market want's it

'When you want it' I think you mean. How about we let the guys and girls do their job and write the code. When they are finished they can release it. This is how games should be done. None of this, "release now to get the market, oh it's not finished, no matter there is the internet and we can always patch it later."

As frustrated by waiting as I am, I still understand that Longbow Games are writing a massive chunk of code here and if they need the time to finish it I'd much rather they take that time. I'm buying their game for the quality they promise and the quality I saw in the first Hegemony. If they fail to provide that quality then they risk losing a customer.

Finally, they are two different games. I know I won't be buying CA's Rome2. The game quality has gone down and down since Rome 1 and shogun2 was not at all interesting for me. It takes all kinds in this world Mr Wali and if you won't be buying Hegemony unless they release it 'right now' then that is rather unfortunate but thankfully not the end of the Hegemony.

I don't think you understood what I wrote. I don't want the game released untill it's finished either, what im saying is, that if longbowgames want attention for Hegemony Rome, they should not release it too close to the release of Rome II, so as not to risk being ignored/be left in the shadow of Rome 2.

And if they actually do release Hegemony Rome right next to rome II and the game fail to get any publicity and sales, then that could very well be the end of Hegemony - Longbow games need to make sales in order to get a pay check, just like everybody else

Level 5 Human gamer
Posted on July 19, 2013 at 1:04 pm

Too bad Steam doesn't have an "Also-Bought" mechanism ala Amazon. Then every time somebody looked at Rome II, he'd see Hegemony. That's how I shop for books. I'd love something like that for games on Steam too. (In this case, you'd definitely want to have your game available during the hey-day of some big similar title--if you can manage to get a prominent spot on the list to begin with, no doubt a big "if.")

Level 6 Human gamer
Alignment: Lawful good
Posted on July 27, 2013 at 4:29 am

i just hope it is Released soon.

Level 7 Human Test Dummy (MK III)
Posted on July 31, 2013 at 5:43 pm

I lost interest in the total war series when they released napoleon. so i'm going to get hegemony rome regardless and recommend it to my friends.

Level 7 Human gamer
Posted on September 14, 2013 at 10:42 am

I lost interest in the total war series when they released napoleon. so i'm going to get hegemony rome regardless and recommend it to my friends.

I will be getting it regardless as well, I was talking about trying to get as wide an audience as possible for Longbow, but now that Rome II tanked pretty hard - it should be a lot easier for longbow to get attention, because many gamers are looking for a Rome fix, and EB II has not released yet (Medieval II mod).

Level 5 Human gamer
Posted on November 21, 2013 at 9:48 pm

Paradox is announcing two new games in January as well and their Rome 2 is a likely candidate. It will be a very different kind of strategy game from Hegemony Rome though, hopefully something along the lines of Crusader Kings II. Nothing really certain about that yet though.

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on December 2, 2013 at 4:40 pm

Ominous news - it appears CA is going to try stealing Hegemony's thunder to make up for the disastrous launch:

http://forums.totalwar.com/showthread.php/113376-Caesar-in-Gaul-Expansion-Campaign-Pack-for-Total-War-ROME-II?p=980217#post980217

Hopefully it only ends up popularizing the Gallic wars, and ends up helping Hegemony.

Level 7 Human gamer
Posted on December 2, 2013 at 10:03 pm

That does sound like a bit of a blatant idea steal imo.

Level 8 Human professional ruffian
Posted on December 3, 2013 at 5:53 pm

Regardless of whether or not it is a blatant "ideal steal" as you call it, it is wrong that they are plopping out this DLC on a base game that still isn't fixed in quite a few ways. But then again this is CA/Sega were dealing with its not they have any integrity or honor.

Level 7 Human gamer
Posted on December 3, 2013 at 7:43 pm

I would have mentioned the poor quality of the base game but tbh I've just gotten sick of it. No more will CA see any of my money and I can't touch the game again.

Level 5 Human gamer
Posted on December 4, 2013 at 8:55 am

I think CA releasing their Roman efforts will only do Hegemony good. There's a "Roman Hype" going on right now which will spill over to Hegemony, and for those who are disappointed in CA's game, providing alternatives is great. Indeed, those who are pleased with Rome 2 Total War will also get some fun out of Hegemony. Hegemony Rome is launched at exactly the right time, the stars are aligned and I think there's a tremendous market. Let's hope it's going to be Longbow's real breakthrough.

Level 8 Human professional ruffian
Posted on December 7, 2013 at 4:44 pm

I think CA releasing their Roman efforts will only do Hegemony good. There's a "Roman Hype" going on right now which will spill over to Hegemony, and for those who are disappointed in CA's game, providing alternatives is great. Indeed, those who are pleased with Rome 2 Total War will also get some fun out of Hegemony. Hegemony Rome is launched at exactly the right time, the stars are aligned and I think there's a tremendous market. Let's hope it's going to be Longbow's real breakthrough.

Agreed....
I have been trying to spread the word to all my dissastisfied steam friends as well as friends at TWC about Rome Hegemony.