Skip navigation

Error opening Hegemony Gold

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Longbow Support > Error opening Hegemony Gold
Level 5 Human gamer
Alignment: Good
Posted on July 15, 2013 at 9:12 pm

A couple of days ago I downloaded Hegemony Gold via Kalypso Media on the laptop of my wife. I downloaded an exe-file and a bin-file (plus the manual) and wrote down the registration key. As I'm only able to use that laptop for short periods I want to play hegemony on my desktop pc but first wanted to install it on the laptop to see if the installation would be ok (first time I download a full game instead from cd). This seemed to work fine so I copied those installation files to my desktop pc which is not connected to the internet! (Want to keep my pc clean and 'fast'.)
The installation worked fine and was completed. BUT the problem started when I wanted to play Hegemony. Upon clicking the icon I get the normal initial screen and so can chose to play. But then I get this error:
"Hegemony failed initialization and was unable to open.
If problems persist, contact LDA Tech Support.
Reason: AppData.exe is not signed."
Don't know what went wrong and don't know what to do to solve the problem.
Anybody here who can help me tackling this problem?
Many thanks in advance!

Level 13 Extraplanar Programmer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on July 17, 2013 at 10:32 pm

Hi Freskin,

Sorry about the bug. Over the last year I've only received three bug reports regarding this error message, and I've never received any follow-ups, so I'm not sure what the problem is yet, but with your help, I'll do everything I can to fix it.

Try going to the directory where the game is installed, which should be "C:\Program Files (x86)\Longbow Games\Hegemony Gold" and double-clicking on "Hegemony Gold.exe" to see if it works when you run it directly.

(Your Program Files folder might be hidden. In order to see it, follow the instructions here.)

You should also see a program called "AppData.exe" in the same folder. If you right-click on that and choose "Properties", it should bring up a new window. If you click on the 'Digital Signitures' tab, you should see a signature from 'Kalypso Media', and when you double-click on it, it should bring up a window that says "This digital signature is OK." Do you see that on your end?

Sorry for the inconvenience; I'll make sure we get this sorted out. Be sure to report back with your findings.

Level 5 Human gamer
Posted on July 18, 2013 at 7:57 am

Thanks Rick for your help!
I will check the two files you posted this evening (GMT+1) and will surely report back (until it's sorted out + follow-up).
Greetings,
Freskin

Level 5 Human gamer
Posted on July 18, 2013 at 8:57 pm

Hey Rick,

If I double-click on "Hegemony Gold.exe" in the directory of Hegemony than I immediately get the pop-up screen with the same error message I wrote down in my first post. Alas!

If I look in the Digital Signatures tab than I indeed see the signer information for Kalypso media (e-mail not available) BUT I don't have the message you expect. INSTEAD the signature reads: "The certificate in the signature cannot be verified". Is that because I'm not connected to the internet? I say this because if I do the same search on the laptop on which I installed first I do have "This digital signature is ok".

Another question: on the laptop the program automaticaly said there was an update available and I could update Hegemony to 1.5.7 directly. Can I download the update-file and copy it to my deskto pc?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Greetings,

Freskin

Posted on July 23, 2013 at 8:23 am

I'm having a hell of a time trying to reproduce this.

I think the problem is that you have a copy of Windows which:
A) Is old; perhaps older than 2006 (ie Windows XP), and
B) Has never been connected to the Internet.

Because of this, your computer is missing an important Verisign root certificate, which is what Windows uses to verify files like this. (Because of how important this file is, Windows won't even let me delete it, which is why it's been so difficult for me to test.)

Probably the best solution is to connect you computer to the internet temporarily, and catch up on your Windows updates. After that you can take it offline again. Be sure you only install the required updates, because the optional updates often include a lot of chaff.

If you don't want to update everything, just get this update (I'm assuming you have Windows XP.)

As far as updating Hegemony goes, I'm not sure how easy it would be to update from the Kalypso updater when you're not online. The easier solution would be to download the demo off of our site and just install it over your installed copy; it should upgrade fine that way.

Level 5 Human gamer
Posted on July 23, 2013 at 11:46 am

Thanks Rick for putting so much of your time and energy into this problem.

I'm using an 'old' pc I got from my work. After 3 years they're written off and replaced, so now the pc is around 4 years old.
It has Windows 7 installed on it and until a year ago it was connected to the Internet and updated regularly.

Because I was a bit impatient and being a computer nitwit I thought copying the AppData.exe file (with the "This digital signature is ok") from the laptop. I copied to a memory stick and file was still ok but once transferred to the pc the AppData.exe stated "The certificate in the signature cannot be verified". Alas! Is this due to this Verisign root cerficate? Can I somehow check if this Verisign root certificate is present on my pc?

Maybe, as you stated, it would be best to connect for a short while the pc to the internet to see if this allows the signature to be verified AND to do the update of Hegemony. I'll try it this evening.

PS: Something comes to my mind. I'm still using that pc with my personal log-in from work and NOT as an administrator (nonetheless I already installed other games and software successfully on this pc, from disk)...

Level 5 Human gamer
Posted on July 23, 2013 at 8:31 pm

Hey Rick!
Sorry that you spent your time trying to solve this issue but I don't think my problem is/was a bug!
Could it be a DRM issue?
I connected my pc to the internet and tried again to open Hegemony Gold via the desktop shortcut. This time I didn't have this error message but a pop up screen from Kalypso asking me to fill in my registration name and password (which I had already from installing on laptop). When logged in it proposed to update my version of Hegemony, which I did. After the update I could play Hegemony! Hurray!
After posting this message I will disconnect and try again to play. Hopefully and normally this should be ok because I could also play with disconnected laptop...
Again sorry if you feel like you wasted your time to solve this problem. Never had this problem before when installing games on my pc but, like I stated in an earlier post, it was first time I downloaded a full game. Still, I'm a bit disappointed that I could not, without problems, install a game I bought on another pc like I'm used to with games on disks.
Let me end with thanking you for your time and helpfulness!

Posted on July 24, 2013 at 3:59 am

Hi Freskin,

I'm glad you got it sorted. I believe Windows is able to download the root certificate if it's missing, so this is probably why it worked while you were connected.

I'm assured by Kalypso that you shouldn't need to be connected to the Internet to play, so you'll be fine disconnecting now.

Sorry about the hassle.