Skip navigation

Rome Dev Blogs & New Screenshot!

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > News > Rome Dev Blogs & New Screenshot!
Level 17 Extraplanar gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on July 9, 2013 at 9:11 pm
Tagged: hegemonyrome devblog screenshot

Whew! It feels like it's been forever since the last time we've posted about Rome. We've been deep in development over the last year and, now that we're taking a little time to come up for air, we're eager to talk about what we've been doing and what you can expect in the final game.

So starting today, we're going to start posting new stuff on a regular basis (roughly weekly, give or take interruptions from development). Some posts, like this one, may be light on content, but we'll always try to at least get you a new screenshot.

Let me say that again more directly: there's a new screenshot at the bottom of this post!

In addition, we also have a lot of ideas – thanks in part to suggestions you've posted on the forums – on topics we can discuss in greater detail, including some new gameplay features, the history behind the game, and the process behind some of the game's art assets, and with the next time we'll post the first such article, along with another new screenshot. If there's anything in particular you'd like to hear about, be sure to let us know in the comments!

Until next week, here are links to a few articles and videos we did on Rome before our self-imposed isolation, and don't forget to click the thumbnail at the bottom for a full HD glimpse at the new Briton faction!!

Electric Playground Sneak Preview

Interview with Game Reactor

Concept of Caricature

History vs Gameplay

Logistics in Hegemony

Introducing Hegemony Rome

Interview with Strategy Informer

Level 6 Human God, Writer, Amateur Roman historian/Greek (Ish)
Alignment: Evil
Posted on July 10, 2013 at 4:59 am

I absolutely cannot wait for this game!! I am going to post some of your screenshots up on 'The Romans' facebook page to hopefully get you some more people interested in your game because it is amazing. Loved Philip II campaign and I am sure the Caesar one will be even better....You guys are going to receive a heck load of cookies from moi :)

Congrats sirs!

Also just wondering:
Will Publius Cornelius Sulla (A relative of the famed Dictator.) Be making an appearance as a general on Caesar's side? He was in command of the right On Caesar's army at Pharsalus and consul in 66BC

Regards, moi :)

Level 8 Human Truffle Farmer
Alignment: Good
Posted on July 10, 2013 at 5:51 am

Oh hell yes. Countdown to release. I have been checking these forums and am very glad to hear that you guys are moving towards the final phases. I know words are meaningless but you have yourselves a sale in me. All you need to do is get it to market.

Good luck you crazy Canadians!

Level 14 Extraplanar Programmer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on July 10, 2013 at 8:27 am

Will Publius Cornelius Sulla (A relative of the famed Dictator.) Be making an appearance as a general on Caesar's side? He was in command of the right On Caesar's army at Pharsalus and consul in 66BC
Unfortunately, while he was definitely part of Caesar's army during the civil war, Caesar makes no mention of him during the Gallic wars. However, it would be fairly trivial to mod him in if you wanted to play him.

Level 8 Human gamer
Alignment: Lawful
Posted on July 10, 2013 at 4:11 pm

Those poor britons have no chance.

Great to see the game "in action" though, also great to see large troop numbers.

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on July 10, 2013 at 11:58 pm

Unfortunately, while he was definitely part of Caesar's army during the civil war, Caesar makes no mention of him during the Gallic wars. However, it would be fairly trivial to mod him in if you wanted to play him.

Hehe well Caesar hardly mentions anyone except himself and those that he either saved or defeated :-) But Not trying to argue on Sulla in particular.

Level 6 Human God, Writer, Amateur Roman historian/Greek (Ish)
Alignment: Evil
Posted on July 11, 2013 at 4:32 am

Thank you for the reply! I will sure have to learn how to mod him in then and see him be my ultimate general.

In terms of cities and just the sheer size of the map, is the Rome Hegemony going to be the same size, smaller or bigger than the Greek map?
I thought the Philip campaign was epic in terms of size, will the Caesar campaign also be as large?

Sorry for all the questions, I am simply buzzing!

Level 17 Extraplanar gamer
Posted on July 11, 2013 at 5:43 am

I will sure have to learn how to mod him in then and see him be my ultimate general.

Sulla will also likely be in the name list for Roman generals in the sandbox, so you might luck into him without modding. We're also planning on allowing players to rename certain units and cities so there are likely multiple ways you could do it.

In terms of cities and just the sheer size of the map, is the Rome Hegemony going to be the same size, smaller or bigger than the Greek map?

In terms of real world map size, the Rome map is actually extremely close to the size of the map in the original game: about 1000km x 1000km. In practice it will probably feel a little bigger because there is less water and units in Rome are about 2/3rds the size they were in Gold relative to the map.

While we will still have scenarios that cover the entire map for the most ambitious players, we're also going to include scenarios that only use a subset of the map like just Britain, Belgica, etc for those who want a smaller scale game.