Skip navigation

Rome Dev Blog Ideas

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > Rome Dev Blog Ideas
Level 17 Extraplanar gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on June 21, 2013 at 8:44 pm

As I mentioned in one or two of the other threads, we're looking into doing some sort of regular dev blog on Rome and I thought I'd give you guys a chance to suggest ideas you'd like us to cover. We hoping to draw from a range of topics including history, gameplay, programming and art, but if there's something in particular, like siegecraft, the new upgrade mechanics or how we handle a specific battle, let us know and we'll try to make sure it's covered.

cheers

Level 7 Human gamer
Alignment: Lawful good
Posted on June 21, 2013 at 10:22 pm

I think if you liked to post some story/campaign related things (and yes - contrary to some RPGames - Hegemony has a story), you should try to integrate a spoiler function. Everything else, from showing some new features or pictures of the new map to explaining how you integrated historical events or why you had to be ... a little bit creative regarding the historical accuracy/authenticity: I would happily read/watch everything that gives some information about your current work and/or the game itself. But please not too much or too much at a time... I mean, eventually we're all happier with less updates and a sooner release.
Furthermore some sort of routine seems to help a lot, too. I know that the "once a week at a given time I tell the community all I have noticed on my little block" method (also called the info-rush method ;-) ) works well for a friend of mine with a number of watchers of nearly the same size as I suppose this community here has.

Posted on June 24, 2013 at 6:22 pm

Thanks for the ideas. We'll keep the spoiler thing in mind - obviously, all the major events come from documented history, but in trying to portray a more complete picture of Caesar we are getting into events that the average player is probably not familiar with.

I'll leave it to Rick (who's been designing the campaigns) whether he wants to get into the narrative, but as far as campaign blogs I was thinking more about highlighting a few specific battles and show how we've interpreted them within the Hegemony engine.

Don't worry about this interfering with release dates. We're scheduling things to make sure we can make the best game possible rather than to hit an arbitrary deadline and part of that process is communicating more with you guys as we polish things up.

We are hoping to make this a regular thing. The reason I'm fishing around for ideas is to make sure we've got enough content to carry us through until we're ready to get back into doing some videos and eventually a beta.

Out of curiosity, if we were to post weekly, what day of the week would work better for you guys? Do people read more online during the week or on weekends?

Level 6 Human gamer
Posted on June 24, 2013 at 10:03 pm

Let's be honest here, I dream about Hegemony Rome. I often find myself thinking: "Man, I wonder what's happening with Rome." This is the game I am most looking forward to. And the lack of updates sometimes scares me. So it would be really great to see developer updates.

I think I tend to read more on weekends.

Level 8 Human gamer
Alignment: Lawful
Posted on June 24, 2013 at 10:25 pm

I have a daily ritual of checking through various sites in the morning and at night, so for me it wouldn't really matter which day.

Level 7 Human Misanthropic Aficionado
Alignment: Chaotic
Posted on June 25, 2013 at 1:47 am

My two cents, my excitement level for Hegemony Rome really went up when I had the chance to read the thread that was recently bumped (I believe the name was something like "Any News?". Your discussion of the upgrade system and diplomacy changes has made this game my most anticipated title for this fall.(Hopefully?)

Any more news on those new, expanded gameplay features would be my topic for a Dev Blog (especially confirmation if they're still on track to be implemented in the final cut).

My forum viewing varies from a quick peek once a day to a few weeks out so I can't personally recommend an ideal posting time. Selfishly I would vote for Thursday afternoon Eastern Central US time since that's the only day I don't have to look forward to some kind of weekly podcast or online publication.

As always, thank you for the sincerity to reach out directly to your eagerly waiting fans.

Level 9 Human gamer
Posted on June 25, 2013 at 2:32 am

I check here more often than I should lol. The day and time doesn't matter to me.

What I'd be most interested in is seeing factions highlighted. Like which tribes will I end up fighting, and what are their key units and tactics?

But I'd be happy to see any kind of content.

Posted on June 25, 2013 at 8:05 pm

Thanks for the feedback.

I'd left diplomacy off my list so far because there are still a number of things to resolve, but it is one of the larger changes and would make a good post. I'll probably put it on the bottom of the pile along with a post on "modding" in the hopes we'll have the details sorted out by the time we get there.

I hadn't thought about a separate "factions" post but it probably justifies one on its own. As in the original games, what makes a faction unique to play is as much about its geography as its unit list, but we do have "faction groups" (Roman, Briton, Gaul & German) in Rome that control what units and upgrades are available and we can get into those in more detail.

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on June 27, 2013 at 2:22 am

Would be very interesting if the sandbox mode would allow us to play off Marius vs Sulla, or Caesar vs Pompey.

How about a scenario where we can take command of Crassus army and attempt to rewrite the history of Carrhae?

So many interesting possibilities within the late Republic and early Imperial era. Longbow could probably keep Rome going for a long time with story/campaign DLC/expansions.

Level 7 Human gamer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on June 27, 2013 at 3:07 am

Would be very interesting if the sandbox mode would allow us to play off Marius vs Sulla, or Caesar vs Pompey.

How about a scenario where we can take command of Crassus army and attempt to rewrite the history of Carrhae?

So many interesting possibilities within the late Republic and early Imperial era. Longbow could probably keep Rome going for a long time with story/campaign DLC/expansions.

You mean like Rome Total War's Historical battles? That be sweet.

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on June 27, 2013 at 8:53 pm

Yup pretty much the Hegemony version of those, some single battles, maybe some mini campaigns, or as said even full on expansions. Don't know about the rest of the folks here but I'd happily throw some extra money Longbows way for that type of content post release.

Level 8 Human Warchanter
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on July 1, 2013 at 8:45 am

One on each major feature, even not new ones.

Logistics, diplomacy, the map, faction groups etc

ATPG, is that you? From the .org? :O

Level 9 Human gamer
Posted on July 2, 2013 at 2:53 pm

That's funny, I was going to ask you the same thing pevergreen. :D (Yes, it's ATPG from the .org.)

Posted on July 2, 2013 at 7:19 pm

Right now we're focused entirely on doing the best job we can on the Gallic Wars, but we do have some ideas for extra content we could do down the road. Likely we'd still focus on short campaigns rather than single battles since I think that's where Hegemony's strengths lay. However, all of the scripting for Rome is accessible for modding, and we're hoping to release the map editor once we can clean it up, so hopefully it should be easy for you guys to add any custom battles you want.

Level 9 Human gamer
Posted on July 4, 2013 at 12:41 am

"but as far as campaign blogs I was thinking more about highlighting a few specific battles and show how we've interpreted them within the Hegemony engine."
Well I'm not sure if this next question will please you but it came up after reading your line - I think I recall from reading on topic of this war that later in the campaign German incursions become very prominent, and that they employed battle tactics where they relied on horses to get close to enemy, dismount and then fall back on horses if they needed to retreat, and also that they had extremely well trained fast infantrymen that could keep up with riders. I am not really sure if this would work with Hegemony style though and not sure if that part of wars is even in scope, so I won't feel disappointed if the answer will be this won't be reflected - it just came up after reading your post.
As for updates frequency - whatever works for you guys is fine with me. I know that your team is small so maybe you can use creating some update when you'll need to think about something in detail where you would need/helps to write it down anyway (and it would be useable as update).

Level 9 Human gamer
Posted on July 4, 2013 at 12:47 am

Lol maybe the "battle" of the civil war they had somewhere in Greece where they kept fortifying and counterfortifying until they almost died of old age... well not exactly but weeks worth of that stuff for sure.
(No I don't mean this seriously).

Level 7 Human Misanthropic Aficionado
Alignment: Chaotic
Posted on July 4, 2013 at 4:39 pm

I think I recall from reading on topic of this war that later in the campaign German incursions become very prominent, and that they employed battle tactics where they relied on horses to get close to enemy, dismount and then fall back on horses if they needed to retreat, and also that they had extremely well trained fast infantrymen that could keep up with riders. I am not really sure if this would work with Hegemony style though and not sure if that part of wars is even in scope, so I won't feel disappointed if the answer will be this won't be reflected - it just came up after reading your post.
As for updates frequency - whatever works for you guys is fine with me. I know that your team is small so maybe you can use creating some update when you'll need to think about something in detail where you would need/helps to write it down anyway (and it would be useable as update).
I've never personally read anything about the Germanic tribes fighting that way but what you're describing sounds exactly like how the Britannians used chariots. If chariots have made it into the game I don't imagine they would feature this way though because it wouldn't really change their functionality. Keeping them on the chariot when they engage would just as easily simulate the quick and decisive shock attack that they could deliver historically.
Although, designing them that way would really just make them no different from other cavalry units. If they are in the game it might be better to design them as an overland troop transport that can carry one unit each (similar to ships). It may have some melee capability so it can fend for itself if harassed by enemy cavalry and perhaps even a missile attack to further distinguish it from those units. Historically this would reflect the fighting style of the Britannians while adding a tactical option to both transport and combat. This is all speculation of course, but it leads me to suggest a developer blog about the scope of unit types being implemented in Hegemony Rome.

Level 6 Human gamer
Posted on July 6, 2013 at 3:17 pm

Absolutely! I really hope Rome gets several DLC/Expansion campaigns.

Level 9 Human gamer
Posted on July 10, 2013 at 6:38 pm

I've never personally read anything about the Germanic tribes fighting that way but what you're describing sounds exactly like how the Britannians used chariots. If chariots have made it into the game I don't imagine they would feature this way though because it wouldn't really change their functionality. Keeping them on the chariot when they engage would just as easily simulate the quick and decisive shock attack that they could deliver historically.
Although, designing them that way would really just make them no different from other cavalry units. If they are in the game it might be better to design them as an overland troop transport that can carry one unit each (similar to ships). It may have some melee capability so it can fend for itself if harassed by enemy cavalry and perhaps even a missile attack to further distinguish it from those units. Historically this would reflect the fighting style of the Britannians while adding a tactical option to both transport and combat. This is all speculation of course, but it leads me to suggest a developer blog about the scope of unit types being implemented in Hegemony Rome.

So I searched quickly. You can find some info on this in Commentaries on the Gallic War, book four, in section two about Suebi, although I think there is more elsewhere in the book (but don't feel like looking for it now). I cannot completely rule out that I could be mixing it with something else.