Skip navigation

Is ROME vaporware?

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > Is ROME vaporware?
Pages 1 2
Level 7 Human gamer
Alignment: Lawful good
Posted on June 4, 2013 at 12:09 pm

Perhaps he also only wants to say that the games he has already purchased are still worth playing, but he does not feel like purchasing new ones where there's for example DRM or something like that.

Level 7 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on June 4, 2013 at 6:05 pm

@Zakath

Be careful there with the innuendo. I don't take kindly to insults or self-righteousness. Ever hear of gifts and borrowing from a buddy? You should revisit your study of those concepts as they are very prevalent in society.

Level 9 Human Evil Overlord
Alignment: Chaotic evil
Posted on June 4, 2013 at 9:14 pm

Oh come on Zakath and justai_meai, don't ruin this forum with stuff like that.

Level 9 Human gamer
Posted on June 5, 2013 at 12:04 am

Mhm, publisher. Well, I guess we can judge if it was good thing once we see the final game...
However, I suppose this pretty much means that there won't be early beta for preorders... right?
BTW, current waiting - could it have something to do with upcoming info on rome 2 total war campaign?

Level 17 Extraplanar gamer
Posted on June 7, 2013 at 3:32 pm

However, I suppose this pretty much means that there won't be early beta for preorders... right?

We're definitely still doing some sort of beta program for Rome. The process was invaluable for balancing Gold and I think the game was clearly much better for it. The only questions now are how we're going to organize it (open/closed, through pre-orders, steam, etc) and when it might start. For Gold, we released the first "preview" version quite early in the process because we were a little uncertain about the magnitude of the changes and wanted to get feedback before we went too far. In the case of Rome we're quite confident in the design, but could really use some help testing the balance and playability across all of the sandbox modes and campaigns so the "beta" will come closer to release.

Regarding the other topic of this thread ... with E3 coming up shortly we had been looking into finally making the "official" announcement for Rome this week. However, when we started working out the plans with our partner, we realized that once we start the PR ball rolling we're going to need to keep feeding it with material and right now that's just too much of a distraction to development.

So, unfortunately that means we're still not going to have any major news for a little while. That said, we really appreciate the community's patience and support and so we've been discussing with our partner what we can do for you guys that won't interfere with a more official PR campaign. They're really keen on supporting the community as well and we've been discussing some ideas like dev blogs or AMAs. If you've got any ideas on what you'd like to see let us know, and hopefully we will have some new info soon.

Level 8 Human gamer
Alignment: Lawful
Posted on June 7, 2013 at 4:56 pm

If you've got any ideas on what you'd like to see let us know, and hopefully we will have some new info soon.

Let us throw money at you for a Beta? :)

If still impossible at this point in time, dev blogs would go a long way. Even if only weekly would be great to see how things are shaping up etc. Throw in a screenshot teaser, stuff like that.

Obviously champing at the bit for Rome, so anything better than having to drag you folks away from coding to post here all the time.

Level 7 Human gamer
Alignment: Good
Posted on June 10, 2013 at 12:25 am

A dev diary would be nice. Personally I've no patience for AMAs and stuff that you need to "follow" or sift through.

Level 7 Human Misanthropic Aficionado
Alignment: Chaotic
Posted on June 16, 2013 at 9:45 pm

And oh yes, you will be able to burn cities to the ground and rebuild them if you like.
Not to veer off the topic of the thread but are there any details you can give us of this feature? Playing Hegemony Gold I often wished there was a feature to sack conquered cities. It just wasn't that satisfying to conquer Sardis and realize that the most extreme vengeance I could inflict upon the Persians was tearing down their walls. Given the way money works in the game as a in-use/available ratio it probably would be broken to permanently add to the player's wealth for sacking a city, but leading the population of the city away as slaves would provide a useful asset as well as an extra element to scorched earth tactics. I'm curious to hear if this is still planned for the final release of the game and how Longbow has designed the feature to fit in with other game mechanics.

Level 17 Extraplanar gamer
Posted on June 20, 2013 at 9:10 pm

We do have a sacking system in place that lets you seriously debuff a city once you capture it similar to how you burn farms in the original game. This will destroy all of its upgrades, resources and stop its recruit and income production for a set period of time.

We haven't tested this feature very thoroughly in the sandbox yet, so I can't guarantee it will stay exactly like this but generally it is something we want to include both for consistency (all buildings can be "raided" now in Rome) and to reduce management of captured assets.

Level 7 Human Misanthropic Aficionado
Posted on June 25, 2013 at 1:53 am

Thank you, I appreciate the update.

Level 9 Human Truffle Farmer
Alignment: Good
Posted on June 25, 2013 at 11:20 am

Ohh, I still play Paradox games, but I no longer purchase them.

Don't worry, it's ok. The rest of us still carry your dead weight by paying for our games. You have no need to fear that the developers will go out of business and put your piracy to an end while the rest of us are here to keep things moving along.

In the mean time, maybe you are better off rewarding developers who create DRM free games by actually buying them if you feel like playing them.

Level 8 Human Grand Admiral
Posted on July 22, 2013 at 3:51 am

Alot more hate for piracy now then a year or two ago on these forums :/

I don't think anyone is fully comfortable with the idea of simply pirating every single game one wants, and the person upthread who was interpreted as hinting at piracy wasn't either. He has already said he was interpreted wrong, but even if he had remained silent and allowed us to continue to interpret him ourselves it would still result in a situation where he would be saying he only pirates certain publishers, which I don't think is that much of a problem.

People are complaining that piracy hurts devs, obviously they've missed the initial shock expressed earlier to the idea of Longbow having a publisher - publishers tend to hurt devs far more then any sales shortfall, because they usually take all the money anyway.

This is espicially a problem for indie devs, who often can't fight the exploitation.

I'll admit it, I don't buy EA games. EA rushes its devs, has terrible support, and, like Ubisoft lately, seems to be more concerned with adding DRM then with fixing any of the above problems. My solution? The pirate bay.

That being said, there are some companies I fully support. I could have gotten SC2 off of isohut two months after release, but instead I paid the $60 because I respect Blizzard as a dev/publisher/distributer. They could have rushed the game instead of waiting more than a decade to release it, instead they listened to their devs and waited, and as a result the game is obviously complete. Well worth the money, if you're a fan of the genre.

In other cases, I'll simply wait for the game to go down to $10-20 and get it on Steam then.

People just need to understand that, in most cases, the devs are not making anything compared to whoever you are buying their product from. In such cases, turning the game into freeware helps them - it gets the word around about the quality of their products, while not making them feel like staying with their "mutual partners" is the only way for them to do what they love.

I research and contemplate each game I want to acquire, with those things in mind. Ironically, if everyone did that, no one would have to - abusive publishers like EA would never make a sale, and thus would not exist.

The consumers decide what kind of companies they want.

Level 14 Extraplanar Programmer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on July 23, 2013 at 4:34 am

I'll admit it, I don't buy EA games.

My solution? The pirate bay.

turning the game into freeware helps them - it gets the word around about the quality of their products

The consumers decide what kind of companies they want.

I just wanted to point out that these statements are contradictory.

It's true that there's a certain amount of social currency to be gained by giving away free copies of your game. Most games, at the very least, will give out free copies to press. Some games do free weekends, and other games have embraced the free-to-play model. I also earnestly believe that piracy may have inadvertently helped some — not all; not even most — developers. Game Dev Tycoon is a great example of a game that used piracy to get the word out.

But if you believe that piracy can sometimes be helpful, then you also have to admit that you may still be supporting EA's behaviour, even if you only ever pirate their games.

If you truly want to send EA a message, what you need to do is stop playing their games. When you pirate their games, you do two things. First, if you like the game, you're likely to convince somebody else that the game is worth buying via word of mouth, which means you're still indirectly putting money in their pockets. Second, you're giving EA statistics that support their narrative of a large audience of pirates, all willing to buy the game if only they had better DRM.

In short, buying a game is the best way to support developers, and not playing a game is the best way to encourage developers to change their ways. Piracy does a poor job of supporting developers, and also does a poor job of punishing them.

And by the way, I practice what I preach. I had fully intended to buy SimCity, but I was turned off by the DRM. Now, whenever the subject of SimCity comes up, I say "Yeah, I haven't played it. I don't approve of their DRM." If you justify piracy by saying "well I never would have bought it anyway", then you should have no problem going without.

Pages 1 2