Skip navigation

Changing stats

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > Changing stats
Level 5 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on April 9, 2013 at 4:07 pm

where would I find the files to to change stats for the hoplite units? I want to tone down the theban hoplites for the peloponnesian war campaigns, also I would like to add a point to athenian hoplites on their engineering stat. are these things possible? Also can I change the general's stats as well? I don't like that some are all 5's.

Level 6 Human gamer
Alignment: Lawful good
Posted on April 9, 2013 at 5:58 pm

[HG directory]\Resources\Data\globals.xnt.

The units section should be totally clear, I think... Only thing to note here: Skills reach from 0-4 in code, not 1-5.

Level 5 Human gamer
Posted on April 10, 2013 at 11:03 pm

thanks. I have to find a program to edit the file. unfortunately though, you can't edit the general's stats from there, and there's no difference between an athenian hoplite and a regular hoplite, but those can be made up for by knocking the ol' thebans back down to normal

Level 6 Human gamer
Alignment: Lawful good
Posted on April 11, 2013 at 3:24 pm

I use CodeEdit although the "CodeEdit" you can find by Google-ing that word is a completely different one and probably has other characteristics.

I've heard a lot of good review from Notepad++ users, though.

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on April 11, 2013 at 9:17 pm

i can vouch for notpad++. it is easy to use and you can do a search. I have no real comparisons so could not tell you if notepad++ is the best or worst out there :).

Level 6 Extraplanar programmer
Alignment: Good
Posted on April 11, 2013 at 10:07 pm

thanks. I have to find a program to edit the file. unfortunately though, you can't edit the general's stats from there, and there's no difference between an athenian hoplite and a regular hoplite, but those can be made up for by knocking the ol' thebans back down to normalYou want Athenian hoplites to be different? It's possible to mod in a new brigade type. It'll be easier in Rome, but it's possible in Gold.

If I may quote one of Rick's posts...
Hey guys,

If you really want to get your hands dirty, I've posted a compressor/decompressor for the entities file. Just download this .exe file, put it in your Entities folder, open a cmd window, and run this command:

BuildArchive entities.arc /X

That will create a "resources" folder, which you can mess with. To recompress, run:

BuildArchive entities.arc /I "resources/" /O "resources/" "entities/*.xnt" "entities/*.ent" "entities/*.inc"

Some things to be careful of:
* This tool might not run on Windows XP.
* You might need to install the VC++ Redistributable for it to run.
* Remember that the Program Files directory is not user-writable by default. If you're not sure how to get around this, then modding probably isn't for you.
* If I recall, the game searches the resources folder for more entity files, so make sure you don't leave the decompressed files sitting around or it might try to read them twice!
This tool opens up a way to, among other things, add new brigades.

The first thing you do is back up your Resources/Data/entities.arc file. Make a copy, put it somewhere. That way, you'll be able to switch back if something goes wrong without reinstalling the entire game.

After decompressing using that tool, you should have a Resources/Entities/Brigades folder. You have to copy/paste "Hoplite Brigade.xnt" and name it "Athenian Hoplite Brigade.xnt". You then have to open it (Notepad++ or even just Notepad will work) and change "<type>hoplitebrigade</type>" to something other than "hoplitebrigade", for example "athenianhoplitebrigade". That's all you have to change in that file, but you can play around with some of the settings if you like.

Then, in globals.xnt, copy the big <brigadeconst type="hoplitebrigade">[DATA REDACTED]</brigadeconst> blocks, change the type to "athenianhoplitebrigade" or whatever you changed it to, and fiddle with the redacted bits to your heart's content.

Then, go to Resources/Entities/Factions and edit "athens.xnt". Find the line that says <brigadeent type="stringlist">brigade, hoplitebrigade</brigadeent> and change it to <brigadeent type="stringlist">brigade, athenianhoplitebrigade</brigadeent>

After you recompress the archives (if you don't none of your changes will take effect), Athens should be building hoplites with the new stats instead of the default ones.

Level 5 Human gamer
Posted on May 3, 2013 at 6:37 pm

Once I figure out how to get the .exe working in cmd prompt, I'll try to make some athenian hoplites then. Thanks a lot for the help