Skip navigation

How do I start TMapper

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Tread Marks > How do I start TMapper
Level 13 Human Unaffiliated Game Maker
Alignment: Chaotic
Posted on August 24, 2005 at 12:26 pm

I can't figure out how to even start TMapper! I have both the Java programmes I need but I can't figure it out!
HELP!!!
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: : :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Level 14 Human Retired
Alignment: Lawful good
Posted on August 24, 2005 at 6:23 pm

Start by using the TMapperBigInstaller.exe - that has all the java and everything else that is needed to run TMapper. Once installed when you start it you have to point to your TM folder where the TM.exe file is stored and then it is ready to go. You just have to point it to the map file you want to work on in either the Addons\Maps folder or the Maps folder in which ever install of TM that you want to work in. I recommend you do not change any maps in the regular TM\Maps folder those are the stock maps that you play on most servers.

Level 14 Human pita
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on August 24, 2005 at 10:46 pm

also go by Dreamers forum. Answers to alot of the questions you may have may be found there. look in the tmapper board.

http://www.tmvr.de/yabbse/

Posted on August 25, 2005 at 4:47 am

Thx this will help alot :D

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on August 25, 2005 at 4:57 pm

Woh.. Sailor, Kong you guys came out of no where... but that is understandable seing you guys are Experts in using Tmapper. :wink: How many maps have you guys made so far?I know its alot.

Posted on August 26, 2005 at 10:43 am

So sorry to ask so many questions guys but I've managed to start TMapper and don't know how to change the hight of the terrain-all I can do is to place trees and towers and stuff. If changing the hight involves using java then I'm really stuck cause I don't know how to start that either!! Sorry but I'm new to this!

Level 14 Human Sr Code Monkey
Location: lost in the evil lands, of soccer-mom piloted minivans....
Posted on August 26, 2005 at 11:15 am

You need to create a 512x512, 1024x1024 or 2048x2048 pixel 24bit grayscale image where white (R:255,G:255,B:255) is maximum height and black (R:0,G:0,B:0) is minimum height, in a paint program. Then import this into TMapper using "File->Import" (IIRC).

1024x1024 is the normal size which you should use. A 2048x2048 needs alot of special care and cannot be used for a MP mode racing map. Nearly all my maps are of this size, so I'm familiar with the ins and outs of creating huge maps. 512x512 is a good size for "close quarters" fighting but gets rediculously cramped with more than a 4 or 5 players.

Posted on August 26, 2005 at 4:44 pm

Wow I just tried that on paint and the result was terible-I think I need something that will do a bit more of the shading for me- otherwise I end up with sheer drops everywhere-gona try paint shop pro soon- thx!!

:roll:

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on August 26, 2005 at 6:03 pm

USE GIMP!!!! ITS FREE!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :twisted:

Posted on August 26, 2005 at 6:06 pm

a neat trick is to run your map through the paint program's gaussian blur. That'll make it nice and smooth. You'll need to experiment a little to get the right amount of blur.

Level 14 Human pita
Posted on August 26, 2005 at 9:17 pm

http://www.qersys.com/index.php?page=heightmaptutorial

a short Gimp heightmap tutorial

Posted on August 27, 2005 at 3:22 pm

Hmmmmm.....I don't wish to sound ungreatful but I would have prefered a normal map editor like the ones found on RTS games. I find this one rather wierd. And a little confusing! :shock:

Posted on August 27, 2005 at 3:30 pm

Nice one kong!
:?
*BOWS*
*KISSES KONGS FEET*
This should help. :roll:

Level 14 Human pita
Posted on August 27, 2005 at 5:16 pm

Geez, with all the questions you been asking lately...somone could build a FAQ :wink:

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on August 27, 2005 at 6:10 pm

http://www.dnxworld.homestead.com/tmhightmaptutorial.html
theres a skybox one on there too.

Level 16 Human gamer
Posted on August 27, 2005 at 8:39 pm

Best to keep this on the TMapper forum.

Posted on August 28, 2005 at 3:24 pm

Well I've only just really started doing alot of editing on TM and I'm not all that good at it. :oops:
Anyway how old are you guys? I don't like to ask but I'm guessing I'm younger than most of you!! 8)

Level 14 Human
Alignment: Good
Posted on September 20, 2005 at 12:12 pm

Since I am the one who produced TMapper, maybe I should clarify a few things for those who don't know the history of the TM community very well:

* When the community first felt the need for custom maps, there was no usable Map editor for TM at all. LDA had hinted at the possibility of polishing and publishing their own tools, but they never had time and programmer(s)==money to spare.
* Admittedly, there was a map editor, but nobody used it and was totally undocumented. (Did charliey write it? noper? I can't remember...)
* I was totally into 3D and VRML (now X3D) at that time - kept trying to create a VRML mod database at the time - so 3D was the way to go. That was when I first started looking into java3d...
* TMapper was my first public java project and is (iirc) well over 10k lines of code (most of them redundant, obsolete or simply rubbish, but at that time, I couldn't do any better). Take that as an explanation for any bugs or strange features you encounter.
* TMapper was never seriously intended to come with terrain editing capabilities - that would have involved a totally different (higher) level of both understanding of 3D graphics and programming. Maybe I could do it now, but it would be a lot more work than I could dedicate to such a project.
* You would probably expect an answer along the lines of "If you can't do it better, stop whining", but I think it a better idea to reply with: That's what you have - if you need a better tool, help building one. A sensible first step might be to learn a useful cross-platform programming language. Collaboration is the major driving force behind community-grown tools.
* By now there are more tutorials for creating heightmaps in paint programs than you can shake a stick at. Just search the internet for any of them (including in your search the terms "seamless" or "tiling") - and off you go.

Posted on September 20, 2005 at 12:33 pm

I always wanted to do a map editor for TM to fit my twisted modding mind( to allow me better control over placement of ents). I wanted to make a trap map, with triggers and such (similar to the firehydrants and mailboxes in my boomstickville map) but exact freehand placement is necessary(I hated having to type in all those coords, thats after days of working the coords out). However I never could get enough information about the map file formats. It would have been written in C# and CsGL (like my tankbuilder app for teamctf).