Skip navigation

What (modern) tools do I need here?

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Tread Marks > What (modern) tools do I need here?
Level 11 Human Writer & Computer Consultant
Alignment: Good
Posted on March 16, 2013 at 2:02 am

Under Linux, wanting to (attempt to) create a tank. Hm. A tank that fires Black Plagues? ::evil::
(Even if it could only fire once every 10 seconds, it'd be doom on anybody close by...and Red Death would be even worse.)

Reason I ask: I cannot acquire (legally, at least!) the tools everyone seems to have used (Lightwave, et al.) so was asking what modern 3D modeling software could read and write LWO files. (I think Blender does, but not sure on that. Anyone?)

Level 12 Human Cyb0rg tank pil0t:|@- ҉҈҉҈҉-§¹Ç--҉҈҉-
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on March 16, 2013 at 10:59 am

Under Linux, wanting to (attempt to) create a tank. Hm. A tank that fires Black Plagues? ::evil::
(Even if it could only fire once every 10 seconds, it'd be doom on anybody close by...and Red Death would be even worse.)

Reason I ask: I cannot acquire (legally, at least!) the tools everyone seems to have used (Lightwave, et al.) so was asking what modern 3D modeling software could read and write LWO files. (I think Blender does, but not sure on that. Anyone?)

blender can, however i personally hate blender with a passion, its UI is absolute TORTURE!!!!

i suggest you look for, lithium unwrapper

i believe killer or harmless once had a download link to it

its the only good free tool i ever used for tread marks

i also recommend google sketch-up if you find a free .skp alt or get the paid version legally or not

the paid version of sketchup has the converter which can import and export in different formats like notorious .3ds

---

unfortuntely you'll face a horrible problem: uv mapping

light wave objects or .lwos have to be UV-MAPPED to make textures fit to parts of the tank

this was the most annoying shit i have EVER had to deal with, its what delayed my completion of soo many mods

i do not know of a free program that can uv-map textures into .bmp files for the tanks

lithium unwrapper can't do that,

it can only make a .luv file to be used with a (texture) BUT CAN NOT BE CREATED FROM A UV-MAP WITH ASSIGNED TEXTURES ON TANK WITH THE PROGRAM

its a dumbass error by many developers and if you or anyone can find a solution to (this) i will become mad with guilt for i can't pay you enough for your help.

Level 13 Human bookkeeper
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on March 22, 2013 at 7:29 am

i think this is it ::
lithium unwrapper

toodles,
harmless
:)

Level 13 Human Sr Code Monkey
Alignment: Chaotic
Location: lost in the evil lands, of soccer-mom piloted minivans....
Posted on July 4, 2013 at 3:07 pm

light wave objects or .lwos have to be UV-MAPPED to make textures fit to parts of the tank

this was the most annoying shit i have EVER had to deal with, its what delayed my completion of soo many mods

i do not know of a free program that can uv-map textures into .bmp files for the tanks

it can only make a .luv file to be used with a (texture) BUT CAN NOT BE CREATED FROM A UV-MAP WITH ASSIGNED TEXTURES ON TANK WITH THE PROGRAM

its a dumbass error by many developers and if you or anyone can find a solution to (this) i will become mad with guilt for i can't pay you enough for your help.

I don't know what you mean, but there is a big piece you are missing.

Lightwave (the source of lwo files) is a very old 3d animation/modelling application which did not use UV texture mapping until well after Treadmarks was released. In effect, UV coordinates simply do not exist in the old format lwo files, nor can the version of lightwave that creates that older file version create UV texture coords.

Later versions of lightwave (as well as other newer programs) handle UV texture mapping directly in the modeller, some even using 'airbrush' style techniques to paint directly on the 3d object. Of course, you have to pay money for these type of features. luv and Version 1 lwo files are considered ancient history, so finding proper conversion applications that run under the current Windows is next to nil.

So, to start from scratch,I created the objects in lightwave's modeller, then using lithunwrap to flatten the wire frame and save the luv and template image file. Then load the template image file into a paint program. That's what my workflow was like and it worked very well.

Happy 4th of July! Do I hear..... Cannons? ;D

Level 12 Human Cyb0rg tank pil0t:|@- ҉҈҉҈҉-§¹Ç--҉҈҉-
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on July 20, 2013 at 2:35 am

I don't know what you mean, but there is a big piece you are missing.

Lightwave (the source of lwo files) is a very old 3d animation/modelling application which did not use UV texture mapping until well after Treadmarks was released. In effect, UV coordinates simply do not exist in the old format lwo files, nor can the version of lightwave that creates that older file version create UV texture coords.

Later versions of lightwave (as well as other newer programs) handle UV texture mapping directly in the modeller, some even using 'airbrush' style techniques to paint directly on the 3d object. Of course, you have to pay money for these type of features. luv and Version 1 lwo files are considered ancient history, so finding proper conversion applications that run under the current Windows is next to nil.

So, to start from scratch,I created the objects in lightwave's modeller, then using lithunwrap to flatten the wire frame and save the luv and template image file. Then load the template image file into a paint program. That's what my workflow was like and it worked very well.

Happy 4th of July! Do I hear..... Cannons? ;D

i know all about the uv-mapping process

you can make uv-maps .luv etc, the issue is creating a texture for these .luvs

contrary to lightwave object files being obsolete,

i have made successful conversions from sketchup .skps and 3d studio files

the only issue is generating a valid (texture file)

Tank5b.bmp ETC

i can and have generated textures, but plain colored textures

however making fully textured graphics is a pain

but after more research, photoshop seems to be a solid solution, but no good freebees unfortuntely

when i actually get time, or interest i will post my modern process of texturing meshes that worked.

my preference is to stay ahead of the game, make new ideas, nothing is impossible

making these from scratch the old way for me is crap

especially when i can make a 100 mb HD tank meshs that work with TM

thanks for the reply, KiLIEr and happy late 4th of july for all...