Skip navigation

Hegemony rome? Why?

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > Hegemony rome? Why?
Level 6 Human Fallen Paladin
Alignment: Lawful evil
Posted on March 6, 2013 at 12:58 am

Why rome? Total war rome 2 is on the way so... I love the hegemony gold and I'll buy the hegemony rome. Thing is, there's isn't a good game with Egypt. Then why not egypt? I think that Rome was a bad choice, want to see hegemony egypt! That's just my opinion, what you guys think? Do you think rome was a good choice? Any more ideas for a real good hegemony? Please share :)

Level 9 Human professional ruffian
Alignment: Lawful good
Posted on March 6, 2013 at 7:14 am

Apples and Oranges sir.....
And i will be buying both.

Level 14 Extraplanar Programmer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on March 6, 2013 at 10:14 am

Ah, what's that line from Lawrence of Arabia? "I think you are one of these desert-loving English." That's okay, I love the desert too. We've talked a lot about Egypt, but it's difficult to make it fit Hegemony's mold, for a couple reasons.

First, the geography is a problem: everything follows the line of the Nile, which would make the map literally one-dimensional. Things are more interesting in the delta, but to represent that you would need to put the Lower Nile and the Upper Nile in a completely different scale, which undermines the giant, seamless map that defines Hegemony.

Second, the goal of a Hegemony game should be, well, hegemony, and it's difficult to find a historical period in Egypt that fits. There's a lot of conflict around Egypt, but there's not really any example of large-scale Egyptian expansion that I'm aware of.

Egypt isn't totally out of the question, but I think it would be a better fit for DLC rather than a full game.

As far as the choice for Rome goes, it's important to note that, although Rome is a very popular setting, most games focus on the Roman conquest of Italy. Hegemony Rome ain't your typical Roman RTS; we're focusing on the Roman conquest of Gaul (modern France/Belgium). In fact, Italy isn't even on the map. This is the campaign that pulled Caesar out of obscurity and proved he was a force to be reckoned with, and yet it's largely ignored by most games. I think you'll like it :)

Posted on March 7, 2013 at 6:52 am

A DLC isn't a bad idea, actualy it's a very good one :) Well it seems hegemony rome won't be like i was expecting and that's good. I'm looking foward to support the hegemony franchise.

Level 9 Human gamer
Alignment: Chaotic
Posted on March 7, 2013 at 8:29 am

If we are talking dlc a carthage, parthian empire or fall of rome/steppe horde dlc would be more fun than egypt.

Posted on March 7, 2013 at 4:32 pm

why not all of them? 5-10 bucks for DLC I would gladly pay :D

Level 8 Human gamer
Alignment: Lawful
Posted on March 8, 2013 at 3:59 am

I'd happily throw in $5-10 for a new campaign DLC as well, must be much easier for you guys to do rather than creating an entirely new game.

Hell, make a map that encompasses the whole known Roman world, and let us start from Rome alone and build it our way. You could name your price for that and I'd beg borrow and steal to pay it.

Level 7 Human gamer
Posted on March 12, 2013 at 8:24 pm

I've asked for Hegemony: The World before. A mind-numbingly massive game with all the details of Hegemony, but with a map of the world. Start from one tiny city and conquer them all.

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on March 26, 2013 at 11:45 am

hegemony world will be awesome, but it will be a mod, and not yet.

Level 6 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on March 27, 2013 at 6:50 pm

Hegemony Napoleon. This engine would work beautifully with napoloenic battles and supply. I second the DLC idea. But I understand why Rome. Roman Empire is probably the most popular with the masses and Longbow games understandably want to make a living. Phillip's campaigns may have turned off some of the more casual gamers but Rome will attract more people. And they can also appeal the hardcore gamers because the engine is so great!

Level 7 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on March 27, 2013 at 8:41 pm

because anything roman is the best. personally, i'm glad you chose caesars gallic campaign. i loved reading his book and he's in my opinion the best general/statesman of the ancient world. hopefully the game will be great and then you guys can do a dlc continuing with the same story line and going right into the civil war and we can go into italy and greece since you have that map basically already since they fought there.

Level 6 Human God, Writer, Amateur Roman historian/Greek (Ish)
Alignment: Evil
Posted on April 24, 2013 at 7:34 am

Hegemony Napoleon. This engine would work beautifully with napoloenic battles and supply. I second the DLC idea. But I understand why Rome. Roman Empire is probably the most popular with the masses and Longbow games understandably want to make a living. Phillip's campaigns may have turned off some of the more casual gamers but Rome will attract more people. And they can also appeal the hardcore gamers because the engine is so great!

I doubt Roman Empire games are popular with the masses mostly because there are hardly any games out there set during the Roman Empire. Europa Universalis, Grand Ages, Rome total War, and others were all set during the Roman Republic, as is, Hegemoney Rome. There are only a few mods that are set after 27BC when the Roman empire began, though you could call Rome an empire after it basically threw Pyrrhus out of Italia as Rome stated as a tiny tiny city state....But hey, I am massively digressing.

I would love to see A campaign featuring Sulla and his journeys but that is just me bias as he is my favourite Roman. Cannot wait till this game is released though.

Would like to see a return of the Greeks with the Diadochi though, being able to play as either Macodeon, Selucids and Ptolemys (and all inbetween.) That would cover the east meditteranian. either way, I am purchasing this game!