Skip navigation

Books to help prepare for Hegemony Rome

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > Books to help prepare for Hegemony Rome
Level 8 Human Hegemon
Alignment: Lawful good
Posted on February 26, 2013 at 2:46 pm

I recently finished a novel simply titled Caesar - on Gaius Julius Caesar's campaigns in Gaul and his political then physical war against the Senate. Turns out it is the fifth book in Colleen McCullough's Masters of Rome series, of which I've now read the first and am well through the second. Anyone who is interested in a deep, detailed view of how the republic functioned need look no further. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masters_of_Rome

Sometimes the novels read like history books, and in some cases the narrative's pacing is slow as it deals with secondary characters, but it serves to bring unparalleled empathy for the lives of even the most famous and powerful figures. The battle scenes aren't as gritty and visceral as true war novels - mostly battles are seen via a general's eyes atop a nearby hill - but they serve well enough to grasp how the battles played out on a macro level and what ramifications their conduct would have on the notable figures.

Be prepared to learn more about the republic's customs, culture, and laws than you bargained for and to get lost in an expertly manifested ancient Mediterranean world.

Level 7 Human gamer
Alignment: Lawful
Posted on February 26, 2013 at 2:59 pm

I have only read The First Man in Rome so far.

I keep hoping they will convert the first half of the series into Kindle format then I'll pick them all up, thoroughly enjoyed the first one.

If you are looking for fiction at all, I'd highly recommend Simon Scarrow's Cato & Macro series (11 books so far), a great read start to finish.

Level 7 Human gamer
Alignment: Lawful good
Posted on March 14, 2013 at 7:12 pm

AMAZING BOOKS!

I have the entire series and it spans from Gaius Marius to Caesar to Octavius. I've read the entire series numerous times and it is simply astounding! I started naming all my characters in games after the people in her books! McCullough is an amazing author! I also started with the book titles "Caesar" and realized it was part of a series, best accidental discovery of my life! I went looking for some after reading Manfredi's (I think...) books on Alexander and thought maybe the Caesar book would be interesting. I add my recommendation to yours! In addition, you can buy Caesar's commentaries to the Senate on his campaign in Gaul (and elsewhere), also worth a read!