Skip navigation

Long Bow Games at GaymerX?

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > Long Bow Games at GaymerX?
Level 7 Human gamer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on February 18, 2013 at 3:28 am

I don't know if you've heard of GaymerX, but it's a gaming con for gays and their supporters. I'm hoping that if you can you'll try to make it there.

Level 13 Extraplanar Programmer
Posted on February 20, 2013 at 2:36 am

We have a very LGBT-friendly staff here, but unfortunately we're not planning on doing many conventions this year, and GaymerX is probably going to be too small and too far away to make it worthwhile.

That said, we certainly hope GaymerX goes well for their first year.

Level 8 Human Truffle Farmer
Alignment: Good
Posted on February 22, 2013 at 6:23 am

Forgive me if I seem naive or something, but do gay people play different games than others? Why do they have a games convention that is specifically organised around sexual orientation? Can't we all just play without deciding if someone is a gamer or a gaymer?

Level 7 Human gamer
Alignment: Lawful good
Posted on February 22, 2013 at 12:57 pm

I think it has to do with the American tendency to build up a frontier between "heterosexual-only" people, that seem to hate everything that has to do with sexuality and their 'norms', and homosexual people and their supporters (those who are tolerant in this way, I mean). Although officially hushed up, there are difficulties with homosexual people (or those who don't tolerate them, respectively) everywhere. Why should people that are older than our principles of tolerance (who were educated to condemn every differentness from left-handed writing to unusual sexual orientation) be flexible enough to adapt them? These principles aren't older than about seventy years, at least in most European countries.

It is the same question as why we shouldn't treat women the same as men, with the difference that this question has been in the public eye since about 1900-1910. Since then, substancial progress has been made, but we are not yet in the time, in which nobody would discriminate against someone because of his gender, his descent, his stature, his sexual orientation, his age, ...

Level 13 Extraplanar Programmer
Posted on February 22, 2013 at 7:33 pm

In particular, there's a lot of gaming communities that have a substantial amount of homophobia, so I can understand why it would be nice to go to a con where you know you'll be accepted. (That said, the current situation is much better at conventions than it is on places like XBox Live. Once you get rid of anonymous teenagers, people seem a lot more respective.)