Posted on February 3, 2013 at 5:22 am

one piece:
Not
Done
Yet.

Level 8 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on February 10, 2013 at 6:42 pm

I'm willing to wait as long as it takes but I am concerned about the lack of news. A steady drip of news during the development cycle is part of reminding gamers that, hey, awesome stuff that you should look forward to here.

Level 7 Human gamer
Alignment: Lawful good
Posted on February 10, 2013 at 8:23 pm

Or it says us that they are currently working on Rome even harder, so they have no time left for making spectacular news...

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on February 11, 2013 at 3:51 pm

Which would be pretty foolish because I assume they actually want people to know about their awesome game so that they remember to buy it when it comes out.

You gotta do atleast some marketing before release if you want your game to sell.

Level 7 Human gamer
Posted on February 11, 2013 at 5:28 pm

Which would be foolish to do in a little fan forum with users who simply HAVE TO know about Hegemony Rome already...

Level 14 Extraplanar Programmer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on February 11, 2013 at 10:33 pm

Don't worry. There's a reason we've had to remain silent lately, but it's good news. Stay tuned.

Level 8 Human
Posted on February 19, 2013 at 12:29 am

Don't worry. There's a reason we've had to remain silent lately, but it's good news. Stay tuned.

Thanks for calming my fears, Rick. When I first tried to load the website, it took a minute or two. I was worried Longbow had disappeared. Can't wait for Rome!

Level 7 Human gamer
Posted on February 26, 2013 at 6:15 pm

i cant whait moreeee jaja... 0 news :( I thought that the game would come out in February but I do not...and march?:S

Level 6 Human gamer
Posted on May 20, 2013 at 11:36 pm

have we gotten this news yet>? saw somewhere on the forum a post for january 2012 saying that we would not have to wait a year....um what?

Level 17 Extraplanar gamer
Posted on May 21, 2013 at 9:22 pm

Unfortunately, I don't have any official news right now other than to say that development is still going well. I did post a brief update on where things are last week if you haven't read it yet (http://www.longbowgames.com/forums/topic/?id=2980).

As soon as we have any more concrete information on the timeline we'll let you guys know. In the meantime, if you've got any questions about the game feel free to post them and I'll try to answer them as best I can.

Thanks again for your patience. We're really happy with the way things are coming together and we're doing our best to make sure it's worth the wait.

Level 8 Human gamer
Alignment: Lawful
Posted on May 21, 2013 at 10:32 pm

No more info on the reason you have had to remain silent?

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on May 22, 2013 at 1:15 pm

rob
Master! How many types of roman and celtic\german units shall we see in HR? Will roman legionnaires be most powerful among them, or not? Can you explain in detail about it?
Thank you for answer.

Posted on May 24, 2013 at 9:35 pm

No more info on the reason you have had to remain silent?

It's nothing really serious. We're just working on making a bigger launch for Rome and this requires coordinating with 3rd parties which complicates scheduling and what we can announce publicly. Plus, we obviously don't have the best track record for hitting deadlines so we're trying not to give out any more specifics until we really know for sure :)

How many types of roman and celtic\german units shall we see in HR? Will roman legionnaires be most powerful among them, or not? Can you explain in detail about it?

We've taken a slightly different approach to unit types in Rome than a lot of other strategy games. Rather than having dozens of somewhat artificially differentiated unit types, we've got roughly half a dozen unit classes per faction (spearmen, javelineers, slingers, cavalry, etc) and then a wide range of upgrade options via the new officer system that lets you specialize them to be anything from a small, fast scouting unit to a large, disciplined battleline.

As far as the legions are concerned, man-to-man they are probably the toughest and most flexible unit in the game. However, one of the interesting things about Caesar's campaigns is that he was almost always greatly outnumbered and far from reinforcements so you'll need to be careful not to waste your legions. Furthermore, as in the original games, supplies and combined arms are critical to combat in Rome, so if you find yourself with a lone legion deep in enemy territory, it wouldn't be hard for a small, fast moving enemy to evade your legion, cut it's supply lines and force it to rout.

Level 8 Human gamer
Alignment: Lawful
Posted on May 26, 2013 at 6:35 am

I'd say all of us here are a guaranteed sale, so would a couple missed deadlines really be a bad thing? Some idea better than none at all, and I trust we are mature enough not to beat anyone with a stick if a date is missed (didn't notice any as the original estimate was missed).

Excited to know that this game is actually going to represent the fact that the legions were primarily heavy infantry. Tear you to pieces, but only if they can get in range first. Historically many enemies of Rome did learn to adapt to the legions, for most though it was usually too late to matter. Look forward to seeing this in action.

Level 7 Human gamer
Posted on May 27, 2013 at 8:42 pm

That stuff about cutting your supply lines sounds really good, but given the AI in Hegemony Gold I find it hard to believe that it would happen. Is this something that we can realistically expect the AI to do?

Posted on May 28, 2013 at 11:03 pm

That stuff about cutting your supply lines sounds really good, but given the AI in Hegemony Gold I find it hard to believe that it would happen. Is this something that we can realistically expect the AI to do?

AI is a never-ending task and I'll admit that I couldn't implement all of the tactics in Gold that I would have liked to. Thankfully, Rome largely builds on top of the AI in Gold so I've had a chance to expand the tactics the AI will use against you. Additionally, while most of the streamlining we've done to the supply system has been to help the player, some of the changes like eliminating worker caravans and expanding supply ranges also makes it easier for the AI to use those systems.

Level 7 Human gamer
Posted on May 29, 2013 at 8:41 am

[...] some of the changes like eliminating worker caravans[...]

Erm, what exatly do you mean with that? I think you don't mean the little wagons rolling down the roads like mad, so do you mean the possibility for workers to carry food or rather the need for workers slowly chasing your heavy infantry until their food is all eaten?
Or do you want to say I'm not the only one who had to rally 12 full stacks of slaves (well, they all already were in Pharsalus) to fill their food cap in Thessaly and to make them march into deepest Illyria and to the shores of Danube river?

Posted on May 29, 2013 at 2:20 pm

Yes, you've got it right. I don't know if I've gone into detail on this in the past, but as part of refining the features and trying to focus more on the strategically interesting decisions, workers and slaves in Rome can't carry supplies like they did in Gold.

In their place you can now build supply camps out in the field and connect those back using supply lines that will automatically move the food out to your troops (using the wagons) during a battle or siege, and you can also put your units into a "heavy march" stance that will allow them to carry a lot more food at the expense of some of their combat skills.

It's our hope that this should reduce some of the micromanagement of building, moving and disbanding lot's of workers and fit historically with the importance of the Roman camps.

Level 7 Human gamer
Posted on May 29, 2013 at 8:36 pm

I hardly ever used workers, if any, I built walls with them, but I did not seem to have a need for their food carrying services more than once in a whole campaign (and that more because of impatience rather than real need of it).

But this sounds good. If a heavy march unit is attacked, can it just make a big pile with its excess food and rearrange into fighting stance (like those piles slowly fading away after a surrendered unit left them behind) or do you have to build a supply camp / fort to dump the extra food into it if you don't want it to be lost?

Are there other strategies for the barbarian factions or do they also build supply camps?

Pages 1 2