Skip navigation

WHY DO WE GET YELLED AT FOR SAYING MERRY CHRISTMAS????

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > General Chatter > WHY DO WE GET YELLED AT FOR SAYING MERRY CHRISTMAS????
Level 12 Human Cyb0rg tank pil0t:|@- ҉҈҉҈҉-§¹Ç--҉҈҉-
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on December 23, 2012 at 4:48 am

Happy Holidays vs. Merry Christmas
Posted on December 20, 2012 by Alison L http://hardcoversandheroines.com/2012/12/20/happy-holidays-vs-merry-christmas/

Is this penguin the mascot for something? If he is, I don’t know what it is and we’re not endorsing it. I just think he’s cute.

I’ve been waiting all year to make this post (I’ve seriously been thinking about this since I went Petal Pushing earlier this year). Well, the holiday season is finally upon us, so it’s time to have a chat about season greetings.

I am a christian and I celebrate Christmas. I know people who are also christians who celebrate Christmas. I know people who aren’t religious and celebrate Christmas. I know people who don’t celebrate Christmas at all. Know what people I don’t know? I don’t know anyone who has ever gotten offended when I wished them a Merry Christmas instead of a Happy Holidays.

I have met some people who like to pretend like they cannot say Merry Christmas to anyone ever. But that’s just not true. Unless you work for a company that has a policy against religious greetings (I’m sure there’s some official name for this, but I don’t know what it is), you can pretty much say whatever you want to whoever you want.

Christmas is everywhere. If you celebrate Christmas it’s not a secret you have to keep; most of America is celebrating with you. Most TV shows do a Christmas episode. Jimmy Fallon sang Christmas carols with Anne Hathaway on his show. Stores have Christmas sales. Schools can call it winter break all they want, but it doesn’t move with Hanukkah.

I have heard people talk as if christians are persecuted in America (because they think they can’t wish anyone a Merry Christmas). Um… what? Two hints that christians aren’t persecuted in America: no one is trying to kill christians for their faith, and every president we’ve ever had is/was a christian. Seriously, when I hear people complain about how they can’t wish anyone a Merry Christmas all I hear is, “I can’t be sensitive to the fact that people might have different beliefs than I do!”

So wish people a Merry Christmas if you want. But be sensible about it. If you know someone doesn’t celebrate Christmas, it’s nice to wish them Happy Holidays or Hanukkah or Kwanza or Saturnalia, whatever they celebrate… or even just a nice day if they don’t celebrate anything.

Level 5 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on December 4, 2013 at 12:57 am

I say Merry Christmas regardless of what people think, there is a lot of negativity in this world and if they don't like it tough :) It takes smile to defeat nastiness I think.