Skip navigation

Hegemony Gold crash

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Longbow Support > Hegemony Gold crash
Level 6 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on December 21, 2012 at 11:34 am

Hello,

I recently bought Gold tru steam as I enjoyed the original Hegemony so much. I almost finished the original but it kept crashing near the end. I figured this was due to the fact that I had conquered almost the entire map and my memory wasn't sufficient. However, Gold crashes as soon as I start, rigt after I command Phillip and his companions to replenish at the nearby farm. The game autodetects my hardware to high settings. I haven't tried lowering these yet. As for the crash, it's total: screens goes black and I have to reset. I have experienced these kind of crashes with other games lately. I'm unable to play most new games, even those that are allready a year old. I didn't have the issue before. I played Space Marine for instance, back when it came out (with low specs) but had no crashes, or very little. and I assume it's a Win 7 problem (not a hegemony problem). With Sid meiers Railroads (the new version obv.) I had the same. Online I found that Win 7 can have a problem accessing enough Ram making games that demand a lot of it to lag or even crash. Since I have 4gigs of ram I should have more than enough. For Railroads I found a fix, somebody made an .exe for RR that changed something in Win 7 so that it does access the extra Ram if needed, the game hardly crashes anymore. I was wondering, is there such a fix for Hegemony? Or does anyone know how to fix this Ram issue with Win 7 in general? My system is:
Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Pentium E5200 dual core processor 2,5 ghrz
4 gigs of Ram
Radeon HD 4800

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Level 6 Human gamer
Posted on December 21, 2012 at 12:36 pm

So I lowered the specs to medium and turned off fullscreen, this gave me about an hour playing time before crashing again.

Level 14 Extraplanar Programmer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on December 22, 2012 at 12:32 am

Based on what you're describing, my first thought would be that your GPU or CPU is overheating. Try cleaning any dust that's collecting in your computer (you can actually turn it off and vacuum it) and move it away from any heaters or any other heat sources. You can also go into the Catalyst Control Centre and turn the fan speed up on your Radeon.

As far as the RAM goes, unfortunately Windows will limit it to 2GB since it's a 32-bit app. For Hegemony Rome we'll be including 32- and 64-bit versions so you can use extra RAM on high-end machines, but we don't have anything like that for Gold.

Level 6 Human gamer
Posted on December 22, 2012 at 3:56 am

Tenx fr your reply, I assume your right. Lowering the specs further gave me a couple of hours without crashing. That is with the version I Dl'ed from the site to try out if it worked better than steam. Didn't know about the 32/64 bit thingy. And thanks for pointing out the caalyst control center totally forgot how it's called so forgot where to search for it. Will post if problems abate. For now: on t voictory. On a sidenote. For purists it would be nice to include an option to work through the objectives chronologicly. What I gather form the objectives list you gguys tried to do so but I think some things are somewhat random. Off course every player should be able to do it 'their own way' but a historicly sound option would be nice. Thanks for the hep and looking forward to Rome!