Skip navigation

"Organic Warfare" in Hegemony

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > News > "Organic Warfare" in Hegemony
Level 16 Extraplanar gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on December 20, 2012 at 4:01 pm
Tagged: hegemony

We just found out about a fascinating pair of articles by game designer and blogger Josh Raab about how he finds Hegemony facilitates "organic warfare" better than anything else on the market. To use his words:

"... Hegemony creates an experience like none other. When I studied ancient history in college, I read about all these things: the impact of geography, the importance of logistics, the convenience of naval transport, the difficulty of siege. But I didn’t know exactly how they worked. Hegemony brings them to life in a way that makes it all click better than any other strategy game I’ve played."

Read the whole articles here: Part 1 and Part 2.

Level 7 Human gamer
Alignment: Lawful
Posted on December 25, 2012 at 8:55 pm

I have been thinking (Yes it hurt).

Unless I am mistaken, Romans fairly often fought battles that wouldn't be eclipsed in sheer numbers again until the first world war.

This article has made me curious. One of RTWs main let downs over the past decade for me has been the inability to take an actual legion/multiple legion sized forces into battle against these enormous armies of history and legend.

So my question is, how do you fine folks intend to represent the massive scale of battles such as those against the Helvetii, Suebi and the assorted tribes of the Belgae?

Not intending to make any sort of unreasonable demands here, merely curious.

Level 8 Human Hegemon
Alignment: Lawful good
Posted on December 27, 2012 at 3:12 pm

A great pair of articles. I'm glad to see Hegemony getting some well deserved amorous media exposure.

Level 16 Extraplanar gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on January 9, 2013 at 6:00 pm

ISo my question is, how do you fine folks intend to represent the massive scale of battles such as those against the Helvetii, Suebi and the assorted tribes of the Belgae?

I think there's some debate on exactly how big some of the battles were in the gallic wars as Caesar was thought to be exaggerating his account for propaganda purposes back in Rome. However, the asymmetric nature of the gallic wars was one of the things that really drew us to this period. While we're not planning on showing a 1:1 simulation of the battles (we'll leave that to the 100+ folks at creative assembly), we've bumped the unit count a little from Gold and, more importantly I think, we've focused on recreating the strategies that caesar used to overcome these odds. Specifically, we've added a lot of new engineering options (more flexible forts, siege towers, scorpions, etc) and we've also expanded the tactical side (with new stances and better unit ai) to make it more important how you use your troops not just how many you have.