Skip navigation

A harvest of slaves

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > A harvest of slaves
Level 8 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on December 18, 2012 at 3:58 pm

After capturing all the Paeonia cities I discovered masses of Paeonian units between the NW Paeonia Watchtower and the N Penestae Watchtower. They had all ran out of food so were very easy to capture. I ended up with over 300 slaves.
Why did the Paeonians hide all these units and not use them when I attacked their cities?
As I tried to get the slaves moved to cities or mines one unit of slaves who hadn't moved started spinning around. Why?

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on December 18, 2012 at 10:25 pm

Sometimes multiple AIs get into some wierd "fight" where no one dies, but everyone runs out of food.

When you appear, they fight for real and everyone routs everyone else....

Level 8 Human Hegemon
Alignment: Lawful good
Posted on December 19, 2012 at 3:57 pm

I've seen that too, actually very close to where Anon described it, yet in my case it was an substantial Illyrian force, mixed hoplites and peltasts, all stationary and starving, routing upon first contact with my troops. This was after I had taken all their southern cities, with battles large enough to be fun and challenging - but it would have been more so if these other units had been involved.

Level 6 Human Keen gamer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on January 18, 2013 at 12:46 am

Pity they didn't join the fight to save their kingdom but you got the manpower to work all those mines in Paeonia and beyond. Didn't have the same issue when I conquered Paeonia. Beseiged 2 cities at a time and the garrison in each city all came out and fought my besiegers everytime. Had to make sure my catapaults were behind some hoplites/phalangites and not just peltasts/javelineers. Those tribal cavaly units are tough on light troops. Captured all routed units to work the many mines in the area.

Level 21 Extraplanar gamer
Posted on January 20, 2013 at 5:02 pm

What can happen, is that the AI has made a decision to attack and moves a force towards its target, but can change its mind and withdraw if you suddenly reinforce the area that the AI has targeted.

Normally, if the AI sees you moving towards it with a larger force, it will change its plan and retreat.

Occasionally the AI gets confused when you've reinforced the targeted area with just enough troops, that the AI decides to stop but not enough troops to scare the AI into retreating. In this case, the AI can hold its ground, but if not in supply range, will eventually run out of food, making it rout if attacked.

Rob is overhauling the AI for Rome, so we're hoping it will provide an even more realistic challenge.