Skip navigation

New Resource

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > New Resource
Level 8 Human Hegemon
Alignment: Lawful good
Posted on December 16, 2012 at 2:27 pm

So in Rome we've got a new resource in the mix - Wood, for forts, bridges, and supply camps. Sounds pretty engrossing. But will this be handled like food, moved by supply links and restricted by their distance and level? I guess that's dependent om how hard it will be to gather on-site. From what I've read it seems it was pretty plentiful, considering the amount of woodwork mentioned throughout the Caesar's commentaries/

An interesting note. In order to cull the druids and demoralize their adherents, during at least one march Caesar and his legions specifically cut down every oak tree on a miles wide front - The oak tree being sacred to the Druid religion and a center piece of many rituals. So at least we know that legionaries were accustomed to the axe. But will the Celts and Belgae have an equivalent?

Level 7 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on December 16, 2012 at 4:04 pm

An interesting note. In order to cull the druids and demoralize their adherents, during at least one march Caesar and his legions specifically cut down every oak tree on a miles wide front - The oak tree being sacred to the Druid religion and a center piece of many rituals. So at least we know that legionaries were accustomed to the axe. But will the Celts and Belgae have an equivalent?
Ooh what if they have the opposite, and plant trees? Does that even make sense...

Level 8 Human Hegemon
Alignment: Lawful good
Posted on December 16, 2012 at 6:13 pm

I don't remember anything about either side replanting what they cut down. Sustainability isn't really a theme of the ancient world. Besides, how long was Caesar engaged in Gaul? I think he really got into the swing of things around 55bc and was killed in 44 (again off the top of my head) - so trees wouldn't really have time to mature in the campaign's scope.