Skip navigation

Question about sound decompression

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > Question about sound decompression
Level 6 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on November 25, 2012 at 6:02 am

When I first run Hegemony it decompresses the .ogg files in the install directory into .wav files in my C:\Program Data\Longbow Digital Arts directory. But I don't want it to do that - I have limited space on my C: partition and 700+ megs of .wav files is not what I want to be there. Is there a way I can have it decompress them to a directory of my choosing; alternately, is there a way I can have hegemony look for those sound files in a different directory; alternately, should I just overwrite the sound files with blank, half-second ones and play the game without sound?

Level 14 Extraplanar Programmer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on November 25, 2012 at 1:28 pm

C:\ProgramData is a standard Windows directory, and unfortunately we didn't make the game configurable enough to look in a different location.

There are ways to move your ProgramData folder, but do so at your own risk.

I'm not sure how safe it is to replace the sounds with half-second files. It will make your cutscenes fly by, since those are timed by the sound files. It could also increase CPU and hard drive usage, since the game will have to load a new sound file more often.

This situation will get better in Hegemony Rome, since we'd updated to sound engine to support reading from ogg files directly, but unfortunately it remains a limitation in Hegemony Gold.