Skip navigation

Is it possible to destroy a City beyond repair?

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > Is it possible to destroy a City beyond repair?
Level 6 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on November 6, 2012 at 6:59 pm

I'm playing as Macedonia and having big trouble with micromanagement, I have enough gold but the food supplies are always on the verge of minimum. Having to connect so many cities is a real pain especially when you conquer cities that mean nothing strategically (but you have to do it to stop their attacks) and when they are yours they must be feed or they will rebel.

I guess one possible solution would be to raise the food quantities within a script (if its possible but I'm not happy about it) or which I prefer to destroy unneeded cities completely from the map which would also be historically correct.

Is it possible to do it or I'm missing something in my play with a proper micromanagement?

Level 8 Human Gamer
Alignment: Good
Posted on November 6, 2012 at 11:35 pm

Not sure if you knew this already, but in options under Gameplay, there's a setting to increase food production.
You can set food production to normal or high.

What I usually find myself doing after conquering a city that has trouble keeping itself fed, is sending loads of food via slaves/workers, from other cities.
Scavenging the area for sheep helps also.

Try not to rush too much when conquering cities, or to spread yourself too thin.

There's no way to completely destroy cities, as far as I know.

Level 13 Extraplanar Programmer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on November 7, 2012 at 4:03 am

Historically Philip razed one city, but unfortunately we can't reproduce that. More typically, when cities rebelled Philip would just tear down their walls. This made them insecure enough that they were no longer willing to rebel.

You can do this in Hegemony; just select a unit and hold the right mouse button over a city to issue a "dismantle walls" command. This makes your city less defendable, but vastly reduces the amount of troops required to prevent a rebellion and, as a result, also reduces the number of mouths to feed.

Level 6 Human gamer
Posted on November 16, 2012 at 1:53 pm

Thanks for the answers, it helped me to solve the micromanagement problems. Excellent game, looking forward for Hegemony: Rome.

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on November 17, 2012 at 2:59 pm

Sometimes having to deal with every little village's rebellion gets annoying. Especially the ones that have no farms nearby and the garrison eats all their food.

Thankfully, after enough time, there's so much food around that they eventually just get stuck near 100% of max storage and it's never an issue.

Level 6 Human gamer
Posted on December 16, 2012 at 10:54 am

Sometimes having to deal with every little village's rebellion gets annoying. Especially the ones that have no farms nearby and the garrison eats all their food.

Thankfully, after enough time, there's so much food around that they eventually just get stuck near 100% of max storage and it's never an issue.

Actually it never comes to to much food (Macedonia campaign), especially in new conquered cities and I constantly have to balance and take care of the food. However I have a tactics to make the food supply bearable, I don't conquer all the cities but only these which have at least one farm (preferably two) nearby. Sometimes one farm is just not enough and than I first fulfill the objectives than conquer all farms, mines and shrines in the area and than make a truce with that faction. They are stripped from food and gold and I don't have to feed their population.

This is the best tactics I have so far discovered.

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on December 16, 2012 at 4:02 pm

Actually it never comes to to much food (Macedonia campaign), especially in new conquered cities and I constantly have to balance and take care of the food. However I have a tactics to make the food supply bearable, I don't conquer all the cities but only these which have at least one farm (preferably two) nearby. Sometimes one farm is just not enough and than I first fulfill the objectives than conquer all farms, mines and shrines in the area and than make a truce with that faction. They are stripped from food and gold and I don't have to feed their population.

This is the best tactics I have so far discovered.

In campaigns that let you make alliances that's great. I sort of dislike having truce-d people around. Though that also gives money.

With de-walled cities, it isn't too hard to keep them full of food, remember that farms can also have their supply lines dragged across the map. In a year, a farm produces (I think) on average less than 15/week, so a farm's full output can be transferred though as long as supply route as you like. There might be some loss in Autumn.

As for new cities, I never have the problem. It's two fold, but a big part is the troops nearby eat tons of food. Thus, though it's annoying, I've taken to just having huge masses of workers, and of course, create a supply line all the way back to (Massive city here). A pella land route is great, and ensures you have recruit lines back at all time.

Sea routes, in particular, are very troublesome. I much prefer to have overland routes because they don't break every fourth season.

Level 8 Human Hegemon
Alignment: Lawful good
Posted on December 16, 2012 at 6:19 pm

Agreed Alavaria, I normally reserve a few supply nodes in big/productive cities to use when I conquer a barren region, to send to an emergency need, or to direct to my army's assembly point.