Skip navigation

Quick Questions about Triremes

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > Quick Questions about Triremes
Level 6 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on October 28, 2012 at 1:41 pm

I feel like I'm missing something in regards to using Triremes.

Every time I reset its course, it stops completely.
When directed ran an oncoming enemy Trireme, it circles about and tries to follow from behind instead of hitting it diagonally as it comes by. This is when the enemy is moving and passing my ship.
Large groups of Triremes stutter and jump as they move to their destination.

These are small things I've noticed about Triremes but they make it really hard to make use of them.
What am I doing wrong or is it simply the way they are designed?

And for clarification, Triremes carrying troops do more damage when locked in combat with other ships right?

EDIT: If my assumption as stated above is correct (if not, disregard), does the size and damage of the ferried unit matter when ships engage each other? If this is all part of the ingame manual sorry lol.
Thanks in advance!

Level 6 Human Let's Player
Alignment: Chaotic evil
Posted on October 29, 2012 at 11:19 am

I have noticed that myself when I tired to use the Triremes in the game, and to be completely honest with you I suck at naval conflicts so that doesn't help me out either haha.

As for the carrying troops, I do believe that one is correct, however I doubt it matters what troops are in it, because I remember getting one of my ships destroyed when I was carry Macedonian Phalanx vs one with Scout Cavalry. Anyway I would also like to know, so I do hope someone can help us.

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on October 29, 2012 at 10:41 pm

i find using run helps them move about better

Level 6 Human gamer
Posted on October 30, 2012 at 1:09 am

The Run skill definitely helps and also increases the damage upon impact. But I find it nigh on impossible to catch Athenian Triremes though, even with a charge when the ships refuse to engage directly (as in they circle around to chase the tail of their ships) D:

Level 7 Human gamer
Alignment: Lawful good
Posted on October 30, 2012 at 8:09 am

The problem is: Macedonian triremes WERE not able to break Athens' superior naval power and in Hegemony this is represented by their triremes being faster and able to carry more food, while Persian triremes are stronger (not much, 2075 or 2050 I think), probably because the Persians had more (and more skilled) shipwrights and/or better sailors available. Or they just thought their triremes would be protected better if they stationed their elite troops on these triremes...

Level 6 Human gamer
Posted on October 30, 2012 at 11:38 pm

I've seen this too. When a ship is going to pass by I try to make a intersecting course with the enemy trireme. If I do not make a intersecting course my Athenian triremes will tail behind as well, until it bumps into the back of the ship, instead of losing sight of the enemy, but it also doesn't give me a ram bonus either.

I have also realized, sometimes when you pause, and then unpause the game the triremes come to a complete stop, and then continue going. Losing all momentum and sometimes ramming speed. Why is this? It can be the worst thing that can happen during a naval invasion.

Also, Hythlodaeus, not only do triremes fight better in boarding action when they have troops garrisoned in them, they are also slower.

My tactic when I fight with triremes is to space them out. Let's see if i can give you a picture. ^ = triremes

^~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~^
~~~~~~~^

With this formation it allows me to intersect triremes. Allowing one trireme to be rammed by another trireme is also something I'll use, if the enemy trireme is moving slow enough of course. When the enemy rams you, he will get stuck to your trireme, giving you enough time and a opening to ram it full speed and sink it in one hit.

Something about troops on triremes. Sometimes no matter how good the infantry on the triremes are it can still be sunk doing boarding actions. How this happens is when one of the triremes rams the other, depending on the speed (As far as I know), it gives the trireme a ram bonus. The ram bonus depletes the hp of the ship getting rammed. for example, trireme A rams trireme B, going at 3/4 of top speed, equals ramming bonus of 1750. (those aren't exact numbers, just examples) That 1750 is taken out of trireme B's health of 2000, which leaves it at just 250. Which is more than low enough for a scout cavalry brigade to defeat a phalanx brigade on a trireme.

The triremes are very interesting on this game, and one of my main reason of playing, but they do have some bugs to be worked out

Level 6 Human gamer
Posted on November 2, 2012 at 9:36 am

I'll give that formation a shot when I have a time to play again. I think I see how it's supposed to work. And I'll have to try clicking behind the enemy ships to keep mine on an intersecting course; too bad they don't apply ramming bonus that way though. A question though, do you control you triremes one at a time or in groups? I find my triremes stutter and lag when trying to move together.