Skip navigation

Hegemony Gold, questions and comments from a new player

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > Hegemony Gold, questions and comments from a new player
Level 6 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on October 23, 2012 at 3:31 am
Tagged: pause multiplayer supply lines

Got this game two weeks ago. Once over the confusion about registration I have logged about 40 hours so far. This is addictive!
I used to do a lot of ancients miniatures gaming and this is the closest thing I have seen on computer so far. Well done.

Pity there is no multiplayer option. That would be awesome.

My main gripe is the amount of time spent paused. Thinking about it I suspect a lot of it comes from a mismatch between tactical and strategic time.
The time it takes to fight a pitched field battle in the game (less than a day historically once the armies engaged) translates to several weeks in game time. So, battles that start weeks apart can still overlap, and micromanaging the tactics makes a huge difference to the outcomes.

Have you looked at possibly shifting into "tactical time" when a field battle (not a siege) occurs? Then you'd be able to fight the battles one by one without having to swap to and fro constantly. It would be more enjoyable and possibly quicker to play.

And one simple question, is there any way to delete a supply line once it has been created, other than having an end node change hands? This drives me nuts when I realise I made a mistake!
Edit: okay I found the supply line answer on the forums, will look a little closer for that!

Level 13 Extraplanar Programmer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on October 24, 2012 at 12:40 am

Multiplayer would be cool. Unfortunately, we're only a 6-person team, so we didn't have the resources to do multiplayer any justice. With Rome, we're pretty much covering every request the community has, with the exception of multiplayer. If we ever do a third Hegemony game, I think multiplayer would be the focus.

Part of the problem with micromanaging units will be solved with Rome's initiative system, which allows you to issue standing orders to your troops. For instance, if you want your troops to guard a pass, you can just station them there and issue a standing order, and they'll react to any enemies that approach. We're also trying to make it more obvious when an important threat appears, so you won't miss anything.

In some of our wilder discussions, we've talked about some sort of "pocket time", where you would have an ability to freeze the outside world. I think it would have to be a limited ability, because if we allow the player to do that too much, it would interfere with the ebb and flow of battles and reinforcements. It's also difficult to consolidate a feature like that with the historical context of the Hegemony games. Just to be clear, this isn't a feature we're working on, but it is something we've thought about.

Level 6 Human gamer
Posted on October 25, 2012 at 11:12 pm

Heh. Maybe I should move to Toronto and give you a hand!

Pocket time, that's probably close to the sort of thing I was thinking of. I suspect it would also need to affect distances.

One of my other pet hates so far is losing a garrisoned city to a weak attacking force because I didn't order them to sortie out and make a fight of it before the city was captured! Will standing orders cover that sort of thing?

Posted on October 26, 2012 at 12:24 am

Possibly; that's something we're still sorting out.

Level 6 Human Let's Player
Alignment: Chaotic evil
Posted on October 29, 2012 at 11:31 am

As much as I would like to see a Hegemony game be multiplayer, I cant help but thing in the past of other games who tried to incorporate multiplayer just to have the game turned into a pile of crap.

For the ideas on the new Hegemony Rome, I have got to say that sounds awesome, I don't know how many times I wish I could of had troops like on guard mode, so my village/city would not have been captured. As for the pause, I can't see the game being played with out it, however it would be nice to have a priority threat level in the next game, cause when I cycle through then notifications on troop movement, its normally enemy AI gathering sheep or something.

For a closing note, I hope you guys at Longbow don't have to rush this game out, as much as I hate saying that, I would rather have a finished product then something that wouldn't be fun to play. Sorry one last thing, do you guys plan on releasing a beta type for the game or have you thought about? Would be nice to build the hype and showcase it on my YouTube channel lol.

Level 6 Human gamer
Posted on October 30, 2012 at 12:18 am

I guess the pausing would be one of the big obstacles for multiplayer, unless all the factions are controlled by players anyway (level playing field).
Against the computer I think you will always need to pause to manage recruiting and supply. I was just looking for ways to make the battles flow better.

Level 7 Human gamer
Posted on November 4, 2012 at 9:08 am

The only way i would consent to a hegemony multiplayer game is maybe a co-op or a very large lobby one. so long as nobody dumbs it down, all is fair :D

Level 6 Human gamer
Posted on November 13, 2012 at 12:44 am

Can you guys please please make hegemony gold for xbox 360 please.

Level 8 Human CEO
Alignment: Lawful good
Posted on November 13, 2012 at 3:18 am

I second the "take your time". I also think it would be cool to be able to pay you now for Rome... That's just me. Since I'm STILL playing HG I kind of feel like I should be paying a little more for the 900 or so hours I've spent in the game.

Posted on November 15, 2012 at 1:48 am

Can you guys please please make hegemony gold for xbox 360 please.
I actually put the time in to make our input manager flexible enough that you can bind your controls to a 360 controller (assuming you have the 360 receiver for your PC) and you can even play around with that by hacking the controls.xml file (see the commented out stuff at the very bottom), but the game is very heavily mouse-driven, and moving a cursor with a controller sucks.