Skip navigation

The smoothness of DX-Ball 2 transcends everything else...but why?

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Arcade Games > The smoothness of DX-Ball 2 transcends everything else...but why?
Level 9 Human
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on October 13, 2012 at 8:02 am

Something I've always wondered about is the superior smoothness of DX-Ball 2. In spite of the fact that Rival Ball was based on the same game engine, there is a difference in the appearance of the frame rate between the two...and it seems the succeeding casual games were based on the same engine update from there.

Even if objects in DX-Ball 2 may appear to have a slight frame skip at times (due to processing demands from stuff I run in the background), there is still this exceptional smoothness about it which transcends everything else. Surely I can't be the only one to notice this?

So what is it about DX-Ball 2 that makes it run so exceptionally smooth, and why was this quality deprived in Rival Ball and the succeeding games?

Level 5 Human gamer
Posted on December 4, 2013 at 1:11 am

Is it just when the lightning effects show up or other particle effects? I found out the way to solve this is to turn off the background completely. My eyes have a hard time seeing the bricks when I have the background on half bright or fully lit.

Level 9 Human
Posted on December 16, 2013 at 6:42 pm

I'm not really sure what exactly you are referring to ? My opening post was in regards to the game's frame rate, which determines the smoothness of all realtime motion, like the movement of the balls, power-ups and particle effects. I believe DX-Ball 2 runs very close to 60 frames per second, while it appears that the frame rate of Longbow's succeeding casual games were significantly reduced, starting with Rival Ball.

Level 4 Human gamer
Posted on April 23, 2015 at 12:12 pm

After playing around with some screen captures, I found it fascinating to watch the footage in reverse, which eventually coalesced into this !

Level 12 Human Cyb0rg tank pil0t:|@- ҉҈҉҈҉-§¹Ç--҉҈҉-
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on June 2, 2015 at 5:05 am

with nothing better to say, its obviously great....

Level 3 Human gamer
Posted on September 2, 2015 at 12:25 pm

It's even more smoother if played using a vintage CRT tube monitor

Level 12 Human Cyb0rg tank pil0t:|@- ҉҈҉҈҉-§¹Ç--҉҈҉-
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on July 17, 2017 at 10:02 am

Something I've always wondered about is the superior smoothness of DX-Ball 2. In spite of the fact that Rival Ball was based on the same game engine, there is a difference in the appearance of the frame rate between the two...and it seems the succeeding casual games were based on the same engine update from there.

Even if objects in DX-Ball 2 may appear to have a slight frame skip at times (due to processing demands from stuff I run in the background), there is still this exceptional smoothness about it which transcends everything else. Surely I can't be the only one to notice this?

So what is it about DX-Ball 2 that makes it run so exceptionally smooth, and why was this quality deprived in Rival Ball and the succeeding games?

the key is in the resources.GKA

ever since the old format .BDS was dropped, the way rival ball renders the boards has completely changed.

its also changes for new computer compatibility. good ol, DX Ball 2 was optimized to run on Win95/98 on an old Pentium II with 300mhz or so.

rival ball was made mostly to run (or tested on Pentium 4's and newer) its like that with almost any game or software application.

programmers don't update or test their games on Pentium II slot 1 CPU's so often times you don't notice a slow down or improvement until you test on different hardware.

many games add 64 bit support, some add support for new CPU extensions like .avx = i7

but yeah DX Ball 2 can run fast on an old pentium II slot1 333mhz CPU with a Quantum Bigfoot hard drive and AGP 2x video card.

if thats not fast? i don't know what is :)