Skip navigation

Question regarding monetizing my videos on youtube.

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > Question regarding monetizing my videos on youtube.
Level 7 Human Let's Player
Alignment: Chaotic evil
Posted on October 6, 2012 at 8:14 am

This is a post for the admins, or anyone who could help me with this, I was wanting to monetize my Hegemony videos I have been uploading and was unsure if I even could do so or if I would have to get some form of written permission. So my question is, will the creators of Hegemony Gold War of Ancient Greece have any issue with me monetizing my videos, or if it is even possible to do that in the first place.

Sorry for any inconvenience, I am still very new to a lot of these things. However I do know I would like to try and make a career in creating content and uploading it for entertainment or what have you. Any thing you can help me better understand will be grateful.

Level 7 Human gamer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on October 7, 2012 at 7:24 am

Not sure about this, but if you look on the right, theres a "no drm", so i imagine theres no copyright management, so i imagine it should be okay. i mean, you are kind of helping them in a way, making videos increases popularity for anyone who sees it, and will most likely purchase the game, so thence they make profit. i mean, thats the only way they can advertise the game, right?
So uh.. yeah... probably only the last bit. blasted beer logic.

Level 22 Extraplanar gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on October 9, 2012 at 7:15 am

We have "no DRM", but we do retain full control and manage the copyright on all of our material.... and all of our material is copyright.

DRM is an add-on and has nothing to do with copyright. DRM is all about restricting access and controlling distribution and when overdone, can be annoying. Copyright is about protecting the rights of the creator and grants the creators of original material, the exclusive right to exploit their work. We can contract out some of those rights to publishers, etc., but the copyright remains ours.

Your YouTube videos of gameplay can be considered game reviews. The copyright material used in the review can't be sold, just as a game mod can't be sold. The website that the game review or mod, etc., is posted on, can have paid advertising on it, which can earn you revenue. It's a grey area and if significantly large, usually requires legal clarification.

To avoid confusion it is always a good idea to post a copyright notice such as "all game material and related logos are copyright Longbow Digital Arts".

So, based on what you are doing now, there shouldn't be a problem, but you can contact me directly about any specifics.

Jim

Level 7 Human Let's Player
Alignment: Chaotic evil
Posted on October 12, 2012 at 4:02 pm

Thanks for the post Jim, I just wanted to make sure before hand. If any problem does come from it I will always just have them remove the ads.